Slitaz' floppy boot disk boots Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
01micko

Slitaz' floppy boot disk boots Puppy

#1 Post by 01micko »

Hello all :)

Some of you will know of a competitor of Puppy's called "Slitaz". It's a minimalist distro of 29 meg iso. Yeah it's ok if you can get it to boot, then get online. But, the interesting thing is the boot disk link that they provide, claiming it as their own, which it may well be. This little floppy image is quite amazing. I can boot to Puppy (216_fat_free-dillo...live) on my 486, as well as DSL. but not Slitaz! It even tries to boot BarryK's latest update of 2 series Puppy, 218. Note that my 486 is very RAM limited.

I can also boot my USB key on my main machine (which for some strange reason does not support usb booting, Athlon 2100+, Asus K7S8X mobo). I am typing from said system now, running Puppy412 from a usb install.

It says it can support net booting also.

Here is the link http://mirror.slitaz.org/boot/floppy-grub4dos

Use the "dd" comand to make the floppy.

Have Fun! :D
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

This looks like a good alternative for people who cannot get the Wakepup floppy to work.

nitehawk

#3 Post by nitehawk »

That looks interesting,...
however,...I already use the "boot from floppy" option in the Puppy Universal Installer thingy. Works great for me,.... :D

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

rcrsn51 wrote:This looks like a good alternative for people who cannot get the Wakepup floppy to work.
Yes, seems to me it would be, and more!
nitehawk wrote:however,...I already use the "boot from floppy" option in the Puppy Universal Installer thingy. Works great for me,.... :D
Would that be grub on a floppy nitehawk? Also the Wakepup floppy is a very good utility. I just thought this might be handy for some folks out there. :)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access