DIY - How to Install Java

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
aarf

#16 Post by aarf »

utensil wrote:How do you run .jar files?

The Java Virtual Machine works fine in windows, but I can't run java executable files in puppy. Do I need a pet for that?
perhaps this will help

how i installed free jin online interactive remote players chess i.e. play against other real people not a computer, into puppy4,2.1
have as above java in /mnt/home/home/user/My Documents/puppy/jre1.6.0_15/ i.e. not in the pup_save
download jin chess from http://www.jinchess.com/unix_download, click it and extracted to /mnt/home/home/user/jin-2.14.1/
then dragged and link absolute the file named jin from /mnt/home/home/user/jin-2.14.1/ into directory /root/bin/
then dragged and link absolute the file named java from /mnt/home/home/user/My Documents/puppy/jre1.6.0_15/ into directory /root/bin/
then click on the jin link in directory /root/bin/ and jin chess will start.
then optionally you can drag and drop the jin link from /root/bin/ to the desktop:
tell us if it works for you.
local installed jin install saves waiting for the applet to download every time which is what occurs if you use your java enabled browser to play/connect .

mary john

#17 Post by mary john »

Hey all,
If u want to install Java then u must follow this path
1. Create new directory /usr/java
2. www.sun.com, Java, Downloads...Download Free Java Download Linux Self Extracting File
3. Save it to disk, save jre-6u15-linux-i586.bin to /usr/java
4. In Rox window of /usr/java right-click jre-6u15-linux-i586.bin's icon, Properties, check to give owner execute permission, close dialogbox
4. In Rox window of /usr/java right-click in whitespace
5. Window --> Terminal here. In terminal window run
6. Code:
./jre-6u15-linux-i586.bin

7. Press PgDn then R to go straight to bottom of EULA
8 yes {Enter}
9. In same terminal window (ignore error messages) (you can highlight each of these lines then middlemousebutton to paste after # prompt in rxvt window): Code:
cd /usr/lib/seamonkey/plugins
rm libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_15/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
rm libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_15/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
mkdir /root/.mozilla/plugins
mkdir /root/.mozilla/plugins/java
cd /root/.mozilla/plugins/java
rm libjavaplugin_oji.so

10. In Seamonkey, Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced (click on the +)-->Scripts and Plugins
Check Enable JavaScript for Navigator and for Mail & Newsgroups,
click Advanced (the word Advanced) and check Enable Java.
Close Seamonkey.
Reboot the computer.

11. Start Seamonkey.
Surf to www.sun.com, Java under Downloads, "Download", "Do I Have Java?", and you should in about 60 seconds see the
"Congratulations!
You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 15)."
notification.

12. Done.

hey, i hope u don't get any problem after do this coding

xman

#18 Post by xman »

I have old pc and 4.30-k2.6.25.16 on it. I try new kernel, but puppy was seized with panic at startup. :shock:

At first I have to thank playdayz for Firefox-DIY. I installed your pets, downloaded and zipped old 3.5.2 from mozilla archive, and then updated it online to 3.5.3.

I have used old java-jre-6u14.sfs, but during the last few days I have done some minor experiments using java-jre-6u16. Browsers and atunes are now more stable than ever in my few puppy days. I find this java DIY-install more difficult than to use pet or sfs found from http://koinunoesa.blog46.fc2.com/blog-entry-81.html. Thank You very much, nikukyu. :D

Finally, I tested new java-jre-6u16.pet installation using it briefly with opera 10, firefox 3.5.3, seamonkey 1.1.18, atunes and oxygenoffice. I set atunes to play Frank Zappa's “Penguin in Bondage

swiatmar

#19 Post by swiatmar »

Hallo!!
Does anybody knows how to do this in xfce? I don't have rox. How do I change the permission? Until now i get always the massage :permission denied
regards
mar

imnotrich

Update java install instructions for 4.3.1 please

#20 Post by imnotrich »

Followed the step by step instructions to the letter, still no joy.

Also found a script entitled "install java" elsewhere in these forums. Same result.

Java won't run. Java web pages tell me only that "something is wrong" or that my browser does not have Java enabled but I do indeed have Java enabled in Sea Monkey.

I've also tried Firefox 2 (newest firefox is 3.5) which is the only fox in the Puppy repos.

