More GKDial issues

Booting, installing, newbie

More GKDial issues

#1 Post by Guest »

It is well understood that the GK and WV diallers are generally considered old, decrepit and beyond resurrection. v1.5.14 in Puppy 1.0.6, like the previous versions, seems to work well when it does dial out, however, it won't always do this, especially if the modem isn't in circuit at boot up. This is very inconvenient as I use a switchbox to route my external serial modem amongst a plethora of machines. The faults seem to be associated with SW integration rather than raw code? Previous versions, which exhibited a wide range of initial connection faults, suffered similarly. In every case, line terminal programs confirm that the hardware, including the line itself, is in order.
Just what is going on and why might it be so difficult to fix? My knowledge of coding is less than zero. Changes were mooted at one stage. Guessing, DUN may be more relevant amongst live-CD and small distro users than ADSL? ipso facto, this might be a priority issue?

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

Sorry - above from Sage; have been fiddling with the cache complement this morning!

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

Never did get a response. If there's something I've missed or something straighforward that can be done, maybe 1.0.7 would provide an opportunity?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

I always assumed that you would have your modem connected when Puppy boots up.

Let's see, the modem stuff...
If you look in /etc/rc.d/rc.network, you will see a line:

Code: Select all

setserial -v -b $DEVM auto_irq skip_test autoconfig
where $DEVM is the serial port, for example "/dev/ttyS0" (COM1).

That is supposed to initialise the modem.
Maybe you could try that on the commandline, after the modem is connected.

#5 Post by Guest »

Oh boy - can of worms, Barry! / / /rc.network is a long file with almost everything commented out.
Interesting item
#YOU MAY NOT NEED TO USE SETSERIAL... the docs are vague, even suggesting.....mess things up
and other interesting messages. Sort of thing I bumped into on the Web when I started looking.
This is definitely one for the experts! Guessing, some of those messages may originate with yourself?
Way beyond my cognisance. Needs something!
Look forward to your further definitive guidance!
And thanks, again.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

Forgot to say: running the setserial script in console did lock out GKDial, as predicted in comments!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

You could try resetting the modem. After connecting it, turn its power off, then back on.

#8 Post by Guest »

Did that! A complete dumbo on Linux, but safely assume I try all the older tricks!!

#9 Post by Guest »

I am running 1.0.9CE which has gkdial 1.5.14 ,it doesn't accept user name longer than 25 character and wouldn't work if the user name has space. is there a way to fix this?
also sometimes i need to add prefix before the number but again it wouldn't allow more than 12 digits. so i tried to edit /etc/ppp/chatscripts/( isp config file) but it didn't work.

one more question if you don't mind guys :oops: how the heck do you know which protocol to use (chap or pap ).

too bad kde package way too big to download on dial up but i used it on my friend's puter and that KPPP really rocks .

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

You don't, a priori! Depends on a bunch of intangibles.
First you try CHAP, then the other options on offer!
You can use a terminal monitor programme to check your modem with ATZ, ATH, etc. - then dial ATDT(your number) should return BUSY.
Sometimes hard reset your modem, sometimes drop out of and into X to complete the process.
What about WVdial?

#11 Post by Guest »

Thank you Sage for taking the time to reply.
What about WVdial?
I get "error detecting modem"
hopefully pppgun (http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8880) wouldn't have the same problems I mentioned (long user name with space + long ISP phone number).
Thanks again for your reply.

Sage

#12 Post by Sage »

Yes, I've had all that, too. Mine was associated, inter alia, with cabling problems between my four interposed switchboxes! GKDial is a pig - old & broken even according to the gurus. You have to use 'Preferences' to change the default /dev/modem to /dev/ttySx, according to port, even if you intend to use WVdial later!!!! Hard reset the modem and reboot the PC after setting up. First time around, if it stalls, just leave it - sometimes it decides it will dial out after 5-10mins. - after that, it generally dials out at first time of asking. Also, WVdial requires setting up carefully - cf discussions. You have to remove the ' ; ' commenting-out punctuation marks at the beginning of the statements defining the phone number, U/N & P/W.
If all these still fail, prepare a 3-wire cable (2,3,7) and use that - it doesn't send all the signalling, errr, signals and 'ring', but these aren't strictly necessary to make the connection.
These diallers are very old and imperfect. Barry and others may have tried to patch them? Some reports suggest P2 works better, whatever that means.