Where are the shared icons located?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Oakems

#46 Post by Oakems »

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what happened there?

I downloaded that picture from the net, so I could upload it for clarity (and I couldn't find it in Puppy). I had it in my /root/ directory and since then I've rebooted and now it copies itself to /root/.thumbnails/normal/ upon boot up. I can tell because every time I boot up, the folder's text is in bold. like when you've just changed something about it, but its just got a load of numbers for the name, weird.

Would it be possible for Puppy to make those icons on the fly, somehow?

clarf

#47 Post by clarf »

ttuuxxx wrote:Here's what the package manager looks like with the 3 themes 8) 8) 8)
how good is that ?. Man I'm glad I got off topic this time, lol
ttuuxxx
I like new package manager looks and feel in 2.14r.

Although I have a problem when I maximize PetGet package manager, as you can see in the attached file, It shows nothing in the left side where it usually has the packages category (Desktop, System, Internet, etc).

I would like that colum for "Package", "description" and "dependecies" could be resized for easy search and read. Is that possible ttuuxxx?

Thank you ttuuxxx, for your efforts making these themes. :wink:
Attachments
PetGet_Maximized.gif
(50.96 KiB) Downloaded 420 times

ttuuxxx

#48 Post by ttuuxxx »

clarf wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:Here's what the package manager looks like with the 3 themes 8) 8) 8)
how good is that ?. Man I'm glad I got off topic this time, lol
ttuuxxx
I like new package manager looks and feel in 2.14r.

Although I have a problem when I maximize PetGet package manager, as you can see in the attached file, It shows nothing in the left side where it usually has the packages category (Desktop, System, Internet, etc).

I would like that colum for "Package", "description" and "dependecies" could be resized for easy search and read. Is that possible ttuuxxx?

Thank you ttuuxxx, for your efforts making these themes. :wink:
There is no need to max the size the of the package manager due to the fact that the 2 series never had that extra left column option, When I resued the series 4 package manager on the 2 series I first removed the extra left column because I was trying to make it as small as possible for small screen users like eeepc,acer one, and it didn't work anyways due to the layout of the system, I would of had to typed out hundreds of lines of code to update it.
So the way you have it is perfect for the 2 series, If i update 4/5 series it might be different.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ttuuxxx

#49 Post by ttuuxxx »

Oh but if your talking about the description/dependencies on the right hand side scrolling, I'll look into that :) it should max and reduce the need to scroll.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

eden6000

#50 Post by eden6000 »

and since then I've rebooted and now it copies itself to /root/.thumbnails/normal/ upon boot up
Oakems, that's normal, if you had that icon on /root, rox showed it to you as a "preview", and when it does it, it always creates a thumbnail in /root/.thumbnails/normal/; this happens also when you're browsing a dir with pictures inside of it...That's why in rox's options you have that "purge thumbnails cache" button, in order to avoid to fill up that thumbnail dir too much..As opposite, obviously, if you don't delete those thumbnails, when you browse an image dir you had already browsed, image previews load a lot faster.
Back to rox's original "go-home" icon, the only explanation I give me is that it's inside rox's executable, since I can't find it anywhere...

WhoDo

#51 Post by WhoDo »

eden6000 wrote:Back to rox's original "go-home" icon, the only explanation I give me is that it's inside rox's executable, since I can't find it anywhere...
It's a Gtkwidget used by ROX and hardcoded (I think). It is probably available inside the gtk library included with Puppy be default. It can be overridden by the gtkrc/iconrc call process though, or MU's gtkrc-mine version which is more universal in its effect.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Oakems

#52 Post by Oakems »

eden6000 wrote:the only explanation I give me is that it's inside rox's executable, since I can't find it anywhere...
Yep, I think your right. I've searched through every .png, svg, gif and any other .extensions that mean its a picture and its not there.

So If its hard coded, does that mean it can exist in binary form, kind of? and made on the fly?

clarf

#53 Post by clarf »

ttuuxxx wrote:Oh but if your talking about the description/dependencies on the right hand side scrolling, I'll look into that :) it should max and reduce the need to scroll.
ttuuxxx
Thanks ttuuxxx. That´s the idea.

Tech33

#54 Post by Tech33 »

MU wrote:Whodo, yes, and these are set by /usr/share/icons/, if you deactivate the internal rox icontheme.
See screenshots :)

Mark
Hi Can some one tell me how can I change the Rox Background color like in the screenshot it has been changed to silver ( Linux noob) ?

craftybear

#55 Post by craftybear »

Tech33 wrote:Hi Can some one tell me how can I change the Rox Background color like in the screenshot it has been changed to silver ( Linux noob) ?
Menu>Desktop>ChGtkTheme(?) ... window backgrounds, among other things, are controlled by the Gtk theme in Puppy I believe.
I CARE ... I just don't care about you!

robinzzon3

#56 Post by robinzzon3 »

TwoPuppies

gtkrefresh for Xenial

#57 Post by TwoPuppies »

The version of gtkrefresh that Mark provides a couple of pages back (here) still worked in Lucid-5287, but no longer works in more recent releases (such as Xenial). Hardly surprising really. It's getting pretty old now. I actually use this quite often to change the GTK Theme using a script. It's really handy.

Any chance of providing an up-to-date version?
Last edited by TwoPuppies on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 09:40, edited 2 times in total.
[color=#006699]What you really need is two puppies:
Puppy Linux, and the sort with four legs and a tail.[/color]

Mike Walsh

#58 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ TwoPuppies:-

Long time no see, mate. Glad you're still around....

I'm not at all sure which Puppy you're using now. Not still with Lucid, are you?

