How to install Firefox in Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
nec

How to install Firefox in Puppy?

#1 Post by nec »

pLease

1)give me link to download puppy with firefox only I HATE SEAMONKEY browser.

2) I am unable to download to my hard disk. too many linux terms i cant understand. Is there a user friendly puppy? i have puppy4 live CD with sea monkey.

3)my hard disk 20GB(actual usage 18.6) is partitioned as 3GB ext3 (free), 500MB linux swap, 350MB ext2 (free) and rest is FAT32 (microsoft windows). Is this right partition? i want to install pup on ext2

4)only problem is my computer is slow with 128RAM

i shall appriciate easy explanations step by step

thank you in advance

God bless you all

tomasrey88

Try Browser Puppy

#2 Post by tomasrey88 »

Hey,

I also find it impossible to install applications on Puppy. However, it is really easy to install a version of Puppy that has what you want. You may even install several versions of Puppy in separate partitions on your hard drive, if you'd like. If you want firefox and your computer to work faster, use Browserpuppy. It is only 67 MB (vs standard Puppy's 100 MB). The smaller size means that less RAM is used for the OS and more RAM is available to make your computer work faster. I've installed browserpuppy on a 96 MB RAM 266 mHz 4 GB HD computer with no problems. It should run fine on a 128 MB computer.

Browserpuppy:
http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/pup ... irefox-352

BTW, I invite you to make a $ donation to the Puppy project.
http://www.puppylinux.org/home

God Bless,
:P

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Hmmm. That strips out Abiword and Gnumeric and everything.
Does anybody know of a recent puppy version with Firefox, without a whole lot of other extra rubbish, but without everything else removed?
I am unable to download to my hard disk. too many linux terms i cant understand.
Your hard drives are mounted as /mnt/sda1, /mnt/sda2, /mnt/sdb1, etc. Does that help?
Is there a user friendly puppy?
Probably not, if you find it too hard to download something... but generally I think Puppy is the most user-friendly operating system I've tried.
Is this right partition? i want to install pup on ext2
Yes, that will work, although you should give Puppy a bigger partition if you are likely to install a lot of extra programs and stuff.
Since you have so little ram you will be best to do a full install, not a "frugal" install.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gposil

#4 Post by gposil »

ttuuxx's 2.14X has Firefox as standard, so does dpup476i.

[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Well I did the impossible task of downloading the latest firefox 3.5.2 from mozilla...clicking on it and extracting somewhere convenient.

Ok got hairy then as it did not run....running firefox from the terminal showed it needed lib-dbus-glib...i googled debian and downloaded the deb from there and extracted it to /. It probably needed libdbus but I had that from vlc but the same applies.
Ran firefox and voila...almost simple.

Now if you downloaded firefox 3(or 2) the complication does not apply (no dependancies needed) so installing was a case of download, extract, run...drag and drop 'firefox' to the desktop.

Indeed the search for dependancies is semi automatic...the terminal says...'this is missing'...google finds it...downloads and xarchive extracts it..done. To me less confusing than the package manager which only has a tiny fraction of what is available anyway and won't find such dependancies outside of its database.

A lot of free windows software comes as a zip...extract it and run...sometimes a dll is needed and google finds it , download and put in system32...sound familiar?

A little familiarity/instruction saves the confusion of relying on automation that don't automate that well leaving the user in a 'what do I do now because it did not work' state....to me one of the differences of using linux is that there is the potential to have at least a basic idea of what is happening under the hood...Its easier to fix yer own fanbelt in the middle of the desert rather than waiting 3 days for the dodgy garage to come out :D .

A 'How do I install manually' thread perhaps...I noticed someone requesting a beginners 'how do I compile' thread.

mike

nec

#6 Post by nec »

Thank you readers for the valuable info. i am old man so it will take time to get familiar with linux :?

i am trying all the good advices you all gave me and i shall keep you guys posted after two days.

by the way i did download firefox and got some little problems because i put it on wrong place , still trying to figure out what i did with it hahaaa ..... old man

thank you again

God bless you all

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

I have more luck finding things on a computor than in our house :)

mike

sullysat

#8 Post by sullysat »

gposil wrote:ttuuxx's 2.14X has Firefox as standard, so does dpup476i.

I would certainly recommend ttuuxxx's 2.14 rebuild. It has Firefox, Abiword, and Gnumeric and its BEAUTIFUL.

Sully

maggotspawn

#9 Post by maggotspawn »

I like the Firepup pet. Fast and does everything you need it to do.
[url]http://www.agitprop666.com/PuppyLinux.html[/url]
[url]http://www.agitprop666.com/PuppyLinux2.html[/url]

somepup

#10 Post by somepup »

ttuuxx's 2.14 - username/pwd required when following the links. Am I looking in the right place?

