disabling x-windows at startup on puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
ralphbluecoat

disabling x-windows at startup on puppy?

#1 Post by ralphbluecoat »

Hello all,

Recently I did a full install of puppy linux on a netbook that I recently recieved. I enjoy using the terminal for navigation as opposed to using the window manager, as it is tough to use due to the size of my screen. I checked online, and could not for the life of me figure out how to disable x-windows in the startup options (checked /ect/rc.d/rc.services and /ect/inittab but was completly lost.)

can anyone help me out here?

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

file: /etc/profile

near the bottom of file, change from:
exec xwin
to:
# exec xwin

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

Another option is to modify the menu.lst file to have it boot with the pfix=nox option. That file is usually at /boot/grub/menu.lst on whichever partition you installed Puppy to, and is the file that defines the Grub menu you see when booting the computer.

You can open that file as a text file. There will be a line like this:
kernel /pizzapup-4/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd
Except the paths and options will be different to reflect your own installation. At the end of that line, add a space followed by pfix=nox.
So, keeping with my example, the final result would be a line like this:
kernel /pizzapup-4/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd pfix=nox
That line is often referred to as the "kernel line", by the way.

If you ever need to have more than one pfix option at a time, you separate them with commas. For example, pfix=nox,fsck.

You can make temporary changes to the file from the Grub menu itself, in case you need to add an option before actually booting Puppy. That is done by highlighting the entry for Puppy and pressing the 'e' key. Then you can highlight the line you wish to edit and press 'e' again to edit that. Enter key when done. Then the 'b' key to boot. The changes will NOT be saved back to the file. They apply only to that one boot.

The above applies only for harddrive installs using Grub.

The pfix=nox option can also be used at boot-time when booting Puppy from CD (or from USB if you use Puppy 4.2 or 4.2.1). To do that, you wait until the "splash screen" where Puppy pauses for a number of seconds (usually five or eight, depending on version). During that time you can type the word puppy followed by a space and then any extra options you require that would normally appear on a kernel line. When you start typing, the short pause will be extended so that you can take your time. So, if I were booting from CD and wanted to not start X, at the splash screen I would type the following:
puppy pfix=nox
Followed by the enter key.

That's useful to know in case you're booting from CD without any installation and don't want X to start for whatever reason.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

ralphbluecoat

thanks!

#4 Post by ralphbluecoat »

that did the trick!
thanks!