How to remaster Puppy from HD install? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
davywavy

How to remaster Puppy from HD install? (Solved)

#1 Post by davywavy »

Hello :wink:

I have recently installed puppy on an old laptop. Due to a lack of memory I have installed it to the hard drive. I am now happy with the system and would like to remaster.
Can this be done from a HD installation? What program do I need?

Also, the PC has a CDROM but no burner. Can I save the remastered "image" , transfer it to a USB device and reboot from it if needed?

I am new to linux so any "for dummies" advice would be great.

Dave. :)
Last edited by davywavy on Sat 20 Jun 2009, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Search the forum on this one...remax comes to mind.

I remaster 4.12 from a full install using dougal's remaster script from puppy 2 cos it works....only flaw is Xvesa won't run proprly on first boot (does subsequently???) and I added the exclusion of /boot to its list...it can rebuild just the sfs and source from a copy of the original sfs on the harddrive say in root (autodetected)
A script is handy and can take care of things like hidden lock files and uneeded files.

You could do it manually..ie build the tree up yourself...the core command is mksquashfs (source folder) pup_xxx.sfs
..and you can add in stages ..eg prepare /etc then add it then /root and so on. Usually folders like /dev are kept pristine ie taken from the original sfs.
Once you have the new sfs then just swap it with the old using isomaster.
mike

davywavy

#3 Post by davywavy »

Thanks Mike

That all sounds complicated but I will try and take it in.
I have tried Remax but can't work it out yet. A manual build is way beyond my ability at the moment.

Is dougal's remaster script the same thing as remax?

Dave.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Remax is a tk/tcl scripts...dougals is a straight bash script from puppy 2 and easy to alter if needed.
Here's a copy for you to play with....cannot really break anything apart from produce a non working remaster.

mike
Attachments
dougal_remaster.tar.gz
(9.41 KiB) Downloaded 460 times

davywavy

#5 Post by davywavy »

Cheers Mike

I will have a play. See what I can learn.

Dave

davywavy

#6 Post by davywavy »

Thanks Mike.

Your download worked. I had one failed attempt (ISO created was only 49MB). The second try created a 105MB ISO.
I burned it to CD on another PC and the disc works perfectly, including internet connection settings.
If anyone wants to backup a FULL HD install and has no CD burner you can back up using the download link above and transfer the resulting ISO file to a PC that has a burner.

Thanks again Mike

Dave

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Oh cool...and for frugals you only need to make a new pup_xxx.sfs and only the original pup_xxx.sfs (in /root is good) is needed to created it.

mike

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Might it be possible to do it with Menu -> Multimedia -> ISOMaster ISO file editor? What would be the general idea?