Back up Save file........Possible?

Using applications, configuring, problems
diaeresis

#31 Post by diaeresis »

OK, I tried e2fsck as you can see from the script below and that through up a lot of errors which it fixed. However the backup still gave me the bad shutdown error message. I have yet to try the suggestion from 2byte as I am in the middle of downloading softmaker and it looks like it will be another hour at least which is killing me as I want to try the modified script RIGHT NOW!

I will post back in a couple of hours.... please don't adjust your sets normal service will be resumed shortly....

#!/bin/sh
#script name : mybackup

mv /etc/.XLOADED /etc/xloadedx

cp -f -v /mnt/home/puppy430/pupsave-eric.2fs /mnt/home/puppy430/pupsave-ericbak
mv --backup /mnt/home/puppy430/pupsave-ericbak /mnt/home/puppy430/pupsave-ericbak.2fs
e2fsck -y pupsave-ericbak.2fs

mv /etc/xloadedx /etc/.XLOADED

Obviously(!) you need to specify YOUR pupsave and path as using mine will probably not work :D

OK, children fed, bathed and in bed so after some long testing all day this script now works. It will create a copy of your current in use pupsave on the fly. At next boot you will be given the option to use the backup pupsave or the original one. If you create another backup the first will be turned into a .bak file. Don't know what happens if you try to create a 3rd as I haven't tried it!

Many thanks to all helpful suggestions!

Next on the list is

1) allow the script to find your pupsave file without it being explicitly named in the script

2) modify initrd.gz so that if a pupsave with the name xxxxxbak,2fs is on the hard drive you are given the option to "boot from backup" rather than just having a list of pupsaves to choose from. (I hope that makes sense!)

I will try to accomplish those to goals but I have to admit there will probably be ice skates for sale in hell before I manage it :D

linuxsansdisquedur

#32 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

well well i ever copy the pupsave of the session i use before any changing : just drag and drop.
i think it make be possible because i ve changed a script -dont remenber where- to save only once an hour!
the same script used with usb install to preserve the media
le max avec le min