Puppy hangs when laptop lid is closed

Using applications, configuring, problems
Scar

Puppy hangs when laptop lid is closed

#1 Post by Scar »

Hi guys
I have just been running Puppy for a few days but I'm already in love with it. I have one disturbing issue though. Everytime I close the lid on my laptop the screen goes black, not switched off, and Puppy hangs. When I open the lid (or let the button that indicates closed or open up) the screen is black and I can still see the pointer but cannot move it.

Since I then have to turn it off on the button It won't let me start Xorg again without changing .XLOADED from true to false. Pretty annoying. I tried to search the forum but didn't find anyone with this problem.
I would love any advice on how to correct this. Thank you.

Scar

#2 Post by Scar »

Forgot to mention that I'm running v. 4.3.1. If anyone needs more info from me please say so. I thought that it might be a power manager that needs some configuring but I haven't found one yet. Is there one or do I have to install one?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Thanks again! :)

alienjeff

#3 Post by alienjeff »

RAM amount? Swap partition size?
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Scar

#4 Post by Scar »

RAM=512MB
Swap partition 5GB, 1,5GB free, Puppy is installed to the harddrive on that partition.

I actually saw that the lid switch is detected as an input device, connected to PNP0C0D/button/input0. Not sure what that means, I've looked for that folder or file but cannot find it. I did find a sys/devices/pnp0/power/wakeup file but it's empty.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

There might be some Fn key combos you could try in order to manually bring the screen back, until the problem is sorted. Look for keys that have pictures of monitors or say things like "LCD/CRT". I vaguely remember having a similar issue with my laptop in an older version of Puppy where I had to use one of those to get the screen back.

I'll try 4.3.1 on my laptop tomorrow evening to see if I can reproduce this (I have no problems at all with 4.0 through 4.2.1, but haven't tried 4.3.x on it yet).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

rjbrewer

#6 Post by rjbrewer »

5gb swap partition? :)

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

the pointer is visible... weird
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Scar

#8 Post by Scar »

There might be some Fn key combos you could try in order to manually bring the screen back,
Thanks for the tip, I've tried them all but without luck. It doesn't respond at all to any key input. Not even CapsLock can light the CL lamp on the computer
5gb swap partition? Smile
:) Yeah, sorry, kinda missunderstood. The whole partition is 5GB but swap is 1.42GB
the pointer is visible... weird
Agree, the screen is clearly on but completely black

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 510m by the way. Thanks all for your efforts

Pizzasgood

#9 Post by Pizzasgood »

Oh, I missed the part where you mentioned the cursor. It's definitely not what I thought it was then - there would be nothing at all, not even a cursor.

I just installed 4.3.1 on my laptop and nothing special happens when I close and open the lid.

Since you have an immobile cursor, what I'm guessing is that the laptop tried to enter some kind of sleep mode and either froze up, or entered the sleep mode but didn't come back out.

Maybe a boot option like acpi=force or acpi=off would help. If you boot Puppy from CD, you have a chance to enter that during the boot when it shows the Puppy logo and pauses for a bit. Prefix the option with "puppy ", like this:

Code: Select all

puppy acpi=off
I don't know if 4.3.1 has the code I added in 4.2.x that also displays the loading screen on USB boots. If it does, you do this the same way for those. Otherwise, you would need to mount the USB drive and edit the syslinux.cfg file (or syslinux.conf, I forget which it uses - probably .cfg) and add the option (without the "puppy " part) to the "append" line (or probably the second line if there is no "append" line... You can attach the file if unsure and I can show you).

If you boot from HD with Grub, you would edit the menu.lst file (probably located somewhere like /mnt/home/boot/grub/menu.lst) and place the option (without the "puppy " part) on the "kernel" line.

Maybe it's kernel-related, in which case you could try one of the other editions of 4.3.1 (from the special-puppies directory). Otherwise, I don't really have any ideas
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Scar

#10 Post by Scar »

Thanks, I tried booting from CD and wrote puppy acpi=force but no difference, neither with puppy acpi=off. I then tried editing /mnt/home/boot/grub/menu.lst and put just acpi=force on kernel line after the other things that was on that line but then it got really mad at me during booting. It started just throwing something like (it was hard to read cause it was too fast)
Write poweroff to shutdown or reboot to reboot computer, over and over again in a crazy speed and it wouldn't stop so I had to do a hard reboot again.

So I edited the menu.lst file again and tried to reboot with the same result as above so I did a fresh install. I then ran the Xvesa instead and tried closing the lid. In Xvesa mode it actually powered off the screen but wouldn't power it on again when I open the lid. But it did respond to key input so it was possible to press ctrl + alt + delete to get to command line again. But no improvement in Xorg.

So I guess I just have to take that little button away from my computer so I don't have to think about not closing the lid. That at least, I know how to do! :) Thanks again for all efforts and if anyone thinks of something else feel free to suggest, I'd still love to solve it.

jani

#11 Post by jani »

Hi guys,

I installed puppy 4.31 on a dell d620 laptop.
config: 1 Mb RAM; 1MB swap, 3x20gb partition
1st is XP, 2nd is puppy 4.31 full install, 3rd is a frugal browserlinux (puppy derivative) grub for booting.