Anybody get this to work yet?

playdayz

#21 Post by playdayz »

@ imnotrich, where those mary john's instructions (several messages above here) to the letter or mine? I could try to help if you could list what you did and what the results were for each step--that is, just for instance, did you get a java folder named jre-1.6.0_16 after you ran the java install? Were you able to run the java install, etc. There is an alternative to use one of the java.sfs files prepared by community members. I have used them in the past and they worked well. However, the only one a quick search turns up is java 1.6 update 14 by Wolf Pup; maybe someone will post an update. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 59&t=27341

imnotrich

diy's java install

#22 Post by imnotrich »

I don't recall who the original posters were, and because of how this forum is organized I doubt I'd be able to find them again easily.

One was a step by step procedure to download from Sun, folders to put it in, symlink creation and all.

Another was a script to run called install java.

After each procedure I went to various java test pages and they tell me it's not enabled in my browser, but seamonkey claims it is enabled.

I'm not adept enough to write these programs and scripts myself, I suppose given enough time I could learn but for those of us who need our computers to just work, tinkering should be kept to a minimum. Now that java is openly available I don't see why it's so difficult in so many distros, not just puppy but I'm getting a bit off topic.

mathew

#23 Post by mathew »

Hello All
I am Mathew and i want to install Java so which tools to first download and how to install it please tell me and when i download the Java kit so its in the full version?
Thnaks

playdayz

#24 Post by playdayz »

imnotrich and mathew, these DIY articles are for people who *like* to tinker ;-) and thereby understand what is going on underneath the surface. i think the instructions are something that anyone can follow though--no doubt there could be a learning curve. i suggest the instructions in the first article (which is mine) but someone else has added a different set--they both have the same purpose. I would suggest reading the whole first page of this forum in order to try to maximize learning if you continue to DIY. There is a lot to be said for things just working, I agree, and the best guess I have for that is wolf pup's java (link above). As I recall there are also some puplets that have java installed--those could be found by browsing or searching the forum category "Puppy Derivatives."

xman

#25 Post by xman »

Sun has published a new version of java. This 6u17 release contains fixes for one or more security vulnerabilities (http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u17.html).

:( So, I replaced excellent 6u16.pet by DIY-install of 6u17. Now seamonkey 1.1.18, firefox 3.5.5, Gooo 3.1.1 and Opera 10.01 are recognizing java-jre-6u17, but aTunes has gone. I did some dirty work with DIY-opera until it accepts DIY-java. Now it is time to wash my hands and wait for an excellent 6u17 pet. :D Aqualung included 4.31 is so nice music player that I can live for a while without aTunes.

didik

#26 Post by didik »

I have jre-6u17-linux-i586.petrun on firefox-3.5.5.

It works on my Puppy 4.3.1

imnotrich

java diy

#27 Post by imnotrich »

Regards learning curve for those DIY guides, I'm fluent in English so that's not the issue. Following those well articulated steps verbatim did not solve my problem. There were no java pets or dot pups listed either.

Java, flash, misc. plug ins and a decent set of web fonts plus other basic functionality needs to be included in a distro or at least easily available.

Puppy has long neglected wifi encryption too. Works great with WEP, but my network is wpa2 and Puppy still does not support wpa2 tkip/aes out of the box.

If said distro is not intended for use on the web or a network then that's another story, in which case you might as well delete e-mail, browsers, modem and nic/wireless drivers.

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant. I know Puppy represents an enormous amount of effort from many very talented people, but I wish the developers would focus on basic functionality and leave the obscure stuff for those who like to tinker.

xman

#28 Post by xman »

Nikukyu has uploaded jre-6u17 pet and sfs (http://koinunoesa.blog46.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html). They are certainly very cool but they come too late for me because I have used two weeks half-diyded jre-6u17. This is very OK with aTunes 1.13.5 :D, seamonkey old, firefox 3.5.5 and opera 10.01.

My steps (Puppy 4.31-k2.6.25.16):
1. Install 6u14.pet (http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/bugs/java-1.6u14.pet).
2. Delete java folder from /usr.
3. Download jre-6u17-linux-i586.bin file (http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/ ... leId=35675).
4. Unpack jre-6u17-linux-i586.bin file to /usr (run ./jre-6u17-linux-i586.bin).
5. Rename new jre1.6.0_17 folder to java.
6. Configure browser if needed (java support for firefox, flock, iceape, icecat, iceweasel, mozilla, opera, and seamonkey).

mcewanw

export java paths

#29 Post by mcewanw »

I found this useful. Allows the system to find the java bits and pieces whilst allowing you to install java outside your pupsave in:

From thread post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 748#123133
GuestToo wrote: in /etc/profile.local, i have:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/jre
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

/usr/jre is a symlink to where i have Java installed ... /mnt/hda15/jre1.6.0_01/
EDIT: Since, as playdayz says, Openoffice finds java automatically if the folder is in /usr/java, it would probably better to change the above two lines in /etc/profile.local to:

Code: Select all

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
and make /usr/java (instead of /usr/jre) a symlink to where you have java installed.

