OpenOffice.org EDIT- SOLVED

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Henry

OpenOffice.org EDIT- SOLVED

#1 Post by Henry »

I've been happily USING Nop413r1 for some time. No problems! Using OpenOffice-3.0_1.sfs without java. If I want to do things requiring java I can use jre-1.6.0_11.pet. OK, but a huge decrease in pup_save space.

But now I see a couple of new OpenOffice sfs that include jre:
OpenOffice301_JRE_lzma_413.sfs
OpenOffice310_JRE_lzma_413.sfs
These work BUT when I open a document I see a sea of red - every word is flagged by the spell checker except those I manually add to the dictionary.
I tried to add another English Dictionary via extensions; that got rid of the Red Sea but still no working spell checker. Why do I need a spell checker? I'm an excellent speller but a terrible typist :-)

Bigger problem (in 310):
Tools | Options crashes (closes) OpenOffice.
Last edited by Henry on Thu 25 Jun 2009, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

christarboton

OOo 3 sfs Crashes

#2 Post by christarboton »

Whenever I use OOo Impress on converted MS PPT files my OOo crashes to desktop with no warning message given - why? I am using PUP 4.2 from a 4gb flash partitioned to a 1gb for PUPPY. My processor may be slow - i believe 600mhz - but this is making this not work for me. Love the new speed on other apps, but for work I need the OOo apps to be stable and work. Any answers?

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

FWIW the only time I've had trouble with openoffice in Puppy was when I had a corrupted save file. But I haven't had Java most of the time. I seem to remember reading in the openoffice bugtracker about crashes with PPT files though?
A slow processor shouldn't be a problem. Lack of ram might be, but I doubt it - I think if you were that short on ram Openoffice would run so slowly that you wouldn't use it.
If it crashes consistently you should start it from a console so that you can see any error messages it spits out.

BTW I always use my own openoffice .sfs files, made from the standard .deb package with a reasonable amount of rubbish stripped out.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gray

OOO oo ?

#4 Post by gray »

Henry : I know Oo_301 was a bit unstable but I have been using Oo_310 for some time now without problems. With or without JRE makes no difference.

Cross corruption is probably the issue. What do I mean ?
Just swapping one Oo sfs for another does not work well because Oo deposits file changes into your save file. The next Oo sfs file is then merged into the layered filesystem in puppy and is generally not tolerant of the debris left behind - hence the flakeyness. It can even get flakey having unloaded and reloaded the same Oo sfs !!

If you use one Oo sfs with a fresh puppy savefile you should be fine. Alternatively you have to unload the existing Oo sfs, reboot puppy without the Oo sfs and then delete the Oo files in /opt and also the hidden directory .openoffice in /root.
After saving you can add the new Oo sfs and reboot.

Henry

#5 Post by Henry »

I am not talking about OpenOffice per se, which I have been using satisfactorily for years. I am talking about two specific new sfs's that appeared recently in the Nop repository that have jre included, i.e.

OpenOffice301_JRE_lzma_413.sfs
OpenOffice310_JRE_lzma_413.sfs

Only information about these is relevant to my question. See the detail at the top.

Another quirk I observed: They get into a spurious "document recovery" loop unless I first run math a couple of times, or, if I put OO Quickstart in the the Xfce autostart. As noted, none of these problems occurr with the older non-jre OO sfs, all tested in my excellent Nop 413r1. These are careful, repeated observations.

I was hoping gray would reply but he keeps a low profile :-)

Thanks.

Henry

#6 Post by Henry »

Sorry, grey, for the cross post, and thanks!

I suspected something like that, and will proceed thus now.

Henry

Henry

#7 Post by Henry »

Works fine now, and I gained back 2M of pup_save space.

As is often the case, package management problems make Linux difficult for regular users.

Thanks,grey

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

Is deleting the openoffice folder from /root the only thing you did that could have fixed it?
You shouldn't need to delete openoffice folders from /root and I've often upgraded to newer .sfs files and never had to do so. (But I have always deleted any remnants in other places, just in case)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Henry

#9 Post by Henry »

Is deleting the openoffice folder from /root the only thing you did that could have fixed it?
I simply deleted what grey advised in both opt and .root. I can't answer your question.
You shouldn't need to delete openoffice folders from /root and I've often upgraded to newer .sfs files and never had to do so.
Yes, of course. This was always my experience before. I consider this equivalent to a package management problem, perhaps unnecessarily removing initialization.