support for mp3 audio ended, now what?

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
nubc

support for mp3 audio ended, now what?

#1 Post by nubc »

Official support for mp3 has been dropped. Were it not for finicky audio devices I would not have made most of my collection in the mp3 format. For example, my Android smartphone refused to play .flv files, preferring only .mp3 files. Now experts are recommending the .aac format for YouTube audio, implying that YT plays audio in .aac already (I think). When I download a video, the selection says 128 kbps for .aac. That is not the greatest bitrate, frankly. I compared the file sizes for mp3 and aac and the difference is substantial, 14.5 mb for mp3 vs 5.0 mb for aac. Do .aac AV files play on Android devices, and work with Bluetooth? It's easy to see the file size advantage with aac, but, otherwise, is there any difference in audio quality between the two formats?

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

If the bitrates for the files are the same, there should be very little file size difference between different encoders (most definitely not the massive difference you have stated beween aac and mp3). All music audio encoded at a bitrate of less than 192kb/s are generally of poor quality (you can hear it) regardless of which encoder you use. If you do have to encode at lower than that use wma or aac, the output will be better than mp3 at lower bitrates but still inadequate as far as good quality is concerned. Almost all my music are mp3 encoded at 192kb/s or higher just because mp3 is so widely used on different players. At that bitrate mp3's are good enough. Personally though, I think wma is better but the difference in quality at that bitrate and higher is neglectable.