Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Dec 2017, 07:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x
is debian the final soultion?
Moderators: BarryK, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
plaguedogs

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep 2009, 01:22    Post subject:  is debian the final soultion?  

i was wondering if all the development activity on dpup was a result of it being the only one made available?
i just noticed today that there was a 5.x section on the forum. it is nearly empty aside from gposil's dpup post, that has 644 replies and 20 thousand something views.
does debian woof the most stable puppy? or is it just that gposil likes debian and he was the first and only person to upload an iso?
i have been building spups since alpha7, but they dont work that well. ive had trouble with text editors, rxvt, and some other weird errors. anyway... i know im not the only one out there who is feverishly awaiting 5.0. and i know im not the only one who has woofed puppys with 2.6.30.5smp kernels and funny version numbers like 007 & 666.

so is dpup where it at? is it most compatible?
i dont use debian so i havent tried any debian puppys. but i will download right now and check it out.
i was just wondering if anyone else had good results with their woofed isos

btw gold stars for gposil on getting dpup up for test, and to the 600 posters and 20,000 readers promoting "rapid development"
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep 2009, 01:28    Post subject: Re: is debian the final soultion?  

plaguedogs wrote:
i was wondering if all the development activity on dpup was a result of it being the only one made available?
i just noticed today that there was a 5.x section on the forum. it is nearly empty aside from gposil's dpup post, that has 644 replies and 20 thousand something views.
does debian woof the most stable puppy? or is it just that gposil likes debian and he was the first and only person to upload an iso?
i have been building spups since alpha7, but they dont work that well. ive had trouble with text editors, rxvt, and some other weird errors. anyway... i know im not the only one out there who is feverishly awaiting 5.0. and i know im not the only one who has woofed puppys with 2.6.30.5smp kernels and funny version numbers like 007 & 666.

so is dpup where it at? is it most compatible?
i dont use debian so i havent tried any debian puppys. but i will download right now and check it out.
i was just wondering if anyone else had good results with their woofed isos

btw gold stars for gposil on getting dpup up for test, and to the 600 posters and 20,000 readers promoting "rapid development"

The first release of dPUP was by the user tronkel, and he didn't continue supporting it, I also built it a few times but never released it, on the early alpha, then the next version of woof came out and Gposil stepped up and built it and started massive updates, To my knowledge he's still running with it but has had some really bad net Sat-link outages, living in rural Australia.
ttuuxxx

James C

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep 2009, 01:42    Post subject:  

I built a few SPup's and had problems too. I had better luck with my Dpup's but I never was happy with those either.I'm better as a tester than a builder. Smile
dejan555

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep 2009, 04:23    Post subject:  

Why don't you both download and try out dpup476 j and compare yourself to spups you built/tried Wink
James C

PostPosted: Sat 12 Sep 2009, 04:40    Post subject:  

Been testing DPup since 4.76a...now up to 4.76 J.

It's not bad to build a pup using Woof, it's getting all the little details worked out where the real work comes in.Like I posted, I'm a better tester than builder. Smile
sunburnt

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec 2009, 02:01    Post subject:  

Opinions are many on the subject...
Basically Ubuntu chose Debian as a base for many good reasons.

Debian`s package repository is larger than any other distro`s. I believe.
Even so there`s a few app. packages I didn`t find at debian.org

To build on Debian also means your base OS is developed and supported
by hundreds of very talented people all over the world. A truly strong base...
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Next Puppy Development » 5.x
Jump to: