Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 01:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy-Win32-Installer
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 6 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
steve_s

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 12:34    Post_subject:  

Caneri wrote:
This may be the one you are looking for

http://puppylinux.asia/members/seeker/

Eric

Eric, you ROCK! Cool
ecomoney

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec 2009, 08:30    Post_subject:  

Hi, sorry for the broken links...Im trying to raise the funds to restart my server!

For 4.3.1, I would suggest using the 4.2.1 installer initially and then in the c:\pup421 folder replacing the initrd.gz, vmlinuz and pup_421.sfs files with the equivalents from the puppy 4.3.1 iso/cd.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec 2009, 10:27    Post_subject:  

ecomoney wrote:
Hi, sorry for the broken links...Im trying to raise the funds to restart my server!

For 4.3.1, I would suggest using the 4.2.1 installer initially and then in the c:\pup421 folder replacing the initrd.gz, vmlinuz and pup_421.sfs files with the equivalents from the puppy 4.3.1 iso/cd.

Thanks, eco...don't sweat it. Get those funds raised! Cool
ecomoney

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb 2010, 22:32    Post_subject:  

Ive just used the puppy 4.2.1 installer to create dual boot on a standard Dell Inspiron 5100 XP laptop with 256mb of RAM and a 40gb NTFS formatted Hard disk. I came across some problems. These may be to do with the installer, or (and I seriously hope this is not the case) with puppy itself.

The first problem was that the boot parameters given in the GRUB menu state that only the subdirectory c:\puppylinux421 should be used (the PSUBDIR=puppylinux421 boot parameter). Once the system has booted into puppy, the rc.shutdown(?) script offers to create a save file (pup_save.2fs) on the hard disk, however it saves this in the root of c:\ , not c:\puppylinux421 . The result is that the save file does not get picked up again when the computer is next restarted ("Oh no puppy lost my work!").

Another fault was that a puppy.swp swap file was not created on the NTFS formatted drive automatically. This caused the computer to hang and not respond after some use.

Are these faults with this installer or Puppy Linux itself...this type of laptop is of an idea spec for people to install PL on it, a "target spec machine".

Sorry, my server is down atm!
ICPUG

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2010, 08:38    Post_subject:  

Hmm - Strange.

If you do a manual frugal install By the Lin'N'Win method - which this installer is based on - then when you come to the save file creation you have the choice to specify where it goes. If you choose the same partition to which the main Puppy files are installed the default directory option is where those files are stored (as pointed to by psubdir). If you choose another partition I am not sure what default directory is given - I never do that!

Regarding the swap file - I am not sure if I remember correctly but I don't think creation of a swap file was automatic with Puppy 4.2.1. It is with 4.3.1 - but I am not sure I like it. It creates a swap file hugely bigger in size than the one Windows creates when it boots up! On free space challenged hard drives that is not nice. Not sure why you think the lack of swap file is why the laptop hangs after a while. Could there be another reason?
steve_s

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb 2010, 09:54    Post_subject:  

Don't know why it wouldn't put the save file in the same folder, but I assure you it wasn't something I added to exe file...I agree with you that I hope it is the fault of the exe file and not something to do with Puppy, but I can't see how it is the exe file: basically all that file does is makea folder to put things into.

As far as making the swap file, I am sure it doesn't do that automatically...
noryb009

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug 2010, 21:11    Post_subject:  

Is anyone planning on updating this for 501 or 510 once it comes out? If not, could I use the files for an updated version?
steve_s

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug 2010, 22:25    Post_subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
Is anyone planning on updating this for 501 or 510 once it comes out? If not, could I use the files for an updated version?

I hadn't planned on it as Puppy is changing so fast these days, but certainly the files could be used for a new exe...I could look at it again if we get a solid "this is puppy for a while" version...
ICPUG

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug 2010, 07:35    Post_subject:  

Amen to what steve_s says.

I have been thinking of updating the Lin'N'Win pages for Puppy 5 for a while - but which Puppy 5??

Quirky's and Wary's are Barry's playthings/testbeds so these can vary from version to version very quickly.

Lupu 5.0.1 is the nearest stable Puppy 5 but it had some major problems with video drivers (shared with the Quirky's and Ubuntu and Knoppix ...) which the development of Lupu 5.1 solved. This latter is in beta and hopefully will be released soon and be stable for a while.

I have also become very impressed with Lighthouse Puppy which has been upgraded to 5.0.0C. This has become my fatter Puppy of choice (used to be Hacao). I might start catering for that at Lin'N'Win as well.
noryb009

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug 2010, 09:15    Post_subject:  

Quote:
noryb009 wrote:
Quote:

I hadn't planned on it as Puppy is changing so fast these days, but certainly the files could be used for a new exe...I could look at it again if we get a solid "this is puppy for a while" version...

I found NSIS. It's open source, "a free scriptable win32 installer/uninstaller system that doesn't suck and isn't huge"(Source: the site). It's easy to change (puppy changes like, 3 files, 2 the same name?) you just copy the new intred.gz and vmlinux to a folder, change 1 line to the new main sfs, and recompile. It might take 5 minutes for a new puppy linux.
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug 2010, 18:26    Post_subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
Quote:
noryb009 wrote:
Quote:

I found NSIS. It's open source, "a free scriptable win32 installer/uninstaller system that doesn't suck and isn't huge"(Source: the site). It's easy to change (puppy changes like, 3 files, 2 the same name?) you just copy the new intred.gz and vmlinux to a folder, change 1 line to the new main sfs, and recompile. It might take 5 minutes for a new puppy linux.

Wow...good find...give it a run! Very Happy
noryb009

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010, 14:09    Post_subject:  

Just a question, how did you get permission to edit the boot.ini? Did you run bootcfg, make a new boot.ini and over write it, or what?
steve_s

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010, 19:10    Post_subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
Just a question, how did you get permission to edit the boot.ini? Did you run bootcfg, make a new boot.ini and over write it, or what?

Just did that manually. You can go to file settings and I also know you can right click it and look through the permissions...there is a box that you check or uncheck...I'll check it again but I'm not in Windows right now...
noryb009

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010, 20:03    Post_subject:  

Never mind. I did it using attrib in the installer.

I think I have a working installer now, I will test it out...

Well, it said that windows was corrupt. Turns out I forgot about the grldr...
noryb009

PostPosted: Tue 10 Aug 2010, 07:57    Post_subject:  

I got it working! I'll upload the installer maker package in a bit.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 6 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum