Opera 10 (Qt 4.5.2) & SeaMonkey 2.1 alpha with Flash 10

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
DaveS

#16 Post by DaveS »

Mass of missing deps for Seamonkey 2, so would not run. Cant tell you what as the list was off the bottom of the screen.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#17 Post by DaveS »

Installed Opera. Seems brilliant. I had the previous version, so I just re-named the profile directory and loaded the old one to bring in all my previous stuff. Was this the right way to do it please?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

legendofthor

#18 Post by legendofthor »

G'day,
If you download it using Opera is downloads as a .gz file.
If you download it with firefox/firepup it downloads as a .pet file.
Go figure...
Cheers
Martin

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

panzerpuppy wrote:Rename to .pet and install.
Did so...installed it in NewYearsPup RC10///shows up in menu...doesn't run at all.

synth

#20 Post by synth »

tlchost wrote:installed it in NewYearsPup RC10///shows up in menu...doesn't run at all.
Run the "startopera" script in /root/opera/

synth

#21 Post by synth »

DaveS wrote:Mass of missing deps for Seamonkey 2, so would not run. Cant tell you what as the list was off the bottom of the screen.
Oops! I forgot to include an important lib in the package :)

brand new (fixed and updated) build coming soon
Last edited by synth on Fri 26 Jun 2009, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

synth

#22 Post by synth »

A brand new .PET package of SeaMonkey 2.0 (Jun 26, 2009) bundled with additional libs is now available for download.

Get it from the first page.

DaveS

#23 Post by DaveS »

synth wrote:A brand new .PET package of SeaMonkey 2.0 (Jun 26, 2009) bundled with additional libs is now available for download.

Get it from the first page.
Still reports missing libs but runs just fine thanks. Go figure :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#24 Post by DaveS »

Anyone interested in trying the Seamonkey 2 build from here, it is great. Handles web page rendering way better than 1x, especially fonts. No pages it cant handle so far, and no crashes. Even eBay seems OK, which often crashed earlier builds. Only bug I found so far, Aerodrop cursor does not change to 'wait' cursor during wait periods. Flash 10 is NOT included in this .pet.
Thanks Synth, great work. I know this stuff takes ages......................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jakfish

#25 Post by jakfish »

This is good stuff, this new seamonkey build. Using eee 900/4.1.2, I've yet to crash. With SM Alpha 2.03 (circa March '09), several favorite sites of mine would crash 100% of the time.

This version is very fast, AND with the 2.0 build, the addessbook will sync with google contacts. Couple that with gcal, a synching daemon that works between sunbird and google calendar, I no longer have to worry about a PIM for Puppy.

For those still tied to a machine with XP/Outlook, full syncing with a Linux machine at last.

Many thanks for your hard work, and to reiterate, this is a more stable build than 2.03.

Jake

firak

Amazing surf ! on puppy 4.1 on eepc

#26 Post by firak »

:idea:
Taks fot the pet . work amazing good. Solved some problem about websites that ask for flash10 and amuse me, on sped and function.
Of course for eepc I costuminze atlittle bit the loolbars to use ths small screen.

The turbo finction of opera also useful some times,
The unite funtion of opera is interesting, I will try. looks like a remote storage that mybe useful for small pc.

Proud of you puppy linux staff & fiends, to keep alive and updated the best os for pc= pupy linux!

DaveS

#27 Post by DaveS »

Some advantages of upgrading to Seamonkey 2
Downloads email when browser is loaded
better rendering of web pages in general, esp font sizing
MUCH better handling of browser focus when clicking links in emails
Feels snappier all round
MUCH nicer theme

Disadvantages
Slower to load? Feels like it.........
Cant yet load email section alone. Has to be loaded through browser
Play sound alert for email is broken
Cursor selection imperfect

No crashes so far.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

synth

#28 Post by synth »

Use the the Addon Manager to disable the Debug plugins and it will load much faster :)

synth

#29 Post by synth »

Coming Soon - Special packages of Opera 10 and SeaMonkey 2 :

- A tweaked build of Opera 10 Unite with Qt 4.5.2 libs.