The reason I ask is because with any of the Puppies that use JWM (as you no doubt know, Lucid uses Openbox), radky's JWM DeskManager will perform a GTK theme change for you, along with a whole host of other WM-related functions. ....all wrapped-up in a very smart, modern-looking GUI.

If you're interested, you can find it here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101460

Hope that perhaps helps.

Mike. :wink:

TwoPuppies

gtkrefresh for Xenial

#59 Post by TwoPuppies »

Mike Walsh wrote:The reason I ask is because with any of the Puppies that use JWM (as you no doubt know, Lucid uses Openbox), radky's JWM DeskManager will perform a GTK theme change for you, along with a whole host of other WM-related functions. ....all wrapped-up in a very smart, modern-looking GUI.
Hi Mike. Thanks for the info. Yes, I did already know that. Back when I was using Lucid-5287 most of the time I created something very similar for my own use. It consisted of a collection of scripts, each of which would apply an entire co-ordinated Desktop theme at a single mouse click: background image, icons, themes for JWM, OpenBox, Pwidgets, GTK, ...the lot. All built into a nice GUI. Just click an image icon, and the entire Desktop Theme was applied automatically. I was really quite proud of it. But I guess I need to move with the times, so I'm using Xenial a lot more now. Just recently, I read a post of yours on another thread in which you made the comment the you have always customised the socks off all your puppies. I tend to do the same. Can't resist it. And I am pleased to discover that my Theme Scripts work almost perfectly in Xenial straight out of the box. One of the few things that does not work is that, while it automatically selects a GTK theme, it does not apply it. This requires the afore-mentioned gtkrefresh, which sadly seems to be too old to work in Xenial. Hence my inquiry here. I understand that with the JWM DeskManager I probably don't really need to get my own scripts working perfectly, but I'm really close, and having put a lot of work into them in the first place, it would be nice.

I expect that creating an up-to-date version of gtkrefresh is probably straight forward enough, and I would be quite prepared to do it myself, but I just lack the necessary expertise.
Last edited by TwoPuppies on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#60 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm. O-kayyy.....

When you say 'a newer version of gtkrefresh', are you talking about a specific binary, or something similar? I see, looking in /bin, there are several 'gtk-something or other' binaries in there.....but not one specifically named 'gtkrefresh' (gtk-refresh?)

Or are we here talking about a specific script, perhaps? I confess, I'm not exactly certain what it is you're referring to...

TwoPuppies

gtkrefresh for Xenial

#61 Post by TwoPuppies »

Mike Walsh wrote:When you say 'a newer version of gtkrefresh', are you talking about a specific binary, or something similar? ...Or are we here talking about a specific script, perhaps?
Here is what I know about gtkrefresh:

The version in Lucid is a binary file, and is located at /usr/bin/gtkrefresh
No equivalent version exists in Slacko or Xenial (or presumably any other recent Puppies).
(Not to be confused with gtk-refresh, which is just a GTK stock icon.)

Its uses include the following:
If you put these three lines in a script...

Code: Select all

sed -i '2d' /root/.gtkrc-2.0
sed -i '2i\include "/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks-Smoke/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"\' /root/.gtkrc-2.0
exec /usr/bin/gtkrefresh &
The first two lines will select the GTK Clearlooks theme "Clearlooks-Smoke", and then the third line (using gtkrefresh) will apply the theme.
In other words, line 3 has the same effect as pressing the OK or Apply buttons in Chtheme (the GTK Theme Chooser interface), but with the added advantage that it can be called from a script.

gtkrefresh is provided earlier in this thread by Mark (forum member MU). So I guess he is really the person to whom we should be talking. I have no idea if Mark is still active on the Forum. Sometimes people just seem to vanish. I am assuming that Mark created gtkrefresh, although I might be wrong about that. He provides some details about it in this post a couple of pages back. There is a download link for it here, so you can download it and have a look at it. He also provides a link to another thread where the source code for gtkrefresh can be accessed.

As I said in my first post, Mark's version of gtkrefresh does not work in Xenial, and what I am after is an up-to-date version of his binary file that is compatible with more recent Puppies (such as Xenial). If Mark did make the original we might be able to prevail on him to make us a new one.
Last edited by TwoPuppies on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 09:38, edited 2 times in total.

mikeslr

#62 Post by mikeslr »

Unfortunately, gtkrefresh is a compiled binary. Unlike a bash-script, you can't just change it or re-write it using whatever version of bash is currently installed on your operating system. You have to compile it; and to do so you have to obtain the source file and know what compiling instructions are needed.

Mike Walsh

#63 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm.....

Y'know, I have a sneaking suspicion, looking at it, that that source code might have been written with Puppy 2/3/4 in mind. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess as to whether a modern gcc, compiler, bin-utils, etc, could even do anything with it, since Puppy's code has changed quite a lot since those early days.

Added to which fact Mark Ulrich hasn't been seen on the forum in years. He's still in the Members list - but all his content and other references have been wiped, so there is no way of contacting him (unless you happened to have a current e-mail addy, and were keeping in regular contact with him).

TwoPuppies

gtkrefresh for Xenial

#64 Post by TwoPuppies »

That's a shame. Anyway, at least you have given me a definitive answer. Thanks to both of you for your replies.

TwoPuppies

gtkrefresh for Xenial

#65 Post by TwoPuppies »

OK, well after a great deal of searching it turns out that there is a more up-to-date version of gtkrefresh that works in Xenial. It's called pGtk-theme-refresh-1.1 and is provided by forum member Trio.

Here's the forum thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=811270

Download the PET:
Attachments
pGtk-theme-refresh-1.1.pet
/usr/bin/pGtkthemerefresh
(3.62 KiB) Downloaded 83 times