Puppy-Win32-Installer

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tasmod

#61 Post by tasmod »

"Does not compute" error, error, error :?: :!: :idea: :arrow: :?:
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

ecomoney

#62 Post by ecomoney »

Hi Rob, Ive sent you FTP details via PM, thanks for sorting this out.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

mikeb

#63 Post by mikeb »

root=/dev/ram0
this was needed for older kernels and is not related to subdirectories....in case there was any confusion there.....a lookup table of puppy versions and menu requirements perhaps..the version could be taken from the pup_xxx.sfs name.

mike

tasmod

#64 Post by tasmod »

Uploaded puphamsamben.exe file to ecomoney server. Took a while as it kept dropping connection.

This is the full version.

http://www.ecomoney.eu/puppy/winstaller ... samben.exe
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

ecomoney

#65 Post by ecomoney »

Cheers Tasmod, I will give it a quick test before I submit it to the HSB thread. :)
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

ecomoney

#66 Post by ecomoney »

Its taken me a while to get this tested, sorry. I tried it on a compaq Evo N110 laptop which has Windows 2000 already installed fresh from a new batch of stuff I recently picked up from a local school. It installed the dual bootloader fine, but when it was booted, I could not get rox to start (I didint try from command line), and only had a black screen with no icons. My instinct leads me to believe that this to be a fault with the HSB suite (one of its .sfs's?) rather than a fault with the installer program...but more testing is needed. I will refer it to the HSB team to see if any of them is able to diagnose the fault, and report back.

ecomoney

#67 Post by ecomoney »

Have done some more (3) tests, and the HSB installer worked fine :-) so maybe it was something specific with the above PC.

I tested the Puppy 4.2.1 installer on a Acer Aspire PC with 3 Partitions...a quite common setup, as many newer computers running windows are configured with one (hidden) partition for drivers, another for the windows install itself, and another for the users data. This is due no doubt to the constant need to reinstall windows after infection or corruption. I got this error...

Code: Select all

Booting Puppy Linux installer 09-13-2009

label (hd0,0)/puppylinux421/vmlinuz psubdir=puppylinux421

Error 15 File not found

Press any key to continue

When I pressed "e" in GRUB to edit and changed the entries in there to (hd 0,1) puppy booted fine. I could then edit the boot.ini file and permanently change these settings so the bootloader worked without "expert" surgery.

I have had a callout from this client today (since I left) to say that now his Windows will not boot. I am calling tommorow to investigate this.

Attached is a (pretty poor) photo of the computers partition layout in gParted

mikeb

#68 Post by mikeb »

This is due no doubt to the constant need to reinstall windows after infection or corruption.
actually I suspect it's more to do with the fact that new machines often are not supplied with a proper windows cd..see you don't even get what you paid for.

That amazing picture seems to show the structure is still valid for windows....did you get to test windows before you left ? Since /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2 is the windows partition fingers may have had accidents.

As for the installer windows will be seeing sda2 as c:\ since sda1 is hidden..grub of course is not so blind...tricky one there. One idea that popped up would be to add a menu.lst entry either hidden or not that allows for the presense of a hidden partition.

mike

ecomoney

#69 Post by ecomoney »

Yes mike, windows rebooted fine before I left. The guy is pretty determined to go linux all the way eventually (after I gave him a little "pep talk"), but still needs doze for now while his knowledge grows.

Ive seen a lot of computers with hidden driver partitions at the beginning of the disk (at least until I flatten them with DBAN and puppyfy them :D ). The technical level of the users I suspect will use this installer will not know about this partition, so it must be checked for in the installation code. Seeing as this is under windoze, it may be tricky to detect.

Perhaps putting instructions in the readme file for changing the menu.lst if the installer fails for this reason the first time would be a quick work-around for the moment to cover this scenario.

ecomoney

#70 Post by ecomoney »

using the standard puppy 421 installer, I came across the following error today (see screenshot attached). Clicking "OK" just brought the box requesting the location shown in the screenshot back again.

