Image viewer that supports animated .gif and .png/.mng?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Makoto

Image viewer that supports animated .gif and .png/.mng?

#1 Post by Makoto »

Do any of the image viewers currently available as .pets have support for animated .GIFs and .PNGs? I've already tried Fotoxx, GPicView and GQview, and... unless there's something I've missed, they only display the first frame of an animated image.

Well, okay, I'm not as worried about animated .png support, because I rarely come across those. :|

jackieflorida

#2 Post by jackieflorida »

Right-click on the animated .gif file and select OpenWith/mtpaint or mozilla.

mtpaint gives you the option of animation or frames.

mozilla is the SeaMonkey browser which displays animation on a browser page. This will open in a new tab of an existing SeaMonkey window on whatever desktop it happens to be existing on. Look for it there.

daftdog

another way...

#3 Post by daftdog »

You can right-click on the .gif file and go to Set Run Action and in the window that pops up put " defaultpaint "$1" " (without the outside quotes).
Then anytime you click on a .gif file it should open with mtpaint (or whatever the default image program is on your system).
"We are monkeys with money and guns." Tom Waits

daftdog

#4 Post by daftdog »

triple post
Last edited by daftdog on Sun 06 Sep 2009, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
"We are monkeys with money and guns." Tom Waits

daftdog

#5 Post by daftdog »

sorry, triple post. (the forum is playing up this morning)

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, I know I can view the images in Seamonkey/Firefox, but I'm not sure I want to wait for the browsers to load just to view a simple animated image. :D

mtpaint doesn't seem to want to load animated GIFs (tried two different GIFs). Normal images, it loads, but clicking the view animation button doesn't do anything. The edit frames button eventually pops up an error. Maybe a library was munged somewhere during the installs and uninstalls I've done, but I couldn't say for sure.
I can view the animations in The GIMP, but that's an additional set of steps. :) (And the same concern as above - not sure I should load an image editor just to view an animated GIF. :) )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

jackieflorida

#7 Post by jackieflorida »

Makoto
I just tried an animated gif with mtPaint and, you are right, it did not work.

Now that I think of it, I had not tried this before in 4.2.1. I recently upgraded from 4.1.2 where it did work as it did in earlier versions down to 4.0 in my experience in over a year now. So, naturally I just assumed....

I have always preferred the browser rendition anyway. You might try installing a tiny browser and making it the default app. for .gif files. Both of the smaller ones in the Puppy repository don't work well at all in the recent versions of Puppy but maybe you could find one elsewhere.

Possibly, too, is that there may be a newer version of mtPaint that will work. It may be worth a search and a try. I have done that with gXine that has also become problematic in the latest Puppy versions.

wjaguar

#8 Post by wjaguar »

Makoto wrote:mtpaint doesn't seem to want to load animated GIFs (tried two different GIFs). Normal images, it loads, but clicking the view animation button doesn't do anything. The edit frames button eventually pops up an error. Maybe a library was munged somewhere during the installs and uninstalls I've done, but I couldn't say for sure.
mtPaint uses a small helper program, gifsicle, to handle animated GIFs; if it isn't installed, nothing would work.

The mtPaint version currently in development does have builtin support for animated GIFs, but it is limited to sequences no longer than 99 frames, and is likely to remain that way for another year (the next release will be version 3.40, and extensive animation features are planned for version 4.00 which will follow after that).

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-

Makoto

#9 Post by Makoto »

Hmm... maybe gifsicle isn't installed in Puppy Linux 4.2.1, then.

Images with up to 99 frames? How common are those? :shock: (I mean, even on some of the images I've seen that were converted from an AVI, they don't have 99 frames or more... (though most of them are from forum posts/avatars, so I guess they were being nice and not posting large-sized images).)

Great program, by the way. :)

jackieflorida: Puppy 4.2.1 does have the gtkmoz browser installed, and I already have it set up as a quick viewer for local .html/.htm files, so I added it as a quick viewer for .gif. Seems to work so far, though I'd still hope for a regular viewer. :D
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Fossil

#10 Post by Fossil »

Makoto,

Have you considered XnView?
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/big_bass/XnView-1.70.pet

wjaguar

#11 Post by wjaguar »

Makoto wrote:Images with up to 99 frames? How common are those?
Not very, but they do happen - even GIFs with several thousand frames do exist in the wild. For example, the ones here.
Seems to work so far, though I'd still hope for a regular viewer.
The viewer part of gifsicle, gifview, is rather small (55 Kb), and does play animation if run with "--animate" option. http://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle/

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

Makoto,

if you do need gifsicle, just extract attachment to /.
Attachments
gifsicle.zip
(46.48 KiB) Downloaded 422 times

Makoto

#13 Post by Makoto »

Fossil: There's a Linux version of XNView? Huh. Didn't know that.

wjaguar: Several thousand frames? :shock: I think I probably always assumed animated GIFs had a hard limit on frames at some point, even though there was never any proof of that. :D
Okay, I'll try both XNView and gifsicle's viewer and see what happens. Thanks (and to muggins, for the attachment).

Edit: Okay, here's the results. muggins, I'm not sure if I placed the file in the correct location (I placed it in /usr/bin/, I believe), but mtpaint still had the same problem after I copied the file there and tried it. After that, I followed the links at http://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle/ , grabbed a .deb of the gifsicle package (i386 version), converted that to a .pet, installed, and now, it works. :)

As for the XNView .pet - it installed, but complained about a missing dependency (libXp.so.6). Was it supposed to create a menu entry?

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

I don't know about the missing menu for xnview, but here is libXp.so.6-i486.pet.

If you wanted to add a menu entry for xnview, you just need to create a ..desktop file for it, in /usr/share/applications, then run fixmenus command. Have a look at any of the graphics .desktop files, using a text editor, to get an idea of what you'll need for xnview. Something like:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xnview
Icon=xnview.xpm
Comment=Xnview
Exec=xnview
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Graphics
GenericName=Xnview
If there isn't an xnview.xpm, then you would need to change the Icon line to point to another suitable icon.

Makoto

#15 Post by Makoto »

Thanks. Now, XNView is working. I ended up being lazy and creating a link to it on the desktop rather than a menu entry, though. :)

(The next version of XNView to come for Linux, XNView MP, will require Qt? Yay.)

vovchik

#16 Post by vovchik »

Dear Makoto,

I posted this before and have another version that uses nconvert to provide more pic info. In the mean time you can use this tiny script to view animated gifs. You can set the run action in rox to use this when you click on a gif. Simply unpack and copy this script to either /root/my-applications/bin or /usr/local/bin.

With kind regards,
vovchik
Attachments
pshowpic.tar.gz
(458 Bytes) Downloaded 232 times

Makoto

#17 Post by Makoto »

I'll take a look at it, as well. Thanks. :)

Makoto

#18 Post by Makoto »

Okay, pshowpic works on my setup and comes up faster in an Open With operation than gtkmoz. :) Thanks.