Warning when mounting NTFS drive

Booting, installing, newbie
Midlander12

Warning when mounting NTFS drive

#1 Post by Midlander12 »

Everytime I try to mount my drive I get this message.

The ntfs-3g driver was able to mount the NTFS partition but returned this error message:
WARNING: Dirty volume mount was forced by the 'force' mount option.

It is mounted read/write, but advice is only write to it in emergency situation. Recommendation is boot Windows and fix the filesystem first!!!

What can I do to fix this problem ??? Any help would be nice. Thanks.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

My guess is do what it says: Boot into Windows and have it scan the drive for errors. Then do a proper shutdown.

I can't help much on specifics since I almost never use obsolete software like Windows anymore. I know in the old days it used to automatically initiate a scan when you booted after a bad shutdown, and you could also run one after the boot by going into "My Computer" and right-clicking a drive to open the "Properties" window, then going to the "Tools" tab. But I have no idea if it still works like that.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Mysp

NTFS WARNING: step by step instructions

#3 Post by Mysp »

It is almost sure there are some problems in NTFS file-system (Windows file-system). It is not possible to say how severe they are but certainly your should NOT write anything and do check ASAP.
Instructions are for Windows XP, it should be similar for different Windows version.

1. Booting Windows normally and doing check in GUI
First try to boot Windows normally and do following (if windows do not boot normally try instruction later).
a) Open "My Computer" and right-click on the icon for the drive that is to be checked ( C: or D: etc.).
b) In the context menu that opens, choose "Properties".
c) Click the "Tools" tab at the top of the Properties window.
d) In the "Error-checking" section, click the button "Check now".
There are two check boxes (labeled Check disk options), you should check mark at least the first one. It is probably better to check both, but be prepared that checking for bad sector is very time consuming (maybe an hour or more).

2. Using command line (or Windows do not start properly)
If your prefer command line:
a) Choose Start, Run and type "cmd"
b) In command line box type

Code: Select all

Chkdsk C:  /F /R
Of course change C: for D: etc. as necessary. If you omit /R switch (= without bad sectors scan), chkdsk is faster, but I recommend to use both switches.
Windows may tell you that they need reboot and doing scan during boot.

If Windows do not start properly, try start Windows in SAFE mode.
Before Windows starts (immediately after BIOS boot) hold F8 for a while.
In (text) menu choose Safe mode. Windows try to load only most important drivers. Then again run Chkdsk (see above).

If Windows do not start even in Safe mode, NTFS file-system is really badly damaged (or there is even some problem with the disc itself).
In this case, you need your Windows installation CD (DVD).
After starting from this CD, do NOT install anything, choose Administrator console and run Chkdsk (certainly with both switches).

After Chkdsk repair NTFS file-system, you can try to use in Puppy Linux.
If Chkds is not able to repair the disc, you are in really big trouble. Probably the disc itself is damaged. Then the only thing you can do is to use low-level diagnostic utility provided by manufacturer of the disk. You will need to download them on another computer, burn the ISO image to CD and boot from the CD on damaged computer.
For example for Western Digital choose "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)", for Samsung hard drives look for "EZ-Tools". Carefully read and follow instructions of the manufacturer of the disc.

Mysp

Small corections. the correct name is "ES-tools

#4 Post by Mysp »

Sorry for typo. The correct name for Samsung drives is ES-tools.