Note that Puppy 4.3.1, for example, doesn't include the file /etc/profile.local by default. You therefore need to create a blank text file /etc/profile.local and include the above lines (and make the above suggested symlink to where you have your java installation).
Puppy will automatically read the file /etc/profile.local on reboot.

In addition, if you then create a shell script called application_x-jar in ~/Choices/MIME-types you should be able to simply click on .jar files to execute them from ROX. The file application_x-jar should contain the likes of:

#! /bin/sh
exec java -jar "$1"
[Note: I don't have java on my system at the moment, so I can't actually test the above code at the moment; I'm "guessing" the option -jar from memory.]

This uses the MIME-type mechanism to control the execution. See the following Howto on mime file type handling for an explanation of its operation:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 990#363990

EDIT: An alternative to manually creating an application_x-jar script in ~/Choices/MIME-types is to right click on a jar file and set Run Action to:

java -jar "$1"
[or: java -jar "$@" should be fine I think]

That action will automatically create a application_x-jar shell script in the folder ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-types
github mcewanw

didik

#30 Post by didik »

xman wrote:Nikukyu has uploaded jre-6u17 pet and sfs (http://koinunoesa.blog46.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html). They are certainly very cool but they come too late for me because I have used two weeks half-diyded jre-6u17. This is very OK with aTunes 1.13.5 :D, seamonkey old, firefox 3.5.5 and opera 10.01.

My steps (Puppy 4.31-k2.6.25.16):
1. Install 6u14.pet (http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/bugs/java-1.6u14.pet).
2. Delete java folder from /usr.
3. Download jre-6u17-linux-i586.bin file (http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/ ... leId=35675).
4. Unpack jre-6u17-linux-i586.bin file to /usr (run ./jre-6u17-linux-i586.bin).
5. Rename new jre1.6.0_17 folder to java.
6. Configure browser if needed (java support for firefox, flock, iceape, icecat, iceweasel, mozilla, opera, and seamonkey).
Why do you need 6u14.pet?

Just simple single click jre-6u17*.pet from rox to install and let pinstall.sh do symlinking, etc.

xman

#31 Post by xman »

didik wrote:Why do you need 6u14.pet? Just simple single click jre-6u17*.pet from rox to install and let pinstall.sh do symlinking, etc.
Considering time, I installed my half-diyded 6u17 security update two weeks ago. Updating takes about ten minutes. Rhetorical question: When you uploaded your 6u17 pet? :wink: (http://edwidianto.wordpress.com/2009/11 ... ppy-linux/)

Can you tell me some reason why change my well working 6u17 to strange one?

didik

#32 Post by didik »

xman wrote:
didik wrote:Why do you need 6u14.pet? Just simple single click jre-6u17*.pet from rox to install and let pinstall.sh do symlinking, etc.
Considering time, I installed my half-diyded 6u17 security update two weeks ago. Updating takes about ten minutes. Rhetorical question: When you uploaded your 6u17 pet? :wink: (http://edwidianto.wordpress.com/2009/11 ... ppy-linux/)

Can you tell me some reason why change my well working 6u17 to strange one?
No reason :D

It's absolutely your freedom.

-eko didik widianto

rameshiyer

How to Install Java

#33 Post by rameshiyer »

I tried different method listed in the forum. However, fail to install Java either in Opera or Seamonkey. In sometimes, while testing through javatester.org, it says that java installed. However, while browsing the site, Java required to installed and site is not visible where Java Runtime required. ( I have full hdd with latest version java)

QBall2U

Re: DIY - How to Install Java

#34 Post by QBall2U »

[quote="playdayz"]Java always seemed mysterious and frustrating to me, but no longer, probably because I have made so many mistakes at it. I just installed it without any script, pet, or sfs and if I can do it, then anyone can do it.

1. Download java from java.com. I prefer to download it to /mnt/home to conserve my ram. If you want the latest revision you can just click the big download button, and then select the “Linux (self-extracting file)

xman

#35 Post by xman »

Java jre-6u19-linux-i586.bin is available: http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/ ... leId=38654.