Using isohybrid to make bootable isos

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
boscobearbank

Using isohybrid to make bootable isos

#1 Post by boscobearbank »

Decided to check out pup4-417-k2.6.30.1.iso on my Acer Aspire One AOA150-1570 netbook. The only bug so far: card slots don't work unless occupied at boot time.

One of the joys of a netbook is no optical drive. In an attempt to easily install pup4-417 on a USB stick (ok, so it's really a 4GB SD card in a USB reader - doesn't matter). In the past I have:

1. Formatted my USB stick with a bootable vfat partition, created a filesystem on it, mounted it, executed syslinux to install the bootloader, mounted the Puppy iso image, then copied all the files from the Puppy iso image to the USB stick

2. Formatted my USB stick with a bootable vfat partition, created a filesystem on it, mounted it, then used unetbootin to create a bootable USB stck from the Puppy iso

This time, however, it occurred to me that perhaps isohybrid http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.ph ... _DISK_MODE would allow me to create a bootable image that I could dd onto my USB stick.
Bottom line - it seems to have worked (at a cost of 890,880 bytes), and only required two steps:

Code: Select all

isohybrid pup4-417-k2.6.30.1.iso
dd pup4-417-k2.6.30.1.iso /dev/sdb
Much cleaner than unetbootin, but does require creating a separate partition for pupsave (and any other extra) files.
Bosco Bearbank

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

neat! :D

maybe one for mainstream adoption?

Aitch :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

The latest Puppy (416, 417) already has that isohybrid option.

Look at the 'BootFlash' utility in the 'Setup' menu.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Aitch

#4 Post by Aitch »

Thanks, Barry

With all the development going on, especially you, ttuuxxx & big_bass being so prolific, quite apart from all the others..... it's hard to keep up to date

Aitch :)