Puppy.ca bans abusers

News, happenings
Caneri

#31 Post by Caneri »

There is possibly another reason for the slow speeds.

There was a major DOS attack on Twitter and Face Book today.

I'm not saying that's why my network is slow but I'm slow at home as well, also at http://echrs.ca which has fast cable ...which isn't saying much as I'm always a bit slow..grr..it would be nice to have real high speed....Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

ecomoney

#32 Post by ecomoney »

Perfectly reasonable Eric, part of managing a a hugely important software mirror for a popular distro within an ever popular Operating System. By the sounds of it your trying very hard to justify the actions that have to be taken as part of managing your servers resources so that most can benefit. There really is no need.

Your terms of allowing banned i.p.'s to mirror you is extremely reasonable, meaning no-one will be denied access to those files, just the convenience of your server.
tronkel wrote:So is it not time to do some research and identify which commercial entities are making use of Puppy in order to increase their sales turnover? These entities should then contribute to the costs of maintaining Eric's servers.
Yes, as once as I break even I will, which will be as soon as you build a linux which attains its mission objectives :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, I am actually hoping to turn a profit quite soon, and Erics servers, from which I have gained much of my offline software library, will be one of the ones at the very top of my list to benefit. In the meantime Im sponsoring a [url]commercial project for Puppy Cybercafes[/url (released under gpl when done). I also host 3/4 TB of puppy linux files at ecomoney.eu (such as an Openoffice 3 and "commercially" tested firefox/flash/java setup for the latest 4.2.x puppy, and ftp accounts for several prominent puppy projects). I also contribute usability and field reports, method walk through's, documentation, and beginners forum technical support.

Now I sound as if Im trying to justify myself..... 8)

Eric, if there is anything in particular you need mirroring to take some load off your server (newly released projects for example) then drop me a line with a link.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Caneri

#33 Post by Caneri »

Hi Robert,
I hope all is well for you.

Our testing has reduced the bandwidth by a large amount.
Now the problem is, did we lock out legit users...grrr..it's always something so we relaxed some restrictions today to see if it's balanced. I have asked some veteran admins for help.

As time goes on and in the very near future we will find a proper balance for users...some will not be happy and others will find .ca a better place..anyway I hope so, as there is no choice even with a host that is donating to the Puppy project himself. I can't mooch off my host to provide a service that's mostly seen as a free service...you understand.

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

legendofthor

#34 Post by legendofthor »

G'day,
Maybe all Puppy Forum members should lobby our respective ISPs to host the Puplets, at the least. Most ISPs have a File Hosting Service - I know the Internode does but has only mirrored the ibiblio files.
My internet provider is iinet and I'm currently being the squeeky wheel.

This may take the edge off Eric's bandwidth issue.

43tbs!!! This needs to be addressed asap and I hope people do their bit to Help Eric as he has been indispensible by hosting our files. We can try to return some of his generosity.

Cheers
Martin
Toowoomba Linux Users Group [url]http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux[/url]

Caneri

#36 Post by Caneri »

Hi Ya Chris,

Yes internode is a good one...fast as can be.

Kevin posted that one a year or so ago and it's still a great mirror.

Hey do you have any new streaks going on...Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

linuxcbon

#37 Post by linuxcbon »

Thanks a lot Eric.

aarf

#38 Post by aarf »

puppy.ca> think one of my ips is banned. slow downloads a little 1-200kb then disconnects then wget -c continues and it disconnects again and again and again. perhaps you could post your banned ip list. it is quite conceivable that my ip would have thousand of connections going as it serves a possible population in 100's of millions.
Last edited by aarf on Sun 09 Aug 2009, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

ecomoney

#39 Post by ecomoney »

Show banned I.P.'s? Might be risky... :roll:
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

cthisbear

#40 Post by cthisbear »

" Hey do you have any new streaks going on...Eric "

Sorry Eric....not quite up to speed on that one.

I blame it on the Sydney smog.
For surely I can't be that thick?????

How could that be?

Regards.........Chris.

prit1

#41 Post by prit1 »

We have changed the setting a bit so that the legit users are not banned.

Please do post here if any if you experience any problems downloading from Puppylinux.ca.
[url=http://macpup.org][b]Macpup - The beauty of linux[/b][/url] [b] | [/b] [url=http://pritlog.com/][b]Pritlog - Simple blog app[/b][/url]