The installer created the bootup menu entry, but choosing "Start Puppy Linux" brought up a (windows) error message about NTLDLR not being found. Sorry I couldnt collect more details.
Attachments
screenshot-pupinstall-error.JPG
(112.4 KiB) Downloaded 559 times

mikeb

#71 Post by mikeb »

The installer created the bootup menu entry, but choosing "Start Puppy Linux" brought up a (windows) error message about NTLDLR not being found. Sorry I couldnt collect more details.
Hm funny last night I was testing a transferred XP install and I was getting such errors which apparently came down to CaSe sensitivity on ntfs...might be worth a try.

by the way why is it called the XP taskbar when it clearly is the XP tray bar :D

mike

efiguy

Puppy-Win32-Installer

#72 Post by efiguy »

Hi,

I am impressed, the subject system was a w98 fat32 update to XP sp3 in late '07.
The installer and boot menu executed flawlessly, and Puppy and XP will boot as requested, However, C: disk space will not allow a "Save file" to be adequately created.
Saving is then moved to another drive (in win it is D) (fat32) root sdb1 and it is placed there on exiting. On subsequent reboots this drive is not found before the need of the information within the save file.
I.E. that xorg, network and left handed mouse information has to be repeated for each boot.

I am betting that there is a file that can be edited to start "sdb1" early in the boot process, hope that is case.

What an asset this is to the windows PC, - Congratulations is in order - even if it continues to require a boot setup.

Open to suggestions and Thanks in advance for help

Happy Puppy user
jay

steve_s

#73 Post by steve_s »

Is there an alternative download site (for the original installer-creator)? I am trying to get this one going for Pup431, if it hasn't already been done by someone, but I keep getting error 404's when trying to download...server down? Anyone else got it or have other ideas? :wink:

Caneri

#74 Post by Caneri »

This may be the one you are looking for

http://puppylinux.asia/members/seeker/

Eric

abedarts

#75 Post by abedarts »

NOW I find this, just after I did a dual boot XP / Puppy431 install the Lin'n'Win way. The only thing I did differently from Lin'n'Win was I also copied a pupsave.2fs from a USB install into my puppy431 folder, which seemed to go ok and saved me the hassle of having to set everything up again. Could I have done that with your new installer? Anyway I am going to try yours next, it looks really good.

steve_s

#76 Post by steve_s »

Caneri wrote:This may be the one you are looking for

http://puppylinux.asia/members/seeker/

Eric
Eric, you ROCK! 8)

ecomoney

#77 Post by ecomoney »

Hi, sorry for the broken links...Im trying to raise the funds to restart my server!

For 4.3.1, I would suggest using the 4.2.1 installer initially and then in the c:\pup421 folder replacing the initrd.gz, vmlinuz and pup_421.sfs files with the equivalents from the puppy 4.3.1 iso/cd.

steve_s

#78 Post by steve_s »

ecomoney wrote:Hi, sorry for the broken links...Im trying to raise the funds to restart my server!

For 4.3.1, I would suggest using the 4.2.1 installer initially and then in the c:\pup421 folder replacing the initrd.gz, vmlinuz and pup_421.sfs files with the equivalents from the puppy 4.3.1 iso/cd.
Thanks, eco...don't sweat it. Get those funds raised! 8)

ecomoney

#79 Post by ecomoney »

Ive just used the puppy 4.2.1 installer to create dual boot on a standard Dell Inspiron 5100 XP laptop with 256mb of RAM and a 40gb NTFS formatted Hard disk. I came across some problems. These may be to do with the installer, or (and I seriously hope this is not the case) with puppy itself.

The first problem was that the boot parameters given in the GRUB menu state that only the subdirectory c:\puppylinux421 should be used (the PSUBDIR=puppylinux421 boot parameter). Once the system has booted into puppy, the rc.shutdown(?) script offers to create a save file (pup_save.2fs) on the hard disk, however it saves this in the root of c:\ , not c:\puppylinux421 . The result is that the save file does not get picked up again when the computer is next restarted ("Oh no puppy lost my work!").

Another fault was that a puppy.swp swap file was not created on the NTFS formatted drive automatically. This caused the computer to hang and not respond after some use.

Are these faults with this installer or Puppy Linux itself...this type of laptop is of an idea spec for people to install PL on it, a "target spec machine".

ICPUG

#80 Post by ICPUG »

Hmm - Strange.

If you do a manual frugal install By the Lin'N'Win method - which this installer is based on - then when you come to the save file creation you have the choice to specify where it goes. If you choose the same partition to which the main Puppy files are installed the default directory option is where those files are stored (as pointed to by psubdir). If you choose another partition I am not sure what default directory is given - I never do that!

Regarding the swap file - I am not sure if I remember correctly but I don't think creation of a swap file was automatic with Puppy 4.2.1. It is with 4.3.1 - but I am not sure I like it. It creates a swap file hugely bigger in size than the one Windows creates when it boots up! On free space challenged hard drives that is not nice. Not sure why you think the lack of swap file is why the laptop hangs after a while. Could there be another reason?