A Pup is needed for a Remote Embedded PC

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PeterWashington

A Pup is needed for a Remote Embedded PC

#1 Post by PeterWashington »

Hi Folks,

I'm a Linux newbie, (although I've been using Unix/Linux off and on for several years), but I've just started a new job and I have a requirement to collect files from a remote Embedded PC over a Dial-Up link.

A friend recommended using Puppy because the Embedded PC is using Compact Flash rather than a hard disk, and I certainly like the look of Puppy and it's definitely a good fit for the environment.

So,I need a Puplet that will run on the remote, embedded PC, that I can dial into from a standard PC and access files on the remote Puppy via FTP.

My friend also suggested that I establish a TCP/IP link over PPP then use rsync over ssh to periodically collect changes to the files on the remote unit. I'd also like to be able to dial in as a non-root user for obvious security reasons.

This sounds like a very tried and tested set of techniques and applications so I now need help to determine the best choice of Puplet to provide this particular set of functionality !

I've already had Webserver Puppy suggested to me, but for a variety of reasons, I haven't yet been able to try it, although it does sound lik it should be a good fit for what I want. It seems that the main reason I've been unable to run this puplet is that the boot process is looking for the file 'pup_412.sfs' and the file on the CD is called 'pup_412webserverpuppyx1.sfs', so I'm about to try and create my own ISO image with a copy of this file renamed to suit what the boot process seems to be looking for.

The biggest unanswered question over the WebServer puplet is whether it can handle somebody dialling in to use FTP.

So does anyone have any suggestions for me please ?

In case anyone on this forum thinks they remember seeing this request, (or something VERY similar), on Linux Questions, they did, I put it up there because this forum was unavailable at the time.

Cheers Peter.

PeterWashington

#2 Post by PeterWashington »

The good news is that my test of the new webserver puppy ISO worked OK.

I'm quite sure there are a lot of you out there saying "well of course it worked", but I'm very new to this level of linux and I've only been playing with Puppy for about 3 weeks, so I've got a lot to learn.

As part of that learning curve I've managed to install picocom on my Webserver Puppy and I've dialled into the Puppy machine from a Windows PC using something akin to Roaring Penguin in that it's trying to establish a PPP connection using a Username and Password but obviously picocom cannot handle that interaction, (I didn't expect it to, it was merely to test hardware functionality).

So what I need now is something that WILL function as something like a Roaring Penguin Server over an analogue modem physical link, any suggestions please.

Cheers Peter.

raffy

flash install

#3 Post by raffy »

Flash installed puppy may have problems reading long file names, especially when using FAT16 format (its usual format), so rename the sfs to pup_412.sfs.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

PeterWashington

#4 Post by PeterWashington »

Hi raffy, that's exactly what I did, that was the easy bit, creating a new ISO file was MUCH harder, but I got there and it worked :lol:

A friend suggested that I use mgetty to answer the phone call and pppd to handle the PPP connection.

I've found that pppd is already part of the Web Server Puppy, but I appear to be missing mgetty, so if you know where I can find that it wouold be VERY helpful.

Cheers Peter