Where are my apostrophes?

Using applications, configuring, problems
NinjaProof

Where are my apostrophes?

#1 Post by NinjaProof »

So, I'm using an rtf editor through wine. I have installed freetype-6.3.8 with webcore fonts. There are no apostrophes, so every time I use a contraction or possessive, there's just a box.

Oakems

#2 Post by Oakems »

There are some 'dirty' fonts you can install (MS Core fonts). It tells you in This Thread an easy way of getting them. It may fix your apostrophe problem, and give you nicer fonts in the process.

Sit Heel Speak

#3 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Brevity is the soul of wit and the secret of making world-class omelets and smoked salmon. But an exacerbating degree of detail is the key to successful debugging.

The current version of freetype is 6.3.20, so you are using an outdated version. Also need to know Linux version, wine version, and it wouldn't hurt to know keyboard language (e.g. US, German, French, Spanish, et cetera) and the identity of the .rtf editor. Also, is the document on a fat32, ntfs, ext2 or ext3 partition? Might be a problem of interconversion between utf-8 and iso-8859-1 character sets.

I have posted the latest version of the Microsoft Core Webfonts as a PET package, at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 882#326193
These, and the complete DejaVu font set I posted there also, should be sufficient to your needs.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

so you are using an outdated version.
That may be my fault - I point people to that package every now and then. Is there a more recent package somewhere?
I'm still using it without any problems though.
MS Core fonts
I think they already have these (and are calling them "webcore fonts"), so the question is whether those are the fonts this rtf editor is using.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

NinjaProof

#5 Post by NinjaProof »

Oakems,
I only get internet on my laptop at friends' houses with wireless. At home I have to download files on my windows desktop and transfer them to my linux laptop. Thanks anyway.

SHS,
Thanks for your post!
I'm always forgetting to include something. Anyway, Puppy Linux 421, I just updated wine to 1.1.26 and added those font packs. However, I have no idea what to do with the tars for Freetype 2.9. My Puppy computer is on an ext3 filesystem whereas the thumb drive I use to transfer files between my laptop and desktop XP system is a fat32, and what do you know, opening files in Rough Draft (the rtf editor) from the fat32 has apostrophes. Files from the ext3 have boxes.

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

However, I have no idea what to do with the tars for Freetype 2.9
I see SHS has made a .pet of it recently, but is wanting to follow up a bug report before more people with the retro kernel install it.
what do you know, opening files in Rough Draft (the rtf editor) from the fat32 has apostrophes. Files from the ext3 have boxes.
That's interesting... I don't know anything about filesystem encodings and stuff. Can you enlighten us SHS?
Do these files have the same origin? What happens if you copy them between the two partitions?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

NinjaProof

#7 Post by NinjaProof »

disciple wrote:
However, I have no idea what to do with the tars for Freetype 2.9
I see SHS has made a .pet of it recently, but is wanting to follow up a bug report before more people with the retro kernel install it.
Silly me, SHS just sent me to that page for the fonts, but I didn't scroll up!

Sit Heel Speak

#8 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

I will post PET packages for 4.21, both the 2.6.25.16 and 2.6.21.7 kernel versions, about 18 hours from now, and then come back here and try to answer both NinjaProof's questions and disciple's question about why the underlying filesystem's encoding matters. And, meanwhile, see if I can figure out a way to make it not matter...