Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 16:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to dual-boot Puppy and Ubuntu
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
kf6gse

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jul 2009, 15:42    Post subject:  How to dual-boot Puppy and Ubuntu  

Love my pup!
But at times need a little more. My machine is Asus 701 with stock 4gb SSD and 512 mb RAM. I bought also a $24.00 USB CD drive. Installed dingoplus to 8 gb SD card and love it much. But as we all know there are a few limits. One day this will change as these great GURUs keep adding to what is already a great product. My desire was to save the SD card as last resort use. So after spending many hours reading through the puppy and ubuntu forums I came to the decision it was problematic at the least to install both systems to such a small piece of hardware. But, as with most puppians I wouldn't accept the "it can't be done line" So here we go with the process. Pop in the LiveCD and boot up puppy. Use Gparted and remove all partitions on the 4 GB SSD and apply. Now create a 3 GB primary ext3 partition and apply. Then create a 1 GB primary ext3 partition and apply. Next do a universal installer and install puppy as a full install to the 1 GB partition. If yo did the above it should be /dev/sda2 and go ahead and install Grub as normal. Shut down as normal, remove CD and check your installation. If all went well we begin step two.

Boot from the Ubuntu livecd and choose to install. At this point choose advance and choose the 2 gb ext3 partition but format it as /ext4 and install ubuntu to it without swap drives. The 512 MB RAM is a good enough swap drive. Let Ubuntu complete the install and at the end reboot. Having removed the CD after POST Ubunto Grub will show the three Ubunu choices defaulting the first after 8 seconds or so and will boot up. After assuring it works reboot and this time at the grub prompt scroll down quickly to the unidentified linux and ener it. Puppy will boot as you had last left it. I LOVE THIS LITTLE MACHNE
droope

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul 2009, 07:25    Post subject:  

Asus rules, it's true Smile I have a 901 (i think) and, with puppy, It works as if it were a p4 with 2gb ram Smile

Almost no limits.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: