Which Chromebooks Work with Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
vtpup

Which Chromebooks Work with Puppy?

#1 Post by vtpup »

If you have a Chromebook that works with some version of Puppy please list the Chromebook manufacturer and model here, and the version of Puppy you can successfully run on it. Please also mention how well it runs and if there are any issues.

I'm starting this post because I've run out of solutions to the lack of audio in any Puppy on my Acer R11 Chromebook. It would have been great to have a list of Puppy friendly Chromebooks before I bought that one. I hope this list will help others in their purchasing decisions.

For the record, and to break the ice, The Acer R11 Chromebook (CYAN Braswell chipset) will run Fatdog 800 series, but without functioning audio.

It will also run Bionic64, but without audio.

Most other Puppies will not work with the Acer R11 because it also requires a late kernel specifically with the cheryview pinctrl kernel module explicitly compiled in to have a working keyboard and touchpad.

What Chromebook do you have running Puppy?

The list so far:

Acer R11: (vtpup)
Fatdog 800 series runs. No sound
Bionicpup64 series runs. No sound

Acer C720 (rcrsn51)
with the Celeron 2957U chipset: sound works
with Celeron N28xx: sond does not work
(no Puppy specified)

Acer C720-2844 (vtpup)
MrChromebox Full ROM
Frugalpup UEFI installer
BionicPup64 frugal: everything works including sound
Fatdog64-810 frugal: sound works, but required enabling sound card in Fatdog sound utility

HP 14 ChromeBook (Bigpup)
sound does not work
Bionicpup64 8.0
Last edited by vtpup on Tue 14 Apr 2020, 01:46, edited 4 times in total.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

enrique

#2 Post by enrique »

Tell me I am silly, but I learn about Chromebooks until recently, few month. Is because I always stay away of Googles stuff. It is unimportant.

What I find important is that you can find this Chromebooks on the $100 USD range in the net. Yes it has minimal resources but many seems to suggest they are perfect for Puppy.

bigpup's thread seems to be your best shot. See Chromebook (How to use and put Puppy on a Chromebook)

Recently he mention Bionicpup is one of your best options
bigpup wrote:...The VIA Chrome HC3 probably needs the openchrome driver. I am now booted in Bionicpup64 8.0 (64bit OS).It seems to have everything already in it for openchrome driver.
Not sure, but maybe the Bionicpup32 8.0 (32 bit OS) may also have it.
You could try booting Bionicpup32 8.0 :idea:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113244
I hope it helps.
enrique

enrique

#3 Post by enrique »

vtpup the following is not available. So you may better ignore it, But it is what I would do. I do not have a chromebook, I wish I have. But in many occasion I had mention that a way to skip all hardware limitations has to be to reused own Chromebook kernel.

So best choice is to get your open source kernel source to get you own definitions. Some times this requires to collect proprietary blobs from your device.

Another way is to run in chroot. As I said I do not have experience on Cromebooks, but I did on Android. Similar concepts. Here will be my alternative.

Some how, we make a new script using fredx181's Debiandog-Live build system with a mixture of crouton chroot script. Point is to Run BusterDog in chroot under cromebooks own OS. This will allow you to have both OS running on same device.

https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton
https://github.com/DebianDog/MakeLive
BusterDog + build system (no-systemd)

Edited:
I belive this method should allow to run DebianDogs Puppys even in ARM Chromebooks.

Edited 2:
Moderators
The OP has informed he want this thread to serve as a list. Not for help. I took the title as if he ask "Which Chromebooks Work with Puppy?"
So what ever you guys decide to correct this, Feel free to delete my posts. I do not have right to delete my own post. I could remove the contain but the post will remain.
Last edited by enrique on Tue 07 Apr 2020, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

Look/post on Bill's rcrsn51 Stretch Dog starter kit thread.

I think I remember him getting around the audio difficulties on at least some Chromebooks by using a bluetooth speaker or usb external sound card.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1054817

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

puppy will boot on any ChromeBook that is X-86 hardware.
Usually has a Intel processor.

Sound is the only thing that seems to be a big problem to ever get working.
Not many ChromeBooks seem be able to make work, with internal sound hardware, so far!

All Puppy versions will not work on all computers.
There are many versions of Puppy, so at least one should work on a specific computer.

If it is a very new, or newer ChromeboBook.
The very newest version of Puppy Linux is needed.
It is all about the newer kernel in them has the hardware support.

I am posting this from a HP 14 ChromeBook running Bionicpup64 8.0.
It also will boot a lot of other recent Puppies and Puppy like OS's.
But Bionicpup64 8.0 seemed to be best fit.

Only problem is sound not working.
I actually got a specially compiled kernel, with specific setup for chromBook hardware, to help, but still no sound.

There are other Linux OS's that have all kinds of info about running them on ChromeBooks.
They all need some work a rounds to get it all working.
Still, there sound fixes, so far, have not worked for Puppy on my HP 14.

My topic, about ChromeBooks, is trying to get some info, in one location, to help others:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108246
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

I once had an Acer C720 with the Celeron 2957U chipset where sound DID work, and an older Celeron N28xx model where sound did NOT work.

I suspect that newer Celeron N30xx models will be problematic.

But in all cases, you should be able to get audio via a USB sound card adapter or over Bluetooth.

vtpup

#7 Post by vtpup »

I appreciate the general info Bigpup, but I intend this thread to be used by people to post specific models that they have tried which work with a Puppy of some sort.

And not other linuxes.

I'd like this to be a list thread, rather than a help thread, and its main purpose is to help make Puppy-centric computer purchasing decisions.

So, again, folks, if you use some version of Puppy or have tried some version of Puppy on a Chromebook, please just list the specifics of:

1.) The chromebook manufacturer and model
2.) The puppy version used or tried.
3.) Is it fully operational?
4.) If not, what doesn't work?

I'll add the specifics of your posts to a list in the first post of this thread.

Thanks kindly!
Last edited by vtpup on Tue 07 Apr 2020, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.

vtpup

#8 Post by vtpup »

enrique, no need to delete your post, nor does anyone else need to since they are useful to others, and were meant well.

In answer to your suggestions, there is already in existence a well developed means to dual boot a Linux (or Win) OS with ChromeOS, or even replace the machine's full ROM contents which will effectively turn it into an ordinary laptop without ChromeOS. Please see here:

https://mrchromebox.tech/

The main problems encountered in running Puppies after making the MrChromebox firmware adjustments is that Puppy included kernels may have been compiled without Chromebook necessary modules, and sometimes these can't be added after the fact via modprobe.

An example of a compile time-required module is the pinctrl-cherryview module needed by Braswell chip Chromebooks (like my Acer R11) to use the keyboard and touchpad. A kernel later than 4.13, and a 64 bit Puppy OS are presently required.

I just meant in my earlier post above that I hope people will from here on out also contribute the actual specific useful information requested in my first post so I can make a list of working Puppy/Chromebook models.

I should also answer here since it was brought up, that people should look at BigPups thread "Puppy on Chromebooks" for some good support information.

Also rcrn51 has also pointed out that usb or bluetooth speakers can be used with non-functioning audio computers -- please see his posts elsewhere.

However, this useful workaround nevertheless defeats the high portability/small footprint of a Chromebook device, one of its main attractions, besides cost.

Ideally, one would like to purchase a Chromebook that would work with at least one Puppy linux type.

Or a Puppy linux type will be developed that addresses the sound issue -- which seems to be a common defect so far. Which is why, enrique, your post is valuable.

Thanks all for contributing, my main concern was just that the main purpose of this thread would not get lost.
Last edited by vtpup on Wed 08 Apr 2020, 14:58, edited 5 times in total.

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

vtpup wrote:However, this useful workaround nevertheless defeats the high portability/small footprint of a Chromebook device ...
This is a common criticism from people who have not actually tried it. Consider the options:

1. A Chromebook with working audio. Plug in wired headphones or use the tinny internal speakers that consume power.

2. A Chromebook without internal audio. Use wireless BT headphones with NO change in the footprint or a BT speaker. Even a cheap mono speaker will give you better sound with less draw on the internal power. Or use a USB sound card adapter and wired headphones that extend your footprint by 2 inches.

vtpup

#10 Post by vtpup »

Hello rcrsn51, Actually I have tried it. I bought a USB dongle and also a compact battery powered bluetooth speaker for the R11. Both as a result of your suggestions a couple years ago.

That combo is impractical to fit into my daughter's backpack and set speakers up at her desk for each of her middle school classes. Also with a dongle sticking out of the USB port a couple inches with a headphone, it will sooner or later get broken off at school.

Speakers aren't practical to use on her lap in the living room at home while she practices French. Nor is it practical to set up speakers while sitting in a parked car doing Zoom, etc. etc.

A Chromebook is an ultra-portable inexpensive laptop. We aren't talking the need for high fidelity speaker sound here, but for a small form-factor computer that has reasonable audio communication capabilities. Like laptops have had for decades.

But preferences aside, the point of this thread isn't to recommend hardware work-arounds which, granted, are useful if you already own an audio crippled Chromebook, but to discover which Chromebooks do work with Puppy as expected of any laptop.

I'd love to hear more of what Puppies people have tried with their Chromebooks, and the specs as outlined in the first post. Even if there were issues.

Thanks, all!