How to install Puppy on an unformatted partition?

Booting, installing, newbie
cbeck

How to install Puppy on an unformatted partition?

#1 Post by cbeck »

Hi all. I've tried to search for this, but seem unable to find this issue addressed.

I am trying to install puppy on a 5GB partition on my hard drive that has not been formatted. The rest of the HD has windows XP installed on it. All of the dual boot info I can find has me resizing an existing partition as a first step, but obviously that is not what I want to do.

Could someone point me in the right direction towards installing puppy w/o messing with my current install of XP (other than modifying the boot loader)...

Thanks for any help!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I have not installed Puppy on a hard disk drive, but I think that if you just point the installer to the unformatted partition it will automatically format it to something Puppy will like; probably ext2. If not, you will have to do it manually using Menu -> System -> Gparted or the like. Format it to ext2 or ext3.

cbeck

#3 Post by cbeck »

Right, for some reason, I was only able to create new from the installation. After digging around with google, it looks like i should be able to access gparted from the live cd, so I'll give that a try when I get home tonight. thanks for the help, and I'll post back how it went.
Cheers, ~Chris

edit: Oh, duh, you were telling me in your post how to get to gparted. I can trully be a tool. :roll: Just smack a newb on my forehead. :D

cbeck

#4 Post by cbeck »

Great, thanks for the help! gparted was able to see the unformated partition and format it. After that, It was available for install of Puppy, and all went smoothly, even putting grub over the mbr. So now I have dual-booting happiness. 8) Now to figure out how to get the wireless manager to cooperate with my belkin wireless card, then all will be golden.