Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 20:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy-Win32-Installer
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 5 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
tasmod

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug 2009, 17:46    Post_subject:  

"Does not compute" error, error, error Question Exclamation Idea Arrow Question
ecomoney

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2009, 06:41    Post_subject:  

Hi Rob, Ive sent you FTP details via PM, thanks for sorting this out.

Sorry, my server is down atm!
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2009, 08:25    Post_subject:  

Quote:
root=/dev/ram0

this was needed for older kernels and is not related to subdirectories....in case there was any confusion there.....a lookup table of puppy versions and menu requirements perhaps..the version could be taken from the pup_xxx.sfs name.

mike
tasmod

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2009, 11:09    Post_subject:  

Uploaded puphamsamben.exe file to ecomoney server. Took a while as it kept dropping connection.

This is the full version.

http://www.ecomoney.eu/puppy/winstaller/puphamsamben.exe

ecomoney

PostPosted: Fri 21 Aug 2009, 18:47    Post_subject:  

Cheers Tasmod, I will give it a quick test before I submit it to the HSB thread. Smile

ecomoney

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 18:35    Post_subject:  

Its taken me a while to get this tested, sorry. I tried it on a compaq Evo N110 laptop which has Windows 2000 already installed fresh from a new batch of stuff I recently picked up from a local school. It installed the dual bootloader fine, but when it was booted, I could not get rox to start (I didint try from command line), and only had a black screen with no icons. My instinct leads me to believe that this to be a fault with the HSB suite (one of its .sfs's?) rather than a fault with the installer program...but more testing is needed. I will refer it to the HSB team to see if any of them is able to diagnose the fault, and report back.

ecomoney

PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 17:31    Post_subject:  

Have done some more (3) tests, and the HSB installer worked fine Smile so maybe it was something specific with the above PC.

I tested the Puppy 4.2.1 installer on a Acer Aspire PC with 3 Partitions...a quite common setup, as many newer computers running windows are configured with one (hidden) partition for drivers, another for the windows install itself, and another for the users data. This is due no doubt to the constant need to reinstall windows after infection or corruption. I got this error...

Code:
Booting Puppy Linux installer 09-13-2009

label (hd0,0)/puppylinux421/vmlinuz psubdir=puppylinux421

Error 15 File not found

Press any key to continue

When I pressed "e" in GRUB to edit and changed the entries in there to (hd 0,1) puppy booted fine. I could then edit the boot.ini file and permanently change these settings so the bootloader worked without "expert" surgery.

I have had a callout from this client today (since I left) to say that now his Windows will not boot. I am calling tommorow to investigate this.

Attached is a (pretty poor) photo of the computers partition layout in gParted
partitions.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  partitions.jpg 
Filesize  408.56 KB 
Downloaded  372 Time(s) 

mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 18:02    Post_subject:  

Quote:
This is due no doubt to the constant need to reinstall windows after infection or corruption.

actually I suspect it's more to do with the fact that new machines often are not supplied with a proper windows cd..see you don't even get what you paid for.

That amazing picture seems to show the structure is still valid for windows....did you get to test windows before you left ? Since /initrd/mnt/dev_ro2 is the windows partition fingers may have had accidents.

As for the installer windows will be seeing sda2 as c:\ since sda1 is hidden..grub of course is not so blind...tricky one there. One idea that popped up would be to add a menu.lst entry either hidden or not that allows for the presense of a hidden partition.

mike
ecomoney

PostPosted: Tue 15 Sep 2009, 20:26    Post_subject:  

Yes mike, windows rebooted fine before I left. The guy is pretty determined to go linux all the way eventually (after I gave him a little "pep talk"), but still needs doze for now while his knowledge grows.

Ive seen a lot of computers with hidden driver partitions at the beginning of the disk (at least until I flatten them with DBAN and puppyfy them Very Happy ). The technical level of the users I suspect will use this installer will not know about this partition, so it must be checked for in the installation code. Seeing as this is under windoze, it may be tricky to detect.

Perhaps putting instructions in the readme file for changing the menu.lst if the installer fails for this reason the first time would be a quick work-around for the moment to cover this scenario.

ecomoney

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 12:59    Post_subject:  

using the standard puppy 421 installer, I came across the following error today (see screenshot attached). Clicking "OK" just brought the box requesting the location shown in the screenshot back again.

The installer created the bootup menu entry, but choosing "Start Puppy Linux" brought up a (windows) error message about NTLDLR not being found. Sorry I couldnt collect more details.
screenshot-pupinstall-error.JPG
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  screenshot-pupinstall-error.JPG 
Filesize  112.4 KB 
Downloaded  357 Time(s) 

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 24 Sep 2009, 14:10    Post_subject:  

Quote:
The installer created the bootup menu entry, but choosing "Start Puppy Linux" brought up a (windows) error message about NTLDLR not being found. Sorry I couldnt collect more details.

Hm funny last night I was testing a transferred XP install and I was getting such errors which apparently came down to CaSe sensitivity on ntfs...might be worth a try.

by the way why is it called the XP taskbar when it clearly is the XP tray bar Very Happy

mike
efiguy

PostPosted: Wed 02 Dec 2009, 13:23    Post_subject: Puppy-Win32-Installer
Sub_title: disk drive save file storage not found subsequent boot

Hi,

I am impressed, the subject system was a w98 fat32 update to XP sp3 in late '07.
The installer and boot menu executed flawlessly, and Puppy and XP will boot as requested, However, C: disk space will not allow a "Save file" to be adequately created.
Saving is then moved to another drive (in win it is D) (fat32) root sdb1 and it is placed there on exiting. On subsequent reboots this drive is not found before the need of the information within the save file.
I.E. that xorg, network and left handed mouse information has to be repeated for each boot.

I am betting that there is a file that can be edited to start "sdb1" early in the boot process, hope that is case.

What an asset this is to the windows PC, - Congratulations is in order - even if it continues to require a boot setup.

Open to suggestions and Thanks in advance for help

Happy Puppy user
jay
steve_s

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 12:05    Post_subject:  

Is there an alternative download site (for the original installer-creator)? I am trying to get this one going for Pup431, if it hasn't already been done by someone, but I keep getting error 404's when trying to download...server down? Anyone else got it or have other ideas? Wink
Caneri

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 12:23    Post_subject:  

This may be the one you are looking for

http://puppylinux.asia/members/seeker/

Eric
abedarts

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 12:33    Post_subject:  

NOW I find this, just after I did a dual boot XP / Puppy431 install the Lin'n'Win way. The only thing I did differently from Lin'n'Win was I also copied a pupsave.2fs from a USB install into my puppy431 folder, which seemed to go ok and saved me the hassle of having to set everything up again. Could I have done that with your new installer? Anyway I am going to try yours next, it looks really good.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 9 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum