Align the screen with xvidtune

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
nic007

Align the screen with xvidtune

#1 Post by nic007 »

You may have run into this problem especially when having a dual-booting system. The screen may be positioned perfectly for Windows but when running Puppy it's off-center to the side, etc. You can use xvidtune in Puppy to correct this although it does not work for all hardware and should be used with caution. Method - Open the xorg wizard from menu and select xvidtune > click OK for all the warning messages > use the controls (shift up/down/left/right) for your desired settings, clicking test to see that you have the desired settings > click apply and your screen should now be in the position you would like it to be > click show and then exit > you should now get a message if you want to write the changes (mode line) to xorg.conf > click OK > open the xorg.conf file in etc/X11 and check if the mode line with the desired co-ordinates has been written to the mode section (there's a bug in xvidtune resulting that the mode line is not always written to xorg.conf so make sure).
IMPORTANT: Even if the mode line is written to xorg.conf, xorg will not read it when x is started again (this seems to be another "bug"). So you have to do some more editing in xorg.conf to get it to work. In the monitor section you will see the preferred mode eg. "1280x1024" (yours may be different). Leave this as is. The trick is to rename all other instances of "1280x1024" (or whatever yours may be) further on in xorg.conf. There should be two or three more. You can change it to anything you like. I changed mine to "1280x1024Philips". Exit xorg.conf and save. The changes should now be permanent and the screen correctly positioned after x has re-started.

april

#2 Post by april »

Yeh its a mess at the moment Hope somebody fixes it . I will wait until they do I think cause if you don't get it right then its easy to loose the screen entirely and have to start with a new save file

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

April, if that's all you're worried about, you can boot Puppy with the pfix=ram boot option and experiment first. That way, if you get it worng, you just shut off the power, then reboot with the pfix=ram option again to get back to a pristine Puppy. After you're sure you have everything working right, then boot into your regular Puppy (without the pfix=ram option) and make the changes. This will greatly reduce the chance of anything going worng.