How to dual-boot Puppy and Ubuntu

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
kf6gse

How to dual-boot Puppy and Ubuntu

#1 Post by kf6gse »

Love my pup!
But at times need a little more. My machine is Asus 701 with stock 4gb SSD and 512 mb RAM. I bought also a $24.00 USB CD drive. Installed dingoplus to 8 gb SD card and love it much. But as we all know there are a few limits. One day this will change as these great GURUs keep adding to what is already a great product. My desire was to save the SD card as last resort use. So after spending many hours reading through the puppy and ubuntu forums I came to the decision it was problematic at the least to install both systems to such a small piece of hardware. But, as with most puppians I wouldn't accept the "it can't be done line" So here we go with the process. Pop in the LiveCD and boot up puppy. Use Gparted and remove all partitions on the 4 GB SSD and apply. Now create a 3 GB primary ext3 partition and apply. Then create a 1 GB primary ext3 partition and apply. Next do a universal installer and install puppy as a full install to the 1 GB partition. If yo did the above it should be /dev/sda2 and go ahead and install Grub as normal. Shut down as normal, remove CD and check your installation. If all went well we begin step two.

Boot from the Ubuntu livecd and choose to install. At this point choose advance and choose the 2 gb ext3 partition but format it as /ext4 and install ubuntu to it without swap drives. The 512 MB RAM is a good enough swap drive. Let Ubuntu complete the install and at the end reboot. Having removed the CD after POST Ubunto Grub will show the three Ubunu choices defaulting the first after 8 seconds or so and will boot up. After assuring it works reboot and this time at the grub prompt scroll down quickly to the unidentified linux and ener it. Puppy will boot as you had last left it. I LOVE THIS LITTLE MACHNE

droope

#2 Post by droope »

Asus rules, it's true :) I have a 901 (i think) and, with puppy, It works as if it were a p4 with 2gb ram :)

Almost no limits.