Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 14:06
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Lynx 2-8-7 A simple text web browser
Page 2 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
tallboy

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2017, 20:29    Post subject:  

Sounds like success!
Do you use lynx as a regular browser, or just as a file browser like I do?

schober

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 10:44    Post subject:  

I use lynx to download website text without the html junk
lynx -dump "url" | some filters > file

I tried "lynx /root/my-applications" command, using it as a file browser
Yes! It's surprisingly fast. Much better than using ROX and then Geany. It can open txt files in the lynx window and pdf's with the pdf viewer; jpg's unfortunately need the xli script
Very useful if you want to find a text file but can't quite remember where you put it or what it was called!
tallboy

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 21:44    Post subject:  

schober wrote:
I use lynx to download website text without the html junk
lynx -dump "url" | some filters > file
Nice, I'll remember that, I usually use Print preview and print to a .pdf file. (Uhh, I don't really have to remember it, I use the simple, excellent and old-fashioned NoteCase to archive Linux and Puppy tips! Very Happy )
schober wrote:
Yes! It's surprisingly fast. Much better than using ROX and then Geany.
It often surprises me that many users look for flashy design and lots of functions in the latest applications, instead of fine-tuning a simple and fast application like lynx, that actually works! Before I found Puppylinux, I experimented with all Debian terminal-only programs, to try to build my own compact Linux, and lynx was one program I used all the time.

Tip: If you download and read info-files or man-pages from your own PC, instead of reading man-pages online, there is an application named Pinfo that works just like lynx! If the info-page in question is not found, it switches automatically to read the man-page instead, if that exists. In info-files, the options to a command, or examples, is listed as links - often several levels deep, and those links are followed just like lynx, using the same arrow keys. You'll find an explanation to any option immediatly!

Many years ago, I made the IT-dept. at the Uni install Pinfo to the Linux servers (which also held all available info and man-pages), and I used it all the time. My favorite command was 'Pinfo libc', to open the massive C library consisting of several hundred pages, were all the functions and expressions and examples were internal links. Talk about finding an answer to a programming question quickly! People refused to believe me, until they actually tried Pinfo themselves! Laughing

tallboy

step

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec 2017, 13:42    Post subject:  

@tallboy thanks for the pinfo suggestion. I made a package for Fatdog64-720. Linked as +Packages in my sig.
tallboy

PostPosted: Mon 25 Dec 2017, 17:29    Post subject:  

Great! Please look through the Pinfo activation script, it expects a man-page reader that first tries to open internal files instead of those online. I actually have a problem finding a 'normal' old-fashioned reader to my Lucid 5.2.8.7. The modernized Pinfo version may handle that problem differently. I have a massive Debian at my home PC, and there Pinfo is an essential tool.

BTW, schober: lynx make no dump if the page is https. Sad

step

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jan 2018, 17:54    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
Great! Please look through the Pinfo activation script, it expects a man-page reader that first tries to open internal files instead of those online.
Don't know, sorry, there is no Pinfo activation script in the source package. I compiled it and got a binary file, a man page and an rc file.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 03 Jan 2018, 05:21    Post subject:  

Lynx used to be part of the OpenBSD base (so along with twm/cwm/fvwm you had X and a browser without having to install any third party programs), but they pulled it due to concerns over the security and quality of lynx code.

Chromium is popular within the OpenBSD desktop user community nowadays because that runs fully under pledge, which is OpenBSD's (more effective) equivalent of Linux's seccomp and offers much improved security.
tallboy

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jan 2018, 23:02    Post subject:  

step, I got Pinfo from the Ubuntu-universe and -multiverse repo in the updated ppm for my Lucid 5.2.8.7. I installed pinfo_0.6.9-5 and install-info_4.13a.dfsg.1. In earlier puppies I used versions taken from a Debian repo.
I am unfortunately unfamiliar with your Fatdog64. Sad

greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 14:49    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
(Uhh, I don't really have to remember it, I use the simple, excellent and old-fashioned NoteCase to archive Linux and Puppy tips! Very Happy )
Now there's an idea - any chance of making your notecase tip archive publicly available? I'd love a copy
cheers!
tallboy

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2018, 22:27    Post subject:  

Quote:
Now there's an idea - any chance of making your notecase tip archive publicly available? I'd love a copy
cheers!

How is your norwegian? Razz
It is actually a mix of norwegian comments to many copied english sentences from this forum, and articles and howtos. I'll think about editing an english version. If I do it, you'll get the first copy to make a review! Very Happy

greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2018, 01:50    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
How is your norwegian? Razz
To be honest "Carlsberg" is the only Norwegian word I know Very Happy

I think it might be really handy for the Puppy newsletter (which uses notecase format just as you are doing) to regularly include a "database" of puppians handy hints - not necessarily long winded notes or tutorials, but "shorthand" tips and one-liners.

Things like:
- how to interrogate what disks are mounted
- how to use ffmpeg to capture screen activity
- how to display webcam output
- how to display memory usage
- how to turn swap on and off
etc
etc

Command line stuff really. Is that the type of thing that is in your notecase archive?
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar 2018, 22:40    Post subject:  

Quote:
To be honest "Carlsberg" is the only Norwegian word I know

Eeeh, OK, close enough, Denmark is only a few hours away on a southbound ferry...

Quote:
Command line stuff really. Is that the type of thing that is in your notecase archive?

Yes, exactly those easy forgotten details for when I use commands that come in handy, maybe once a year! Some clever options, and some no-no-no-never things not to do. Very Happy

greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar 2018, 00:28    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
Eeeh, OK, close enough, Denmark is only a few hours away on a southbound ferry...
oops, my bad. Wikipedia let me down Smile Lervig maybe?
tallboy

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar 2018, 00:30    Post subject:  

A very mature choice! But maybe hard to find abroad. A couple of pints of Big Ass Money Stout 2, at 16% (!) alcohol content, should make your life more interesting! Cool
http://lervig.no/en/brewery/

Page 2 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: