Open, Edit, & Save usr_cram.fs (SOLVED ... I think)

Using applications, configuring, problems
sunburnt

Open, Edit, & Save usr_cram.fs (SOLVED ... I think)

#1 Post by sunburnt »

The Wiki says things put into image.gz & usr_cram.fs while running Puppy are just saved to pup001.
Adding to image.gz increases the ramdisk size, so stuff should be added to usr_cram.fs.

I don't have Puppy on CD, I work with the ISO files, so the regular remaster scripts probably won't work.
Is there a simple way to modify a usr_cram.fs file directly, like gzip at the console command line?

I'd like to make addons for ROX, so the right click menu would include; gzip, zip, image, ISO, & squashfs.
Then working with & modifing Puppy would be a snap, nothing else needed, & wouldn't take much space.
Last edited by sunburnt on Sat 10 Dec 2005, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

I think if I just mount the usr_cram.fs file for read-write then I can modify it how I want to.
Now the problem is I can't find any ready to go binary executable files to copy into the usr_cram.fs file.

Ted Dog

use the script Luke, use the script

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

Sun, the script we worked on weeks ago can do this, BTW it results in the fastest puppy ever.
Increase size of inage.gz larger than 150M, like 230M in a 256M system etc.
find hidden directory /.usr_cram
using ROX drag contents of /.usr_cram/ to /usr of the image file system. Remove any usr_cram.fs, rename root0 as root, delete all directories with 0 ending, in rc.d / rename sysinit-hd to sysinit .
Result you now have an uncompressed RW image which will take the place of image.gz when scripts complete.
Neat side effect is the use of different stock kernels since both squashfs/unionfs are now not used.
Using the regular setup with puppy kernel the result is an even quicker puppy.

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

Small memory size would be good, this is for PuppyServer & I'm useing an old junk PC (200mhz Pent.).
The image.gz gets loaded into the ramdisk, but the cram file doesn't, so I want to add to the cram.
The current size of the contense of the ramdisk is ~13mb, & I think I can reduce it for some client PCs.
Only app. loading should be slower, after that it should run at normal speed, too bad X is in /usr.
I had the same idea in making the LanPuppy client, to run in as little memory as possable, 64mb or less.
My Win98 player runs with 64mb of memory, & I think Linux should be able to do the same job with 32mb.
That way movie & music player media PCs, & Web PCs can run on old junk scrounged hardware.
A 100mhz Pent. will play MP3s etc., a K7 800mhz will play Divx movies, & 200mhz+ will do the web.