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

ttuuxx's 2.14 - username/pwd required when following the links. Am I looking in the right place?
user : puppy
password : linux

mike

nec

#12 Post by nec »

Thank you readers for the valuable input. God bless you all.

i messed up everything, so i had to reformat my HD, now i got 1GB as ext3 Partition 3, linux swap is partition 2 350MB and rest is partition1 NTFS for windows.

i did full download of Puppy on ext3 and now it is faster. i had to load and reload GRUB few times. deleted seamonkey and installed firefox.

Finally my puppy is running. I thank you all.

Now i have a small question how i can toggle between windows and linux without rebooting.

God bless you all

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Now i have a small question how i can toggle between windows and linux without rebooting.
Only way I'm afraid unless you use emulation(a virtual computor program) which is slower . Alternatively perhaps wine might help..it's for running (most but not all) windows programs in linux.

Glad you got things working and all will become more familiar in time..after all windows used to make no sense to me :D

mike

nec

#14 Post by nec »

Thank you mikeb , i will download that... life would be much easier without microsoft :lol:

thank you again

god bless you

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

you can search here to see if programs you need will work ok on wine

best wishes

mike

nec

#16 Post by nec »

Thankyou Mike for the link , i did check ... sadly my program's are not supported by wine :( i even checked web site of my program s they also say it is only for MS windows :(

I thankyou for your help .

God bless you

Grandma

WHERE'S FIREFOX4-NEED TO UPGRADE OUT OF THIS 3.6 NIGHTMARE

#17 Post by Grandma »

Ya know a couple of fat DOWNLOAD STUFF HERE buttons wouldn't hurt the site folks - everything else here is so sweet, it'd be nice if an idiot like me could find a browser here.

I know I am blind to that which is RIGHT in front of my face so don't take it personal - but I am looking for a 3 inch wide by 1 inch tall flashing green button with giant letters - DOWNLOAD - and when I click it I can search and get a list of every Firefox version that Puppy likes to eat, er, be with, um, chase...well one of those.

Bernie_by_the_Sea

Re: WHERE'S FIREFOX4-NEED TO UPGRADE OUT OF THIS 3.6 NIGHTMARE

#18 Post by Bernie_by_the_Sea »

Grandma wrote:Ya know a couple of fat DOWNLOAD STUFF HERE buttons wouldn't hurt the site folks - everything else here is so sweet, it'd be nice if an idiot like me could find a browser here.

I know I am blind to that which is RIGHT in front of my face so don't take it personal - but I am looking for a 3 inch wide by 1 inch tall flashing green button with giant letters - DOWNLOAD - and when I click it I can search and get a list of every Firefox version that Puppy likes to eat, er, be with, um, chase...well one of those.
Once again you woke up a thread from 2009. Some things have changed since 2009. For example Firefox 4 didn't exist in 2009.

There is no place in Puppy or this forum to get a list of every Firefox version that "Puppy" likes.

With a tad more experience than two days you might look outside this unofficial Puppy forum, for example in the Ubuntu repositories or the Debian repositories or directly on Firefox's own website. Using Puppy (in any of its 55+ unofficial versions) you are not confined to using applications posted on this website.

For Firefox 4 portable, see this thread from 2011:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=508828

Going back in ancient history to November of last year, there's a link for Firefox 4 Beta 7 here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=467154

But best of all on the Firefox website there's a BIG GREEN BUTTON that says Firefox 4 Free Download:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

This will give you the tarball for Firefox 4.0.1.

Bruce B

Re: WHERE'S FIREFOX4-NEED TO UPGRADE OUT OF THIS 3.6 NIGHTMARE

#19 Post by Bruce B »

Bernie_by_the_Sea wrote: Once again you woke up a thread from 2009. Some things have changed since 2009.
Two years richer and two years wiser.

I'd like to develop more virtues. Humility is a tough one, whenever I make
progress with it, I'm proud of myself for the achievement.

On topic: I've almost always downloaded SeaMonkey, Firefox, Classic
Netscape and Opera from the official sites.

~

Eathray

#20 Post by Eathray »

WHERE'S FIREFOX4-NEED TO UPGRADE OUT OF THIS 3.6 NIGHTMARE
Firefox 4 is now stable enough for auto upgrade. In the last two days all three of my main machines have requested permission to upgrade to version 4. If you run with 3.6 a little while, it will shortly ask you if you want to upgrade, assuming you have auto update enabled. The process is quick, easy and stable. I have noticed a significant performance improvement in 4 by the way (my Puppy is Wary 5.0).

Good luck,

Eathray