documents and settings

Using applications, configuring, problems
tremon

documents and settings

#1 Post by tremon »

hi,
i installed puppy linux to recover data from my laptop that crashed.
although i only got 1 hard disk, puppy linux sees 2, sda1 and sda2. when i open sda1 i see what's usually on the C: drive and i can perfectly navigate through the drive, except for the folder Documents and Settings, when i open that folder i just see an empty folder!

is it possible to login to a user account so i can get administrator permission and perhaps than i can get access to the Documents and Settings folder?

or is there another way to get access to my documents?

thanks!

PS: when i open sda2 i just see the folders boot, BP, PRELOAD, RECOVERY, $RECYCLE.BIN,... and some other weird folders and files

RetroTechGuy

Re: documents and settings

#2 Post by RetroTechGuy »

tremon wrote:hi,
i installed puppy linux to recover data from my laptop that crashed.
although i only got 1 hard disk, puppy linux sees 2, sda1 and sda2. when i open sda1 i see what's usually on the C: drive and i can perfectly navigate through the drive, except for the folder Documents and Settings, when i open that folder i just see an empty folder!

is it possible to login to a user account so i can get administrator permission and perhaps than i can get access to the Documents and Settings folder?

or is there another way to get access to my documents?

thanks!

PS: when i open sda2 i just see the folders boot, BP, PRELOAD, RECOVERY, $RECYCLE.BIN,... and some other weird folders and files
Linux (Puppy or otherwise) doesn't know anything about "administrator permission" for your XP/NTFS hard disk -- that is, it DOESN"T CARE that your XP might have locked down permissions, and will bypass any such protections.

The fact that your Documents and Settings is empty may well be the reason it crashed.

NOW!!! You must be very careful to not write anything to the drive.

You may wish to try using an undelete to see if you can recover anything from the drive.

Or the data may have been moved. I killed a virus on a friend's machine, which had installed itself in the recycle bin, and protected itself so it couldn't be deleted, and the user couldn't install virus software.

If a virus moved your files, they may still be there. If they were deleted, you need to try a recovery.

You'll need a disk to "restore" files TO (for obvious reasons, you don't want to write the restored files to the HDD you're trying to recover).

I have used Knoppix (5.1.1) for "recover" (the undelete tool) -- Puppy does not have "recover", but does have "ntfsundelete".

I have used "recover" (don't know much about ntfsundelete other than it exists).

http://ntfsundelete.com/

tremon

#3 Post by tremon »

thanks i found the files and i can back them up now :)
learned something great about linux thanks!

RetroTechGuy

#4 Post by RetroTechGuy »

tremon wrote:thanks i found the files and i can back them up now :)
learned something great about linux thanks!
Excellent...

Glad you were able to rescue the files.

It's a good idea to have a backup of anything you will have trouble recreating or otherwise important. I store my important personal documents/family photos on an external HDD, and have a 2nd one that is a clone of the 1st.