Oldest system used?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mr Doolie

Oldest system used?

#1 Post by Mr Doolie »

I'm curious. Puppy is so flexible and small. What's the oldest most retarded lamest most limited crappy system somebody has gotten Puppy to run on? Run usably I mean not just barely boot up and sit there not able to do anything. I was thnking that you really don't even need a CDROM if you could plug the target's HDD into another system and do a "Type-2" install.

Question 2:
What's the phyically smallest system anybody has used? I mean like a itty-bitty dedicated custom job or a handheld or something?
Wasn't Wallyworld selling a small lame confuser that already came with Linux for about $300?

Barry? Any plans for a handheld version of Puppy or Puppy on a cellphone or Puppy On A Chip? Hey! A dedicated puppy-on-a-chip system that fits in your pocket, used RAM for the "HDD", has a built-in WIFI and a built-in LCD screen. Hardware Hackers, are you reading this?

I get 10% of the profits if you use the idea! <grin>

P.S. NintendoDS has WIFI and a screen!

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

There is a parallel thread here that addresses part of your question.
A number of people are running Puppy on thin client machines, but none that I know of have attempted the move to handhelds, although there is a Linux version for the Compaq/HP IPAQ.

Corsequoy

Puppy on a PC with no CDROM

#3 Post by Corsequoy »

I have Puppy running on a PC with no CD-ROM.

I put a basic Windows 95 on it using floppies. I then split the three necessary Pup files up into floppy size chunks, using another machine, and put them back together on the C drive of 95.

There are no drivers or programs on the Win95 set up because I don't use it but Puppy runs great booting from a Puppy Wake-up disk.

The machine is a Compaq Deskpro / Pentium MMX 233 / 156 M ram / 2111 MB hard drive,

norsiwel

libretto 100ct

#4 Post by norsiwel »

I have 1.07 running quite well on a Toshiba Libretto 100CT, it has 32 megs of ram, I'm using an 80 mb swap, that I had to format with before I could use the wakepup floppy and a USB CD-RW to install it from, since the Libretto uses an 800X480 screen I had to manually edit the xorg.conf file to make the screen fit and I still have problems with dialog boxes and programs going off the screen, but other than that it works great, it even does wireless internet with my orinoco gold pcmcia card.
the only thing that is constant is change

puppyfan

#5 Post by puppyfan »

How about an HP Omnibook 2101, 32megs, 2 Gig HD. Partition1 is FAT16 runs MS-Dos 6.22, 256 MB. dev/hda2 has Puppy 1.07 w/ FireFox 1.5. Works great for run of the mill browsing with a Belkin 54g PCMCIA card. :D