Rox 2.4.1 - File Manager

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

Rox 2.4.1 - File Manager

#1 Post by GuestToo »

Rox 2.4.1 - File Manager

this replaces Puppy's rox with rox 2.4.1
there will be a roxapp icon in my-roxapps
do not move the icon from the my-roxapps dir

right click the icon for Help or to Uninstall

requires about 1.5 megs of space
(requires about 3 megs with the language files)

http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/node/92

source

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... ime_2dinfo
Last edited by GuestToo on Sat 14 Jan 2006, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

source for Rox Filer 2.4.1

i suggest that you download the source from sourceforge

you can download the source from here
if you are brainless

download the 3 parts (they are NOT zip files)
cat xa*.zip > rox241.zip

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

source for Shared Mime Info

i suggest that you download the source from freedesktop.org

you can download the source from here
if you are brainless

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

8)
Thank you on behalf of the brainless

I used the updated ROX in its previous incarnation for a few days and then went back to Puppys default wondering what I would miss.

Yes the new Rox is better but I wonder (assuming you use it which I seem to remember you do) what you find indispensible in the new version?

PS. If anyone is really brainless, I can fill their mind with fantasy, facts and delusions - or they could make their own mind up . . . Ah the wonders of choice . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i think the older (and smaller) version of Rox that Puppy has installed by default is adequate for most purposes

the newer Rox highlights files and folders that have been recently changed ... i find that useful ... for example, i can compile a program and look in the source directory, and the compiled binary will stand out because it is highlighted with bold text

i can open a properties for a file or files and easily check and uncheck the boxes to set the permissions exactly the way i want ... i find that convenient

the newer Rox displays symlinks more conveniently ... for example, i can click a symlink to move to a directory, and Rox shows me the directory as if it were the symlink (for example, clicking /etc will show me the files and folders in /etc ... as opposed to /root/.etc) ... and if i click the up-arrow button, it returns to the folder the symlink was in, as opposed to moving up from the actual directory, which might be in /root/my-applictions/, for example ... this is probably easier to try than to explain ... i find this very convenient (especially when i copy file and folder paths to the clipboard by holding the ctrl key and clicking the file(s))

probably the most noticeable difference is that the newer Rox is prettier (fonts and icons) ... it uses gtk2.4+ and can handle antialiased fonts

some Puppy users would find the language support to be useful

it has a convenient bookmarks menu (and a Recently Visted list) ... i don't use that feature much myself, but it could be very convenient

the newer Rox has easy to configure support for the desktop background (wallpaper) ... just drag the picture file to the background options window ... this can sometimes be confusing if you have other programs also setting the background

you can just click /mnt/cdrom to automatically mount a cd and show the files that are on the cd ... the cd drive will automatically unmount when you close the Rox window ... the older Rox can do that too, if you hold the shift key ... and it can automatically mount and unmount any drives that are listed in fstab

the newer Rox has better support for icons and thumbnails, i think

the newer Rox has good support for xrandr ... if you change your screen resolution, the newer Rox arranges all it's windows to work with the new resolution ... icewm also has good xrandr support (Jwm does not)

the newer Rox is supposed to have better support for xinerama too

basically, the newer Rox is prettier and has more features and has a slightly improved interface ... i think the older version of Rox that Puppy has is very useable and is probably good enough ... i think the newer version of Rox would add about 200k to the size of the Puppy iso, maybe as much as 400k

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

Also, the older rox is a little more zippy than the new one. When I click a directory in the old one, there is NO delay whatsoever. Instant. In the newer ones (I'm in 2.3, haven't installed 2.4 yet) there is a split-second delay, where I can see the window flashing and stuff as it reloads and changes size and everything. You only notice it right when you switch. After that, it's so little that you don't notice it anymore.

It also supports more icons. Many of the fancier icons I have don't show up correctly in the old rox (it does a better job than windows though), but they are perfect in the newer one.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]