(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 26 Sep 2020, 18:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
mac iPod nano gtkpod and gxine song playback with puppy 4.13
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
maddox

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug 2009, 22:54    Post subject:  mac iPod nano gtkpod and gxine song playback with puppy 4.13
Subject description: iPod hfsplus with gtkpod and gxine puppy playback prob

puppy version 4.13 / 2.6.25.26 / gtkpod-0.99.12.pet and the necessary add-on pet's also from this forum.
puppy live-cd boot params : puppy pfix=ram

Im trying to connect an iPod nano 3rd generation via the USB connector and use gtkpod with gxine to play the songs.
the songs are either mp3's or m4a : non drm'd to be precise, as there seems to be no way to play drm'd songs/videos using linux.
- a qt fairplay option doesn't seem to exist for linux Sad

Here's the 1st problem, the 8Gb iPod nano is mac formatted i.e : contains 2 hfsplus partitions.
(partition nber 1 contains the iPod's OS and partition 2 contains what I'm after : music,ItunesDB and artwork).
Just plugging in the iPod doesn't display an icon on the desktop to mount it.
"probedisk" display's /dev/sdb|Direct-Access|Apple iPod (an indication that an iPod is connected).
and "probepart" display the 2 iPod mac partitions info (not recognised fs type -> none)
/dev/sdb1|none|496 (mac iPod OS partition, leave alone, RO)
/dev/sdb2|none|15531016 (mac partition to mount RW for gtkpod : music, iTunesDB and artwork).

Ok I tried, "modprobe hfsplus" then plugged in the iPod, still no luck, no icon displayed on the desktop and no access to the iPod with gtkpod.
Fix nber 1: gtkpod mounts the iPod on /mnt/ipod by default, so I created the directory /mnt/ipod
2nd attempt : plugged in the iPod, still no luck, no icon on the desktop to mount it and no access with gtkpod installed.
Fix nber 2: manually mount the 2nd iPod's partition on /mnt/ipod with the command "mount -t hfsplus /dev/sdb2 /mnt/ipod"
(the sdb2 name might vary, depending on the nber of usb devices connected, this can be found using a search for apple iPod string).

- mount shows : /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/ipod type hfsplus (ro,umask=22,uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8)

- cat /proc/scsi display's :
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: Apple Model: iPod Rev: 1.62
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00

- cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/4 display's :
Host scsi4: usb-storage
Vendor: Apple Inc.
Product: iPod
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (iPod serial number)
Protocol: Transparent SCSI
Transport: Bulk
Quirks:

OK, gtkpod can now import the iPod's ItunesDB and display it's contents but only in ReadOnly (RO) mode.
Still no icon on the desktop and in the /root/.pup_event directory the "drive_sdb" icon is mounted, no seperate partitions are displayed.

Result:
Puppy 4.13 has hfs and hfsplus support built-in, but only in RO mode as the 2nd iPod's partition is a mac journaled hfsplus filesystem.
I read somewhere that if you have access to a mac, you can use the built-in mac "diskutil" console command to disable journaling on the iPod's hfsplus 2nd partition and it apparently will then mount RW in linux.
I don't have access to a mac to test this information.

2nd slight stumbling block : gtkpod uses "xmms" as it's default media player and Puppy-4.13 uses gxine.
I searched in the forum and the xmms package(s) available won't install in puppy 4.13 .
In the gtkpod prefs, I replaced "xmms %s" with "gxine" "gxineshell" then "defaultmediaplayer" ,it opens gxine but doesn't play the song or playlist.
I tried to add params @ or %1... ,still no luck
I can't seem to find the correct syntax to send the song/playlist to gxine from gtkpod.

I tried john biles neat Teenpup 2009, but apparently the puppy 2.14 kernel doesn't have hfs or hfsplus support compiled in by default.
modprobe hfs or modprobe hfsplus throws an error.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.
edit : corrected the mac tool 's name disktool to -> "diskutil"

Last edited by maddox on Sun 30 Aug 2009, 22:47; edited 1 time in total
tempestuous

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug 2009, 01:24    Post subject:  

First, make sure you're using the latest version of gtkpod available on the forum -
gtkpod 0.99.14
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41028
This version has the added advantage of full AAC/m4a support, and ID3tag reading ... but don't attempt re-tagging.

maddox wrote:
I searched in the forum and the xmms package(s) available won't install in puppy 4.13

XMMS requires the GTK1 libraries, which are missing in the Puppy 4-series, but you can always install them from the official repository -
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-4/gtk+-2.12.1.pet

The most recent, and comprehensively configured version of XMMS is here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26528
Again, this has full AAC/m4a support ... but I don't guarantee you can play songs directly from the iPod. My understanding was that gtkpod was for synchronising music files stored on your computer with the iPod, but hey, I could be wrong.

maddox wrote:
I tried john biles neat Teenpup 2009

Yes, the old 2-series Puppies are a good choice, especially since they already contain GTK1 ...
but I would go with a more technically advanced variant such as the 214X-series currently under development by ttuuxxx
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
One of the latest alpha releases even had the very same version of XMMS I mentioned earlier .. though I think the latest release may have BeepMediaPlayer instead?

maddox wrote:
but apparently the puppy 2.14 kernel doesn't have hfs or hfsplus support compiled in by default.

