Choicepup-4.1.2minV2-k2.6.25.16.iso uploaded

News, happenings
tlchost

#31 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: Warning: If you should decide to uninstall it let me know because it takes a little fiddling to get the desktop drive icons to work again. Good idea to backup your pup_save first. Then if you don't like it you can just revert to your backup pup_save.

Very simple and effective. I may start listening to CD's again.
I think I'll pass...I make changes so often I would drive you nuts helping me restore things to "normal". The VLC sfs seems to work fine....

I would be lost if I could not play CD/s...I have hundreds of them with Old Timey Hill music and Bluegrass...and maybe 400 gigs or so on stuff on a hard drive.

Thom

tlchost

After Installing Firefox

#32 Post by tlchost »

I noticed that the icon for Help and ChoicePup brought up Netsurf to vew the files. I like to print docs for reference, and saw that netsurf wasnt able to do so.

Since I instaled Firefox, I made the following changes:

A. Help Icon to run FireFox
Change /usr/sbin/puppyhelp

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
   # exec defaulthtmlviewer /usr/share/doc/index.html
   exec defaulthtmlviewer /usr/share/doc/puppydocs.html
   Note: puppydocs.html created by tlc

B. Set Firefox as default htlmviewer
Change /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
   # exec netsurf "file://$@"
   exec firefox "file://$@"

I think a better method would be to made the default browser the default htlm viwer, but I couldn't reason that one out....how to do that?

My next step was to make an index of all the files in /usr/share/doc (See A above)...saves a lot of manual browsing, allows viewing of files that were not in the index.html file, and with firefox as the defaultviewer I can print what files I want.

I've attached puppydocs.html If the contents of your /usr/share/doc are different, it's not that difficult to edit the file.

Thom
Attachments
puppydocs.zip
files in /usr/share/doc
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

tlchost

Maximum number of SFS files

#33 Post by tlchost »

I've been attempting to increase the maximum number of sfs files I can load in at start up.

I added more pup_ro? files by going to /initrd/pup_ro1/initrd and adding directories pup_ro23, 24 and 25

When the system rebooted, the new ro files show up in /initrd, but if I add more sfs files, some of the ones that were added before the modification do not work.

Any ideas/solutions?

Thanks
Thom

jrb

#34 Post by jrb »

Thom wrote:I added more pup_ro? files by going to /initrd/pup_ro1/initrd and adding directories pup_ro23, 24 and 25
Those pup_roXX directories need to be created during the boot process by initrd.gz (on the puppy disk, usb, or frugal directory). To create more that are useable you will have to open up initrd.gz as discussed here and here. Create new pup_roXX folders, edit the init file in initrd.gz to use those folders and then recompress initrd.gz.

If you really want to do that I'll upload the scripts I use to extract and recompress initrd.gz. Let me know.

I found that when I first started playing with ChoicePup that I also ran out of device loops to mount sfs files on so I included /usr/local/bin/mknod.sh and symlinked it to /root/Startup/ in order to increase from /dev/loop7 to /dev/loop15. That seemed to fix the problem.

Hope that helps. Cheers, J

jrb

#35 Post by jrb »

Thom wrote:I think a better method would be to made the default browser the default htlm viwer
Rename /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmlviewer to defaulthtmlviewerOLD. Right click on /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and choose "LInk". Then name the link defaulthtmlviewer. That should do it.

Bye for now, J

tlchost

#36 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote: Those pup_roXX directories need to be created during the boot process by initrd.gz (on the puppy disk, usb, or frugal directory).

If you really want to do that I'll upload the scripts I use to extract and recompress initrd.gz. Let me know.
I'd appreciate it

I included /usr/local/bin/mknod.sh and symlinked it to /root/Startup/ in order to increase from /dev/loop7 to /dev/loop15.
That lost me....what's the relation between /dev/loop13 and the max_loop=28 statement in the kernel line?

jrb

#37 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:That lost me....what's the relation between /dev/loop13 and the max_loop=28 statement in the kernel line?
Lost me too. I just kept getting these messages about no available device loops :shock: , so I made more and the messages went away. :D

I'll post those scripts tonight with a bit of a writeup. Have been meaning to do that for awhile but Life keeps getting in the way.

tlchost

#38 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:
tlchost wrote:That lost me....what's the relation between /dev/loop13 and the max_loop=28 statement in the kernel line?
Lost me too. I just kept getting these messages about no available device loops :shock: , so I made more and the messages went away. :D
Gawd....that's how I do things....now I'm really scared! I assume you mean you made more pup_roxx directories.
I'll post those scripts tonight with a bit of a writeup. Have been meaning to do that for awhile but Life keeps getting in the way.
Yes....I finally got around to putting in some supports on my deck....my daughter told me one end was lower than the other...and now that I've done it, instead of being proud, I'm looking for someone who knows how to to it right way.

Thanks,
Thom

jrb

#39 Post by jrb »

jrb wrote:I'll upload the scripts I use to extract and recompress initrd.gz
I finally got through my writers block :roll: and got it, along with other pupbuild tools uploaded. See Build your own Puppy

nooby

#40 Post by nooby »

I did test it way back in 2010 but that maybe is too old to count :)
I did not test the latest version.

But seaside's pet do give me that feature already.

The difference would be if choice is smaller than all the others. Is it?
Very few do talk about it. So not sure what to do.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though