Unfortunately i have a same problem. When i close the lid and open again there is no anything on the screen. Neither in command line mode and X mode. But puppy works (one time a tried in terminal mode, type "reboot" in advance without enter, closed and opened the lid, -> there is no screen and i pushed the enter key and puppy done the reboot process).
Browserlinux is same.
XP can manage this issue.

Do you have any idea how can i solve this problem?

Thank you
Jani

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you exit to the commandline and type startx just before closing the lid, then press enter after opening it?

If that resets the screen, another thing to try is to close the lid while X is running, and after opening it, press CTRL-ALT-Backspace to kill X. Then run startx to start it back up.

If that works, you might also be able to get away with pressing CTRL-ALT-F2, followed by ALT-F3. (Make sure you use the left Alt button for this process.)

ITAmember

#13 Post by ITAmember »

My laptop does this too. When it happens I tap the power button sending puppy into hibernation, then when I press the power button again it comes back to life.

jani

#14 Post by jani »

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you exit to the commandline and type startx just before closing the lid, then press enter after opening it?
another thing to try is to close the lid while X is running, and after opening it, press CTRL-ALT-Backspace to kill X. Then run startx to start it back up.
Yes i tried both of them.
The screen couldn't come up. Unfortunately startx doesn't help. One thing which is works the power on/off button, and it turns off the laptop.
And after it I couldn't restart x with startx command and i had to type the xorgvizard and set some monitor attributes by hand.

another question: can puppy manage the hibernate or sleep state of laptop?

Pizzasgood

#15 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know. I think that Linux in general probably can. If that is true than theoretically Puppy could too, though it may need drivers or different kernel options enabled.

I really have no idea. You'd have to do some research. I know the question has come up here before, but I've never read those threads so I don't know if it has been resolved.

villarica

#16 Post by villarica »

jani wrote: another question: can puppy manage the hibernate or sleep state of laptop?
On my laptop (Inspiron 510m running Puppy 4.3 from HDD), I can use acpitool to put puppy into sleep state by using

Code: Select all

acpitool -s
There is a PET for acpitool - just search for it on this forum.

r__hughes

#17 Post by r__hughes »

I think this problem is hardware specific & depends on whether the sleep/hibernate/Screen-blanking + recovery functions are controlled by the BIOS or the Operating System.

Details of the laptop would be useful.
--- quad booting Slacko57NPAE, Slacko56NPAE, Slacko55PAE (with OO4, devx, Gimp) & WXP on DELL Dimension 2400 PC & DELL Latitude 630 Laptop using grub.
---USB-Flash booting same on Samsung N110 WXP Netbook and Lenovo q100 WXP netPC.

jani

#18 Post by jani »

thank you your effort

I installed the acpitool. It works on the D620.
I used it with -s option, and i can wake up the puppy with a short push the power on/off button.

Can you explain what is the differences between the S3 and S4 sleep mode?
4.0 Full instal on PIII celeron, 700MHz, 256M, 10GBHD, 300MB swap
4.31 Full instal on D620 Core2Duo 1,5 MHz, 1GB, 30GBHD 1GB swap

alienjeff

#19 Post by alienjeff »

[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

jani

#20 Post by jani »

TITBDWIF
S3 (STR) Standby: In this state, the CPU has no power, the power supply is in a reduced power mode, main memory (RAM) is still powered, although it is almost the only component that is. Since the state of the operating system and all applications, open documents, etc. lies all in main memory, the user can resume work exactly where they left off the main memory content when the computer comes back from S3 is the same as when it was put into S3. S3 has two advantages over S4; the computer is faster to resume than to reboot, secondly if any running applications (opened documents, etc) have private information in them, this will not be written to the disk. However, disk caches may be flushed to prevent data corruption in case the system doesn't wake up e.g. due to power failure. STR means Save To RAM. In modern operating systems it's called as: Standby in versions of Windows through Windows XP and in some varieties of Linux, Sleep in Windows Vista and Mac OS X.

S4 Hibernate: In this state, all content of main memory is saved to non-volatile memory such as a hard drive, preserving the state of the operating system, all applications, open documents etc. That means that after coming back from S4, the user can resume work where it was left off in much the same way as with S3. The difference between S4 and S3, apart from the added time of moving the main memory content to disk and back, is that a power loss of a computer in S3 makes it lose all data in main memory, including all unsaved documents, while a computer in S4 is unaffected. A system that's in S4 can also be Mechanicaly Off (no power at all) and still keep its S4 save state information, so that it can resume the operating state after getting back power. This mode is also referred to as Save To Disk, Suspend to Disk, Hibernation in Windows, Safe Sleep in Mac OS X.
4.0 Full instal on PIII celeron, 700MHz, 256M, 10GBHD, 300MB swap
4.31 Full instal on D620 Core2Duo 1,5 MHz, 1GB, 30GBHD 1GB swap