Yes, but it's easy to install the hfs/hfsplus modules. Get them here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=334788#334788
maddox

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug 2009, 09:59    Post subject:  

hello tempestuous,
thanks for the links, puppy 4.13 and your "xmms" just needed the GTK1 libraries from puppy-3 packages :
gtk+12-1.2.10 system library for gtk1 with it's 3 dependencies
1: gdk_pixbuf10-0.22.0 essential library for gtk1
2: glib12-1.2.10 essential library for gtk1
3: imlib-1.9.15-1 imlib: imlib

gtk+12-1.2.10|gtk+12|1.2.10||BuildingBlock|1260K|pet_packages-3|gtk+12-1.2.10.pet|+glib12,+imlib,+gdk_pixbuf10|system library for gtk1|

after this, xmms will launch from the console without errors running puppy 4.13
I can confirm that you can play a song or a playlist from gtkpod with the iPod connected using xmms,
in one of the gtkpod windows select a song, right-click , play now .. xmms starts and plays the song.
enqueue will add the song(s) or selection to the xmms playlist.

so gtkpod 0.99.14 / gtk+-1.2.10 + it's 3 deps needed by your xmms-1.2.11 and locale is a win win situation.

I wanted to download ttuuxxx 2.14xx but the asian site was painfully slow last night and try out your hfs-hfsplus.pet,
will give it a shot tonight.

edit : corrected the author of the "xmms" pet packages used - tempestuous

Last edited by maddox on Tue 25 Aug 2009, 21:53; edited 1 time in total
tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug 2009, 11:02    Post subject:  

maddox wrote:
I can confirm that you can play a song or a playlist from gtkpod with the iPod connected using xmms

OK, that's good to know.

maddox wrote:
and raffy's "xmms"

Actually it's my XMMS dotpet. Raffy kindly hosts it. I compiled it under Puppy 214R, so it's 100% comatible with Puppy-2 libraries.
And 214X is based on 214R, so there's a good synergy there.
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug 2009, 12:54    Post subject:  

williamjems, your English is unclear.
Puppy 4.1/4.2 with 2.6.25.16 kernel DO include the mwave driver, but they DON'T include the Mwave utilities.
Get them here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=336368#336368
maddox

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2009, 22:21    Post subject:  

concerning the gxine playback problem using puppy 4.13 with gtkpod,
my mistake, as simply replacing "xmms %s" with "gxine(shell) %s" can't work, wrong path to the external gtkpod music/video player program.
this was my gtkpod prefs exec path error : xmms is in /usr/local/bin (the default gtkpod music/video player's location) and gxine(shell) is in /usr/bin
correct way .. use the full path to your favorite player (xmms,beep,gxine..) i.e use the browse button to the correct player location in gtkpod prefs music command.

hello tempestuous, your xmms package works with 4.13 and ttuuxxx 2.14X8 and is cpu/memory usage friendly.
a few Top cycles : gxine cpu 4% , mem 3.9% / beep cpu 0% (short-peak 100%) , mem 1.2% / xmms cpu 2% , mem 0.7%
.. testing ttuxuxx 2.14X8 with your hfsplus package (thanks for that) uses beep-media-player ,
but the configured beep can't play m4a files, something missing here, but in another thread.

I will probally send the mac "journaled hfsplus iPod nano" to a mac user to test out the built-in mac console command "diskutil -disablejournal ...."
- I could just vfat format the 2nd partition (and indirectly delete the iTtunesDB/songs/artwork), but it's missing the point :
can it become RW hfspus without journaling -> work with gtkpod using puppy and still contain all the original songs/artwork ?
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sun 30 Aug 2009, 23:25    Post subject:  

maddox wrote:
beep-media-player, but the configured beep can't play m4a files, something missing here

Get the FLAC/AAC/WMA plugins I provided here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=320010#320010
I thought that ttuuxxx was going to include these as standard?

maddox wrote:
can it become RW hfspus without journaling -> work with gtkpod using puppy and still contain all the original songs/artwork ?

I don't know, and I'm scared to offer an opinion for fear of losing your data!
maddox

PostPosted: Fri 04 Sep 2009, 22:05    Post subject:  

Sorry for the long delay in feedback, a bit of forum searching and testing with my limited knowledge.
I've had inconsistant results concerning USB devices using 2.14X8 , and this might explain why the configured beep didn't apparently want to play m4a files.
- I checked your FLAC/AAC/WMA pet files against the default installed 2.14X8 files, all OK
I'll waid through the 2.14 Revisited posts to try and find an answer to this particular USB problem.
.. Depending on the USB device connected (usb sticks and 2 iPods in different order), 2.14X8 sometimes leaves dangeling events/icones and prevents mounting.
I'll post my 2.14X8 question(s) in the correct 2.14R thread.

Back to general mac hfsplus journaling problem :
Puppy is about experimenting and learning based on user feedback ... I've made a full backup of the 2nd mac iPod partition.
- mounted it hfsplus RO and copied all files/dirs using ROX (full-view) to an external "ext3" USB partition, hoping to preserve the original mac iPod dir/files permissions.
maybe a "dd if=/dev/sdb2 of=/mnt/backup-ipod.iso bs=4096" would have a better choice ?
- I read somewhere that iTunes uses "UTF-16" for multi-byte languages (jp and others)
.. the puppy kernel messages says to use a "4096 block-size" to access the hfsplus journaled partition.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: