How do I make a live CD from a Puppy iso file?

Booting, installing, newbie
deere800

How do I make a live CD from a Puppy iso file?

#1 Post by deere800 »

I downloaded the latest distribution of puppy linux and I am unable thus far to open it as an iso image, which is what my burner program is asking for. I extracted the contents of the iso file to a usb flash drive. Can i boot from it to install it to my hard drive? Running Vista but have ubuntu installed too. Trying to make a live cd with power iso but an xfs file cannot recognize. there is no isoimagetourn, although the file is named puppy 4.2 retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso.. WHAT DO I DO?

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

Others have used Power iso to burn a live cd. I haven't.
Generally; use the burn program to find the puppy iso file.
Add file to list. Highlight file? Burn iso.

A few tips:

http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/BurningLinuxIsoBasics

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

raffy

burn

#3 Post by raffy »

From your burnig program, choose Burn an image (ISO) then browse to the ISO file to be burned. Use low speed ~4X

When you open an ISO, then you can extract its contents, much like extracting from zip file. Yes, you can install files frugally to hard disk or USB flash this way, although it requires some familiarity with manual installation. The guided installation is from a running live CD.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

puppyite

#4 Post by puppyite »

First verify that the ISO file is intact by performing an MD5 check. If you downloaded the ISO from the link to ibiblio.org at www.puppylinux.org then download the MD5 checksum file from the same site. You must have it in order to perform the MD5 check. Note: If you click my link to the MD5 check you should use only the text string. The ISO name is not part of the MD5 check.

Download MD5sum.exe and follow the instructions at etree.org to check your ISO file. If the MD5 checksum is good you may burn the ISO image file to CD or DVD which will result in a bootable disc.

To burn a live bootable disc I recommend ImgBURN, it's freeware and has an Ez-Mode Picker in which you should select: Write image file to disc. If you need help read the guides at the ImgBURN web site.

After you set the optical drive as the first boot drive in the BIOS put the live disc you burned in the drive and reboot. Now start enjoying Puppy!

Edit: Fixed link for puppy-4.2.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso MD5 check file. Added link to Puppy files at ibiblio.org.

If all else fails you can buy a Puppy CD here: http://on-disk.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=puppy&x=0&y=0