What printer should I buy?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
J_D_

What printer should I buy?

#1 Post by J_D_ »

Using Tahr, 6.05 fresh frugal install on a Toshiba A105 S2141. About a 9 year old laptop that just works great. I need a printer. I print so little that the cartridges dry out, not run out of ink. $100 budget. Easy install please.
For the record, Ive always just booted Windows for printing but I hate that. My old HP 6100 would think it was printing from Tahr but only gave me blank pages.

Please suggest a printer.
Thanks

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Thermal wax or one that uses thermal paper.
I also think you can buy pre-inked paper that you put in any impact printer sans the ribbon.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

J_D_

#3 Post by J_D_ »

J_D_

#4 Post by J_D_ »

Burn_IT wrote:Thermal wax or one that uses thermal paper.
I also think you can buy pre-inked paper that you put in any impact printer sans the ribbon.
No just regular paper for documents.

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

That will dry out!!

A thermal Wax printer uses plain paper.

J_D_

#6 Post by J_D_ »

Burn_IT wrote:That will dry out!!

A thermal Wax printer uses plain paper.
I am ok with it drying out. I just want a simple printer with a simple install.

J_D_

#7 Post by J_D_ »

Is wireless/ethernet better or easier to install, than a USB connection or does it matter ? Im ok with hooking up cables when I print. Most of the time the printer is in a desk drawer unplugged anyway.

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

Then use USB

J_D_

#9 Post by J_D_ »

Burn_IT wrote:Then use USB
Sounds good. How about a HP Laserjet 1102 ?Do the toner cartidges dry out ?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

No, the toner cartridges used in laser printers are already a dry powder, so they don't dry out. If all you want is black and white, definitely get a laser printer. The process by which the toner is put on the paper is basically the exact same idea as a xerox copier.

J_D_

#11 Post by J_D_ »

Flash wrote:No, the toner cartridges used in laser printers are already a dry powder, so they don't dry out. If all you want is black and white, definitely get a laser printer. The process by which the toner is put on the paper is basically the exact same idea as a xerox copier.
Thanks. Hoping someone has an easy install story.

J_D_

#12 Post by J_D_ »

They have this for less than $100 at Best Buy. Think I will go for it. Opinions ??
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2270DW ... =HL-2270DW

p310don

#13 Post by p310don »

That printer looks like it has linux driver support, which is obviously a good start.

Instructions for installing a brother printer in puppy can be found here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42533

And Flash is 100% correct in his recommendation of Laser as the way to go. A laser printer can sit there for years, and then work when you switch it on, due to the "dry" nature of the toner.

J_D_

#14 Post by J_D_ »

p310don wrote:That printer looks like it has linux driver support, which is obviously a good start.

Instructions for installing a brother printer in puppy can be found here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42533

And Flash is 100% correct in his recommendation of Laser as the way to go. A laser printer can sit there for years, and then work when you switch it on, due to the "dry" nature of the toner.

Thanks. Laser, for sure. The starter toner is suposed to be good for 700 pages. I dont think Ive printed 700 pages in my life, and I'm pretty old. I may buy it and if I get into trouble, I guess I can come back here, whining for help. :D

ndujoe1

#15 Post by ndujoe1 »

Collective advise in our computer club. Send your photos to be printed at Walgreens, Walmart, etc.

Stick to inexpensive B/W Laser Jet printer the toners will last a long time and usually you can obtain replacements at lower costs.

davids45

Inkjet=Epson Laser=FujiXerox

#16 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
I don't know where you are in the world.

But here in OZ, I have had good experiences with a FujiXerox colour laser, so a simple fujixerox B&W should fit your bill in price and having Linux drivers.
But before you buy, always check with Google for linux drivers for your exact model.
Also check toner costs - I used generics with no problems on the fujixerox.

For cheap inkjet colour, Epson are very recommendable, and I use cheap generic ink cartridges - the Epson branded inks are also good value if you don't want generic.
Again, Linux drivers are readily available on the forum (e.g. search the Hardware>Printers section of the Puppy forum). As is excellent help for when I get bamboozled.

Both brands of printer are generally robust & reliable, compared to others which I find feel flimsy in the shop.
Both were used on our home network so proved themselves with Linux and Windows. I have still to try the Epson from my android smart-phone (Epson App is installed but untested by me so far).

Good luck.

David S.

J_D_

#17 Post by J_D_ »

Ive decided it could be weeks or even months before I need to print. I am going to watch this forum and keep searching bfore I decide. I have set my mind on a laser printer though.