Puppy 4.2.1 Dell Latitude Cpi D266XT Crystal 4237B Soundcard

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
tempestuous

#31 Post by tempestuous »

Well it's good that you have success of some sorts.
It would be interesting to know if your successful settings work OK with Puppy 4.2.1.
brianh wrote:dma1=0 dma2=3
Mmm. That's somewhat unconventional.
brianh wrote:alsaconf -R still shows DMA2 allocated at the end but disabled for 00:0f
More evidence to suggest that all is not well with your laptop's hardware resource allocation under Linux.
brianh wrote:needed to turn the Master and PCM alsaconf controls right up to the top of the red
With all your various attempts at setup, I suspect this could be due to a messed-up ALSA configuration file: /etc/asound.state
possibly caused by the different configuration attempts.

If you have a frugal installation, boot afresh with the "pfix=ram" boot parameter, then erase your pupsave file, then reboot creating a new pupsave file.

brianh

Network Parameters not saved

#32 Post by brianh »

To work around this I creted a text file containing:
sleep1
dhcpcd eth0

(NB no newline at end)
Then
Document >Set Filetype>Scripting Languages >Shell script file

Saved the file as /root/startup/startnetwork
In file manager right click on the file then:
Permissions>Command: Make executable / Searchable>yes

brianh

Further Research

#33 Post by brianh »

Thanks for the suggestions tempestuous. I'll let you know if I take this any further - for now I think I'll get on with other things while I enjoy Spotify through the Dell which is now acting as a dedicated server connected to the hifi as I'd hoped.
Thanks again for all the help.
Brian

brianh

ALSA Sound Levels

#34 Post by brianh »

Re:
'With all your various attempts at setup, I suspect this could be due to a messed-up ALSA configuration file: /etc/asound.state
possibly caused by the different configuration attempts. '

I don't think it can be this as I reformatted the partition before I installed puppy-4.1.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso so it was a clean install and didn't need to do any experimentation after that to get it working - just added the single line to rc.local:

modprobe snd-cs4236 index=0 id=CARD_0 port=0x530 cport=0x210 irq=5 dma1=0 dma2=3 mpu_port=0x330 isapnp=0 fm_port=0x388 mpu_irq=9

Brian

aclowery

Solved- dell cpi d266xt sound now seems to work.

#35 Post by aclowery »

I have sound- and with the latest puppy version, 4.21.- and with bios a-11! Not sure exactly why - but it works. Thanks to Brianh for the help- and all on the thread!

First, adjust default settings in Bios (a11):

1. Page 2 Docking IRQ [irq12]
2. Universal connect [disabled]
3. Page 3 Primary Video [system]
4. Page 4 Serial [com1]
5. infrared [disabled]
6. Par Port [ecp]
7. Audio [Half duplex]

Second, add this line to end (with a new line enter at end) to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

modprobe snd-cs4236 index=0 id=CARD_0 port=0x530 cport=0x210 irq=5 dma1=0 dma2=3 mpu_port=0x330 isapnp=0 fm_port=0x388 mpu_irq=9

Third:
DO NOT modify modprobe.conf or run alsaconfig wizard after a clean install.

Fourth:
Open alsa mixer and raise master and PCM all the way up to 100%

One minor bug still there, not able to adjust volume by left clicking the speaker- but if you right click the speaker- it works! Also it may take a minute after bootup to play a mp3. If you don't wait long enough, it will start then close the player in about 10 seconds.

Note, Please let us all know if you have an update, particularly in bios requirements.

Art

Aitch

#36 Post by Aitch »

Solution using Puppy 4.3 here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46290

Aitch :)

greengeek

#37 Post by greengeek »

just getting this onto my watchlist...