Cannot power off in JWM (all clear)

Booting, installing, newbie
Ray Manta

Cannot power off in JWM (all clear)

#1 Post by Ray Manta »

Hi everyone,

I've got a full-install Puppy Linux 4.3.1, and I've got a problem when shutting down. When I click on "Shutdown --> Power Off Computer" in JWM, nothing seems to happen. But when I kill the X Server (ctrl+alt+backspace), the computer proceeds to power off (Puppy is shutting down... etc).

I'm not too sure what's going on, but all I can recall is that once I messed up the JWM Tray settings, which forced me to get a new copy of jwmrc.tray (or something like that) from the Live CD.

Can the Puppy Experts out there please tell me what might have gone wrong? Thanks in advance :D.
Last edited by Ray Manta on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

upnorth

#2 Post by upnorth »

Hi Ray:

You can type in terminal wmpoweroff. If that works, then your .jwmrc likely has some corruption. First try typing fixmenus, then jwm -restart to see if that fixes the problem, otherwise:

Here is the section of .jwmrc that deals with shutdown:

Code: Select all

<Menu label="Shutdown" icon="shutdown24.png" height="16">
<!-- <Exit confirm="false" label="Exit to prompt" icon="prompt16.xpm" /> -->
<Program label="Exit to prompt" icon="prompt16.xpm">exec wmexit</Program>
<Program label="Reboot computer" icon="mini-turn.xpm">exec wmreboot</Program>
<Program label="Power-off computer" icon="mini-stop.xpm">exec wmpoweroff</Program>
<Program label="Restart X server" icon="mini-x.xpm">restartwm</Program>
<Restart label="Restart JWM" icon="mini-windows.xpm"/>
<!-- <Program label="Change Window Manager" icon="mini-windows.xpm">changewm.sh</Program> -->
</Menu>
Just have a look at your .jwmrc about 60% down to see if it's missing anything. It is the last part of .jwmrc dealing with menu sections. If so, you could delete that section, then copy & paste from the snippet from above.

There are also templates in /etc/xdg/templates that contain all the building blocks of the menu.

I think something like this happened to me in the past. There might be an easier way to do it too - I just can't think of one. Maybe someone knows.

Ray Manta

#3 Post by Ray Manta »

Sorry... I managed to put my half brains together and figured out what was going on...

Some time ago I ran a command just for fun: xwin icewm-session. But I didn't have IceWM, so the interface didn't change. I forgot about it, and ran into this problem.

The fix? Kill X Server, and feed the codes into it: xwin jwm

Thank you for your help, Upnorth; besides, you were pretty FAST there :D

upnorth

#4 Post by upnorth »

Well, glad you got it going anyway 8)

I forgot about that one, where /etc/windowmanager gets invalid info.

Also, if your .jwmrc ever does get borked, it could be easier to just copy the .jwmrc from the live cd session over the one on hard drive, then boot up and run fixmenus and jwm -restart. That should give you a new one with all your installed programs.

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

I used to run into that occasionally, but under somewhat different circumstances - ie the wm* commands (from a gui window or menu entry) would not do what they were supposed to until I 'kicked' them with a Ctrl+Alt+backspace. If you still have to kick them into action (and otherwise everything looks like it should just work), you might try uncommenting the kill lines at the end of those scripts or just the one that seems reluctant to act when you're in the wm.

also - edit (or copy) /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc for the longer-lasting remedy if you need to.