Optimising Puppy performance

WhoDo

#61 Post by WhoDo »

historymaker118 wrote: I realised that it could look good and was customisable to a point where I felt that I could proudly show my friends my computer that made XP look outdated. (See pic below).
I absolutely LOVE the icons, Bec! Have they been packaged for Puppy or do you have a tarball? I'd enjoy making a Dingo-compatible theme from them if one doesn't already exist!

The reason this gets to be such a touchy subject is that people sometimes forget the "Personal" in "Personal Computer" (another sort of PC, DaveS :D ). I guess the OP felt the latest version infringed too much on the "Personal" part of his computing experience. I think he gets it now, from a strategic viewpoint.

Although Puppy's looks are a source of "Personal" pride for me, I don't mind if someone doesn't like the same look as me; just as long as there is room for them to make it suit themselves I'm happy. Good points, Bec.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

DaveS

#62 Post by DaveS »

WhoDo is right Bex, those icons are brilliant. Never seen so many cross-eyed penguins, even though I am an optician :D :D
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

TheAsterisk!

#63 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I don't quite understand the OP's sentiment that the glitter is a "bug," to be honest. Extra adornment? Arguably.

Some of the "bling," as it's been phrased, kinda looked gaudy to me, like the fake analogue clock, but others I quite like, like the battery meter. I usually hide the taskbar, so having that monitor visible on the desktop is quite nice. The basic idea is sound, in my mind.
What annoys me far more than the widgets is the Ptray. For some reason, I just hate it, and I wish it destroyed on my system.

Really, though, 4.2.0, which I have on a flash drive (but 4.1.2 on my T22), is much better. 4.1.2 always told me that my built-in modem could be used when using the dial-up wizard, then froze the system, but the 4.2.0 live-CD just said, more or less, "Sorry- no can do," with no ill effects- a major improvement from before.
The only trouble I've had at all so far are some issues with Remaster Express (or is it Remax?) detecting the live-CD, but I won't say too much on that until I've tried it in 4.2.1 in a few days.

Otherwise, it's a very good system indeed, still outperforming pretty much everything else I've used for a friendly desktop. Thanks are due to everyone involved. Puppy Linux is a brilliant OS, including 4.2.

historymaker118

#64 Post by historymaker118 »

I absolutely LOVE the icons, Bec! Have they been packaged for Puppy or do you have a tarball? I'd enjoy making a Dingo-compatible theme from them if one doesn't already exist!
Hey WhoDo, I based this look off an icon set I saw when going through KDE-look.org, I already had the wallpaper and I thought that these icons would look nice with it. I then combined them with another smaller tux icon set (which I can't remember where i got them sorry) to create this look.
However I am not using them as normal icons in the picture I posted, but they are a pair of wbars that I use. I like being able to quickly access my most common programs easily and the fun mac-style jumping off the page makes my desktop feel 'alive'.

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=13025
Rebecca Brannum
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/48e7703760.jpg[/img]
"Embrace the Inner Geek" 8)

WhoDo

#65 Post by WhoDo »

historymaker118 wrote:Hey WhoDo, I based this look off an icon set I saw when going through KDE-look.org,
Thanks for the link, Bec. Seems like it might be too old though as I get a link target not found error when trying to download. Never mind. They'll turn up somewhere again, I guess. :?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

SilverPuppy

Wow.......

#66 Post by SilverPuppy »

A troll, huh? Wow sikpuppy......you've got more shoot-from-the-hip than I do, and I'm pretty outspoken! Just remember, attacking the speaker instead of their ideas makes the attacker look small, as though they are incapable of debating ideas. I'm not accusing you of this, as this is something we see every day on TV, and it's easy to fall into, I'm just saying that this is the impression a lot of people give when they do exactly that. BTW, thanks for sticking up for me, WhoDo. I guess we're still friends. :D

BTW, everybody, my limitless mirror is up, and if you have a server you want mirrored, just email or PM me and I'll make you FTP creds and a folder. It's here: http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/PuppyLinux/

If historymaker would like to REALLY make my day, he'll post that desktop wallpaper as an attachment to his next post. :D Please, please? I love that penguin.......

Speak of which, we need some graphics person to make us a default wallpaper of Tux hugging our Puppy mascot. Any volunteers?

mcewanw

Re: Wow.......

#67 Post by mcewanw »

SilverPuppy wrote: If historymaker would like to REALLY make my day, he'll post that desktop wallpaper as an attachment to his next post. :D Please, please? I love that penguin.......
I gather that "his" name is Rebecca ...

DaveS

#68 Post by DaveS »

mcewanw wrote:
SilverPuppy wrote: If historymaker would like to REALLY make my day, he'll post that desktop wallpaper as an attachment to his next post. :D Please, please? I love that penguin.......
Silverpuppy having a bad day?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

historymaker118

#69 Post by historymaker118 »

DaveS wrote:
mcewanw wrote:
Silverpuppy having a bad day?
LOL!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's the wallpaper! But I'm not sure it will fit your 'retro' themed puppy. After all it is 'bling'...
Attachments
tux2.jpg
Linux wallpaper
(53.55 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
Rebecca Brannum
[img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/48e7703760.jpg[/img]
"Embrace the Inner Geek" 8)

SilverPuppy

Ooops, sorry

#70 Post by SilverPuppy »

Sorry, Rebecca........

No, I wasn't having a bad day, I just don't usually read those footers/signatures/whatever they are, and didn't see your real name was there. Now that I was prompted to look, I see and oops. I also embrace my inner geek, BTW. :D Very cute little slogan.

Thanks for the picture post, you posted it while I was typing this, so I'm just editing it in. And even old farty ME doesn't consider desktop wallpaper pictures bling. :D Although I do recognize that in extreme cases of low resources, they can be omitted to same just a little more RAM.

Anybody want to make that Tux hugging the Puppy wallpaper? That's "bling" I'd LOVE to include in future Puppy releases, preferably as the default wallpaper. :D

panzerpuppy

#71 Post by panzerpuppy »

@SilverPuppy:

You should try Turbopup:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=318898

Even though it's an alpha release, it's extremely stable and much lighter than the no-bling version of 4.2.1. It's even faster than the original 4.0 series.

Try it,you'll love it :)

Coming Soon: Turbopup Beta 1 (a huge update)

SilverPuppy

Well then!

#72 Post by SilverPuppy »

Wow, that looks so cool! I'd love a single-digit idle RAM usage Puppy! I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the tip!