Puppy Online Database

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

You don't have to use '|' as a delmiter. If you create a database file on your site, which has all the information I require for the puppy standard database, PPM can download your file and parse it, convert to the standard format.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

tlchost

#17 Post by tlchost »

BarryK wrote:You don't have to use '|' as a delmiter. If you create a database file on your site, which has all the information I require for the puppy standard database, PPM can download your file and parse it, convert to the standard format.
Hmmm, I do have to use | as a delimiter...but if you can convert it, that's great.

Give me the exact fields you need(I think you were considering adding at least one for kernel and I'll create a database that can be used for testing.
Once it works and you can use the data I can put it online.

I would expect that some way to import information from petstore will
have to be developed.

Thom

tlchost

Database Modification

#18 Post by tlchost »

The Online Puppy Database has been modified to allow for the entry of a type designator for sfs and/or pet files.

Folks who have previously entered items are encouraged to modify their entries. The types are selectable from the list below:

ITEM_Type:
Desktop
Utility
Document
Network
Fun
System
File_System
Calculate
Internet
Drivers
Setup
Graphics
Personal
MultiMedia
Windows_Manager
Thom

puppyite

#19 Post by puppyite »

You asked for suggestions and I have two:
1 Please give the username and password on your site for puppylinux.asia.
2 People like myself who are on dialup would appreciate knowing the file size before attempting to download a file.

My 2 cents.

tlchost

#20 Post by tlchost »

puppyite wrote:You asked for suggestions and I have two:
1 Please give the username and password on your site for puppylinux.asia.
2 People like myself who are on dialup would appreciate knowing the file size before attempting to download a file.
Hmmmm, good points.....let me see if I can modify the database.

Thom

tlchost

Re: Puppy Online Database

#21 Post by tlchost »

tlchost wrote:There is a new online database for Puppy pet and sfs files, and another one is in development for derivatives.

The database is user maintained
Due to a lack of use by the Puppy community, I've taken the online database offline. Thanks to those that made entries, asked questions and made suggestions.

Thom

puppyite

#22 Post by puppyite »

tlchost wrote:
tlchost wrote:There is a new online database for Puppy pet and sfs files, and another one is in development for derivatives.

The database is user maintained
Due to a lack of use by the Puppy community, I've taken the online database offline. Thanks to those that made entries, asked questions and made suggestions.

Thom
That’s a shame. I’m afraid I too failed to utilize the resource you so generously made available to the Puppy Community. My bad. I likely forgot or it just didn’t occur to me to use it.

tlchost

#23 Post by tlchost »

puppyite wrote: That’s a shame. I’m afraid I too failed to utilize the resource you so generously made available to the Puppy Community. My bad. I likely forgot or it just didn’t occur to me to use it.
Don't feel bad...I had a suspicion when I started that it would not be used....it made too much sense to be able to use a searchable database to find things, versus wading through posts in various forums, visiting various websites.

To me, the lack of use of a searchable database is simply another attribute of things that are not ready for prime time.

Thom

retry3

Thanks for the effort

#24 Post by retry3 »

I just found this thread and as a eternal newbie I thought there might be a valuable resource in the making. Too bad it wound up like this, but I am sure there are others who appreciate the work that went into it. Thanks to all.

retry3

tlchost

Re: Thanks for the effort

#25 Post by tlchost »

retry3 wrote:I just found this thread and as a eternal newbie I thought there might be a valuable resource in the making. Too bad it wound up like this, but I am sure there are others who appreciate the work that went into it. Thanks to all.
I really hoped it would be utilized.....I suspect there are too many vested interests with other venues/methods.

I'm beginning to feel that many things done to and for Puppy that are practical are ignored....too may folks would rather fiddle around than use something.

Thom