Puppy421 using printer on Windows XP [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
Kenny-M

Puppy421 using printer on Windows XP [SOLVED]

#16 Post by Kenny-M »

This issue is resolved thanks to Patriot.

Brains? I used to have some then as I get older I have a harder time finding them...

8-bit

#17 Post by 8-bit »

Patriot wrote:Hmmm .....

:)

Bi-directional printing simply (as simple as possible) means that data is sent-and-received simultaneously. Uni-directional printing simply means that (printing) data is sent to printer and when the line is clear, the printer reports back to the host of the result ..... Just a tad slower in that sense ...
Being an old dotmatrix user, it always was my understanding in the dos days that bi-directional printing meant that data when sent to the printer would be processed to the extent that the printer would print with the printhead in both directions. Forward and return.
When Windows came out, all output to the printer was handled with the printhead only printing in one direction.

So in effect, one looses half the print speed.

Kenny-M

#18 Post by Kenny-M »

8-Bit,

The printers ability to print in both directions is different. I had an old OKIdata 132 column dox matrix printer that could print forwards and backwards. In older printers before ECP & EPP data could be only be sent from the PC to the printer. This meant no information about the status of the print job could be transmitted to the user. Bidirectional printing allowed the printer to convey messages to the PC, which made it easier for the user to track print progress, and be informed about the status of various parameters of the printer-ink level, for example.

Of course with the advent of USB things have changed. Simpler?

See Patriots comments.

[SOLVED] [CLOSED]

nobody

Thanks

#19 Post by nobody »

Patriot wrote:.....
For Unix print services:
1. Get your XP CD (or your setup files) ready.
2. Control Panel -> Add New Programs -> Add Remove Windows Components -> Other Network File and Printer Services (click Details)
3. Install Print Services for Unix
...Rgds
I signed up just to thank you for solving my very frustrating, but, in retrospect, very basic, difficulty printing from a Ubuntu laptop to a Win server on an HP psc 1310 printer. Installing print services for Unix cleared it all up. Thanks!

nobody

#20 Post by nobody »

Disabling bidirectional support was also necessary (didn't want to leave that out). Thanks, again, Patriot.