Gaming on Puppy Linux

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
XmodAlloy

Gaming on Puppy Linux

#1 Post by XmodAlloy »

EDIT: I forgot to mention, don't do this if you have an ATI card without finding the drivers for it first! And, if you have an Nvidia card, install the Nvidia drivers I included first, and reboot.
Hello, I am going to try and help the people who can't figure out how to get games like Half life 2, Team Fortress 2, any other Source based game and probably other games on the right track.
First, the files I am going to include have only been tested on one system: mine (3GB RAM, 300GB hard drive, 2.5ghz dual core, Nvidia 9400GT, Puppy Linux 4.20), using steam as my game loader.
I cannot guarantee that what I am going to say will work on any other system or work at all. I will try to help people get their games running, though.
Ok, now to download the files. They should be at the bottom of my post or on a follow-up post. (Be warned, it's 97MB, so it doubles the size of your OS)
Unzip the files to wherever you want. I put them in a directory in my documents.
Now, we have all the files we will need. Go ahead and install Wine-1.1.24-i486.pet, it shouldn't have any errors.
I would bookmark this page at this point. Now restart the computer.
After the machine restarts, go to console and type "winecfg" without quotes. This will bring up a control panel. Click on the graphics tab, there will be a list of check boxes, check them all and on the "emulate a virtual desktop" one, make the desktop a bit smaller than your screen, I have a 1920x1200 monitor, so I decided to go with a 1024x768 one, if you have a 1024x768 desktop, go with something like 800x600.
The vertex shader support should be set to hardware.
Now, at the Applications tab, change the windows version to 2000 and close winecfg. Go to root, press the "eye" looking button at the top of the window. More directories with a . before the names will pop up. Go to the one that says .wine, then click on the drive_c/ then windows/
and lastly, system32 directory and paste the "streamci.dll" and the "mscoree.dll" into the system 32 directory. There should also be a directory inside system32 named drivers, paste "gm.dls" into that directory.
Now, I think you can install direct X into your Wine. Open the "directx_mar2008_redist.exe" and say yes a few times, and (answering in the affirmative) whatever it wants. It will then ask where you would like to extract the files. Make a new directory in drive_c named DIRECTX, and have it extract everything in there. Then, go to the DIRECTX directory, and find DXSETUP.exe. Click it and it should ask you some questions. Tell it what it wants (answer in the affirmative), and it should install without a glitch. If you have issues, please tell me, I will remember what I said wrong. Now, go to the .wine directory, and paste the .reg files I included in the zip file in there.
Run winecfg again. Some settings might be different now. Change the windows version to windows XP if it isn't already. Go to Audio and change the sound driver to ALSA and uncheck the OSS one. Go to graphics, reset the emulate virtual desktop to what you set it at before if it has changed.
Go to system32 again and paste the "ddrawex.dll" in there. Now, to see if Directx9 is working, click the dxdiag.exe which should be in the system32 folder (if it isn't, you forgot to change to windows 2000 mode before you installed direct X - if so, go back and change to 2000 mode and reinstall DirectX) on the display tab on dxdiag, press "Test DirectDraw." It should give you some funky looking squares and bouncing blocks, once that's over, press "Test Direct3D" and HOPEFULLY it will show you the spinning Direct X logo.
WE ARE ALMOST DONE!
Go to winecfg, uncheck the "emulate virtual desktop".
Now, installing games, either you have a game disk, or you have a steam account. I use a steam account, so I will explain that.
Go to .wine/drive_c/program files and make a new directory named Steam. In that directory, paste "steam.exe." Run it, do what it asks, install games, download games, take a nap, hopefully it's done. On your games menu in steam, right click, hit properties on the game, hit "set launch options" or something like that and type "-windowed -novid" in there without quotes. You should be able to start your game at this time. You will need to change some options once in the game, but you can't make it fullscreen because it will just minimize the game. It must be set to be a little smaller than your screen. :evil: It should play.
I hope this works for you. There is always the chance that I accidentally left out something. Tell me if you have issues.
Xmod
Last edited by XmodAlloy on Thu 23 Jul 2009, 15:39, edited 2 times in total.

XmodAlloy

#2 Post by XmodAlloy »

I finally had to upload it to 2shared.com, which has a ton of pop-ups. (Sorry)
http://www.2shared.com/file/6776745/d33 ... aming.html
the download button is a really small thing that say's "click here" just under the "file URL" box.

_MegadetH_

Re: Gaming on Puppy Linux

#3 Post by _MegadetH_ »

XmodAlloy wrote: There should also be a directory inside system32 named drivers, paste "gm.dls" into that directory.
Hi XmodAlloy! I followed the instructions but I don't have "gm.dls" file, and it isn't included in the zip you attached here. I tried to go on without that file and directdraw test pass but direct3d failed. Maybe it's because I don't have that gm.dls file.

XmodAlloy

#4 Post by XmodAlloy »

:oops: Looks like I forgot that.
Thanks for telling me, let me upload it real quick.
http://www.2shared.com/file/6819890/3bd204bb/gmdls.html
There, sorry about forgetting that.
And BTW, are you running dxdiag.exe when it's in a virtual desktop made by wine? When I run it out in the open, it crashes Wine.

_MegadetH_

#5 Post by _MegadetH_ »

XmodAlloy wrote::oops: Looks like I forgot that.
Thanks for telling me, let me upload it real quick.
http://www.2shared.com/file/6819890/3bd204bb/gmdls.html
There, sorry about forgetting that.
And BTW, are you running dxdiag.exe when it's in a virtual desktop made by wine? When I run it out in the open, it crashes Wine.
thanks I copied that file but still doesn't pass the video test. Anyway It's not the first time I try Wine...I never had luck running games in Linux...the only game I can run in Wine is windows solitare and mine lol. And yes dxdiag.exe is running from a virtual desktop made by wine. I think I give up with wine :/

XmodAlloy

#6 Post by XmodAlloy »

Could you give some specs on your video card?
I could also use the information about the error, was it a crash, some messages?
I will try to help if I can.

_MegadetH_

#7 Post by _MegadetH_ »

My video card is tnt2 riva vanta. sorry I can't remember well the error message because I had to format everything and now I'm having problems at the boot. :/

XmodAlloy

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your system

#8 Post by XmodAlloy »

I had an issue not too long ago that caused me to have to reformat and re-install. I do not think that the drivers I included will help for any kind of card except a PCI express graphics card, and that is what I think your issue is, the drivers not being the correct ones for that card.
I will keep an eye out for some good drivers that would work on the older AGP cards.
Xmod