steve_s

#76 Post by steve_s »

Caneri wrote:This may be the one you are looking for

http://puppylinux.asia/members/seeker/

Eric
Eric, you ROCK! 8)

ecomoney

#77 Post by ecomoney »

Hi, sorry for the broken links...Im trying to raise the funds to restart my server!

For 4.3.1, I would suggest using the 4.2.1 installer initially and then in the c:\pup421 folder replacing the initrd.gz, vmlinuz and pup_421.sfs files with the equivalents from the puppy 4.3.1 iso/cd.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

steve_s

#78 Post by steve_s »

ecomoney wrote:Hi, sorry for the broken links...Im trying to raise the funds to restart my server!

For 4.3.1, I would suggest using the 4.2.1 installer initially and then in the c:\pup421 folder replacing the initrd.gz, vmlinuz and pup_421.sfs files with the equivalents from the puppy 4.3.1 iso/cd.
Thanks, eco...don't sweat it. Get those funds raised! 8)

ecomoney

#79 Post by ecomoney »

Ive just used the puppy 4.2.1 installer to create dual boot on a standard Dell Inspiron 5100 XP laptop with 256mb of RAM and a 40gb NTFS formatted Hard disk. I came across some problems. These may be to do with the installer, or (and I seriously hope this is not the case) with puppy itself.

The first problem was that the boot parameters given in the GRUB menu state that only the subdirectory c:\puppylinux421 should be used (the PSUBDIR=puppylinux421 boot parameter). Once the system has booted into puppy, the rc.shutdown(?) script offers to create a save file (pup_save.2fs) on the hard disk, however it saves this in the root of c:\ , not c:\puppylinux421 . The result is that the save file does not get picked up again when the computer is next restarted ("Oh no puppy lost my work!").

Another fault was that a puppy.swp swap file was not created on the NTFS formatted drive automatically. This caused the computer to hang and not respond after some use.

Are these faults with this installer or Puppy Linux itself...this type of laptop is of an idea spec for people to install PL on it, a "target spec machine".
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

ICPUG

#80 Post by ICPUG »

Hmm - Strange.

If you do a manual frugal install By the Lin'N'Win method - which this installer is based on - then when you come to the save file creation you have the choice to specify where it goes. If you choose the same partition to which the main Puppy files are installed the default directory option is where those files are stored (as pointed to by psubdir). If you choose another partition I am not sure what default directory is given - I never do that!

Regarding the swap file - I am not sure if I remember correctly but I don't think creation of a swap file was automatic with Puppy 4.2.1. It is with 4.3.1 - but I am not sure I like it. It creates a swap file hugely bigger in size than the one Windows creates when it boots up! On free space challenged hard drives that is not nice. Not sure why you think the lack of swap file is why the laptop hangs after a while. Could there be another reason?

steve_s

#81 Post by steve_s »

Don't know why it wouldn't put the save file in the same folder, but I assure you it wasn't something I added to exe file...I agree with you that I hope it is the fault of the exe file and not something to do with Puppy, but I can't see how it is the exe file: basically all that file does is makea folder to put things into.

As far as making the swap file, I am sure it doesn't do that automatically...

noryb009

#82 Post by noryb009 »

Is anyone planning on updating this for 501 or 510 once it comes out? If not, could I use the files for an updated version?

steve_s

#83 Post by steve_s »

noryb009 wrote:Is anyone planning on updating this for 501 or 510 once it comes out? If not, could I use the files for an updated version?
I hadn't planned on it as Puppy is changing so fast these days, but certainly the files could be used for a new exe...I could look at it again if we get a solid "this is puppy for a while" version...

ICPUG

#84 Post by ICPUG »

Amen to what steve_s says.

I have been thinking of updating the Lin'N'Win pages for Puppy 5 for a while - but which Puppy 5??

Quirky's and Wary's are Barry's playthings/testbeds so these can vary from version to version very quickly.

Lupu 5.0.1 is the nearest stable Puppy 5 but it had some major problems with video drivers (shared with the Quirky's and Ubuntu and Knoppix ...) which the development of Lupu 5.1 solved. This latter is in beta and hopefully will be released soon and be stable for a while.

I have also become very impressed with Lighthouse Puppy which has been upgraded to 5.0.0C. This has become my fatter Puppy of choice (used to be Hacao). I might start catering for that at Lin'N'Win as well.

noryb009

#85 Post by noryb009 »

noryb009 wrote:
Is anyone planning on updating this for 501 or 510 once it comes out? If not, could I use the files for an updated version?
I hadn't planned on it as Puppy is changing so fast these days, but certainly the files could be used for a new exe...I could look at it again if we get a solid "this is puppy for a while" version...
I found NSIS. It's open source, "a free scriptable win32 installer/uninstaller system that doesn't suck and isn't huge"(Source: the site). It's easy to change (puppy changes like, 3 files, 2 the same name?) you just copy the new intred.gz and vmlinux to a folder, change 1 line to the new main sfs, and recompile. It might take 5 minutes for a new puppy linux.

steve_s

#86 Post by steve_s »

noryb009 wrote:
noryb009 wrote:
I found NSIS. It's open source, "a free scriptable win32 installer/uninstaller system that doesn't suck and isn't huge"(Source: the site). It's easy to change (puppy changes like, 3 files, 2 the same name?) you just copy the new intred.gz and vmlinux to a folder, change 1 line to the new main sfs, and recompile. It might take 5 minutes for a new puppy linux.
Wow...good find...give it a run! :D

noryb009

#87 Post by noryb009 »

Just a question, how did you get permission to edit the boot.ini? Did you run bootcfg, make a new boot.ini and over write it, or what?

steve_s

#88 Post by steve_s »

noryb009 wrote:Just a question, how did you get permission to edit the boot.ini? Did you run bootcfg, make a new boot.ini and over write it, or what?
Just did that manually. You can go to file settings and I also know you can right click it and look through the permissions...there is a box that you check or uncheck...I'll check it again but I'm not in Windows right now...

noryb009

#89 Post by noryb009 »

Never mind. I did it using attrib in the installer.

I think I have a working installer now, I will test it out...

Well, it said that windows was corrupt. Turns out I forgot about the grldr...

noryb009

#90 Post by noryb009 »

I got it working! I'll upload the installer maker package in a bit.

steve_s

#91 Post by steve_s »

noryb009 wrote:I got it working! I'll upload the installer maker package in a bit.
Hey, way to go! We await the results...

Oh, I'll change the initial post to reflect your upload...

noryb009

#92 Post by noryb009 »

I have tested it, and you might be able to do these instructions in wine, but they give different checksums.

Instructions (most of these can be done in puppy, and Geany even has syntax highlighting):
1) download the attachment
2) unzip it to C:\ (or "/root/.wine/c_drive" if your in puppy)
3) go into the folder it created
4) open up HOW TO MAKE AN INSTALLER.txt. It will tell you how to make an installer.

You will have to install NSIS to compile it: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download.
Last edited by noryb009 on Tue 19 Oct 2010, 23:00, edited 3 times in total.

steve_s

#93 Post by steve_s »

:shock: Oops...thought this was my thread...it's not.

Ok, I changed the initial post on my thread here to show your new development, norbyb009. Good job! 8)

noryb009

#94 Post by noryb009 »

Thanks!

ICPUG

#95 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks from me as well.

I have yet to investigate what you have done but if you have got it working it sounds very promising.

The problem with Vista/Windows 7 is that boot.ini does not exist and a whole new method of hooking into the Windows boot is required - (most people use EasyBCD for this). As I say I have not looked at your technique yet but I suspect some tweeks will be needed for the latest Windows.