- A newer build of SeaMonkey 2 bundled with Flash 10.

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

synth wrote:
Use the the Addon Manager to disable the Debug plugins and it will load much faster :)
Done. Did not make much difference, but to be fair, I am splitting hairs here. Just ran the updater to update to latest version. Updated no problem. SOOOOO glad they stopped putting the build no in the title bar now. Also upgraded Flash to 10.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jakfish

#31 Post by jakfish »

SM Updater works fine with these specs: eee 900/4.1.2/frugal install

A small problem with SM updates: it doesn't appear to delete the previous 2.0 installation. For instance, when I did a puppy save, I lost 14 mbs of space, about the size of the update. Is there a directory I can delete?

Jake

DaveS

#32 Post by DaveS »

jakfish wrote:SM Updater works fine with these specs: eee 900/4.1.2/frugal install

A small problem with SM updates: it doesn't appear to delete the previous 2.0 installation. For instance, when I did a puppy save, I lost 14 mbs of space, about the size of the update. Is there a directory I can delete?

Jake
Jake........... did you ever think about storing the seamonkey/mozilla stuff OUTSIDE your save file? Try this: Go into your file manager (Rox I guess), and navigate first to /root/, which should be the default opening window. Hit the arrow icon at far left to navigate to /. Click on mnt, then on /home. Leave that window open. Then open another Rox window, this time to /root/, but displaying hidden files. You should see a directory called .mozilla. Drag this directory and drop it into the first window you opened. From the pop-up options, select MOVE. Then repeat the process in the reverse direction, but this time, from the pop-up select LINK ABSOLUTE. Congrats. You just moved .mozilla out of your save file, but Puppy thinks it is still there! Do the same for the seamonkey directory. That will recover your save file space. What is the advantage? If you install another Puppy version alongside the one you have now, you can link mozilla and seamonkey in the same way, which allows you to work with emails etc stored in a central place, but accessible to any distro you load.
With a little bit of creative thinking, you can exploit this ability to all kinds of stuff. Store your files in my-documents? Move them to /mnt/home and symlink! on and on..................
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jakfish

#33 Post by jakfish »

Wow, many thanks for these tips. Let me try them out and post back.

Jake

jakfish

#34 Post by jakfish »

DaveS,

That did it. I got about 90mbs back, which is about two SM 2.0's worth. Even though SM and .mozilla reside on a SD, I don't see any decrease in speed.

Many, many thanks,
Jake

DaveS

#35 Post by DaveS »

Ok Jake, brilliant. Now lets look at a little of the power of symlinks. I am guessing, but I guess you are running one of the 4.2 variants. Again, lets guess you have a normal email account, with say, www.crapmail.com. If you set this up originally through seamonkey 1.1.15, it would have built you an email account called say, pop.crapmail.net. When you installed seamonkey 2, presumably you allowed it to import all your email, bookmarks etc? So. You now have your emails in two places, seamonkey 1.1.15, and seamonkey 2. Trouble is, if you access your email via 1.1.15, it will save in a different place to SM2. You see the problem?
So. In /root/, follow the mozilla link, and you can navigate to your 1.1.15 email file. It will be in /root/.mozilla/default/n44rjsz7.slt(or something like)/mail/pop.crapmail.net. Leave the window open.
Now open a new window and navigate to the SM2 imported version. It will be in /root/seamonkey/wthelsu0.default(or similar)/mail/pop.crapmail.net
OK. So rename the SM2 version (its better than deleting coz you can go back) to maybe pop.crapmail1.net. Then drag and drop the 1.1.15 version into the SM2 directory and from the pop-up menu again choose to link.
Congrats. Both versions update and read the SAME email folder!
You can do the same with things like bookmarks (bookmarks.html), in fact anything you like.
If you then decide to dump SM2, you will still have all your email intact.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!