Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Oct 2014, 04:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Ideas for possible distributions
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul 2009, 16:20    Post_subject:  Ideas for possible distributions  

Just a suggestion. I find Puppy 4.2.1 way too much for my old pc. It runs very slowly. I also had some difficulty installing it. I've only got 96mb of ram. I find a lot of the recent bling, the desktop stuff - clock, calendar and so on don't really interest me that much. 4 Dingo runs faster!

What I need is functional improvements but not bling. JWM is just fine. An ability to further configure the installation during the install, or a range of puplet distributions targeted for particular pc's based on ram, processor etc., might be useful to the audience, i.e., installations recommended for 3x, 4x, 5x for Ramsize X, Processor X.

Yorkiesnorkie.
yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul 2009, 19:48    Post_subject: Further thoughts  

For example my pc processor is a 233 mhz with mmx. Up until now the Puppy distros have run without difficulty on my pc. However, I think we will soon need some basic parameters to decide which distribution would work best. It looks to me like 4.2.1 is too much for my pc. Does anyone know what the ideal hardware would be for that distro? Also, I need a retro version which covers older hardware. I fully realize that as time goes by the curtain is drawing down on old hardware, but there's still time to rescue old pc's from the trash! One man's garbage is another's treasure!

Yorkiesnorkie
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul 2009, 22:14    Post_subject: Re: Further thoughts  

yorkiesnorkie wrote:
For example my pc processor is a 233 mhz with mmx. Up until now the Puppy distros have run without difficulty on my pc. However, I think we will soon need some basic parameters to decide which distribution would work best. It looks to me like 4.2.1 is too much for my pc. Does anyone know what the ideal hardware would be for that distro? Also, I need a retro version which covers older hardware. I fully realize that as time goes by the curtain is drawing down on old hardware, but there's still time to rescue old pc's from the trash! One man's garbage is another's treasure!

Yorkiesnorkie

Sounds like you need 2.14X its a lot faster and mostly newer than 4.2, It has a older kernel and Xorg but most of the backend has been updated and has the latest Firefox/flash, V5 is the latest release (V6 was a flop),lol V7 will be released sometime today hopefully, Smile
If you want to try V5 the download link is on the top of this thread, I try not post direct links in other threads, due to the rapid update of this version and the links would get outdated quickly Smile
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
ttuuxxx

yorkiesnorkie

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul 2009, 17:38    Post_subject: Thanks!  

Hi ttuuxxx,

Thanks for the link and the advice. I don't mind reading other posts by the way. I've been bravely following along from puppy version to version. I'm currently running 4.2.1 right now, and I've turned off most of the widgets except for the top bar. Its working. The adventure continues! There's lots to like in 4.2.1.

I'll check out 2.1.4X. It sounds interesting. I've got various versions of Puppy on cd now, from 2.1.5CE on, and a few puplets I've looked at. Sounds like I missed something if 2.1.4X is a variation. I'll check out the link.

Thanks!

Yorkiesnorkie
Smile
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot