Puppy 4.2.1 Final

News, happenings
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#76 Post by Béèm »

Kenny-M
You don't specify if you have a full install or a frugal install.
The story about the save is a bit unclear.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Pizzasgood

#77 Post by Pizzasgood »

The frugal install saving directly to a partition method hasn't been tested very much for the last several releases. Sorry. :|

A workaround would be to follow the directions for installing the devx_xxx.sfs file on a full install. That method results in using more space and being less modular than the normal method, but it has the benefit that it will work in any type of install, as long as there is enough disk space for it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Kenny-M

#78 Post by Kenny-M »

"Beem, You don't specify if you have a full install or a frugal install. "

How do I know? I downloaded Puppy from ibiblio, burned to a CD then did a Puppy Universal Installer to an external USB hard drive.

When I shutdown down puppy the first line at the top of the screen says something to the effect it is at the highest level and a save is not necessary.

"Pizzasgood, A workaround would be to follow the directions for installing the devx_xxx.sfs file on a full install."

Where would I find these directions for a full install?

Thanks.

gposil

#79 Post by gposil »

[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

Pizzasgood

#80 Post by Pizzasgood »

Kenny-M wrote:"Beem, You don't specify if you have a full install or a frugal install. "

How do I know?
Look at the file /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE. There will be a line like this:
PUPMODE=2
If the number is 2, then you have a full-hd install. If it is 12 or 13, then you have a frugal install.

There are more obvious ways to figure it out, such as by going to / and looking around to see if you're in the root of the partition you installed to or not, but checking the PUPMODE is the most foolproof way.

I've mentioned here and there that I thought it would be nice if Puppy showed both the Puppy version and kernel version on the desktop automatically (with an option to disable that of course). I think it should also go ahead and show the type of install too. It could just check the PUPMODE and use that to decide whether to display "Frugal", "Frugal (on Flash)", "Full", "Live", or "Multisession".
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

01micko

#81 Post by 01micko »

I've mentioned here and there that I thought it would be nice if Puppy showed both the Puppy version and kernel version on the desktop automatically
Pizzasgood

I made a little script for that....Versioninfo
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Kenny-M

#82 Post by Kenny-M »

Pizzagood,

I checked my PUPSTATE file and PUPMODE=6?

Reading:
http://www.puppylinux.com/development/h ... works.html

Didn't really clear anything up. It did however have this table:

BIT-SET DECIMAL-WEIGHT MEANING
0 1 using tmpfs top layer (/initrd/pup_rw) of union.
1 2 boot partition (PDEV1) has puppy sessions saved in it.
2 4 pup_xxx.sfs file exists on boot partition (PDEV1)
3 8 pup_save.3fs file exists (sessions saved to file).
4 16
5 32
6 64 multisession flag.

My boot partition has sessions saved to it, No save_pup files. Bit 1
So my pup_421.sfs exists on boot partition. Bit 2

Also, my / directory has multiple directories in it.

So I guess a PUPMODE of 6 would be considered Full?

Which brings me full circle why dosen't Openoffice.sfs and devx...sfs work properly?

Pizzasgood

#83 Post by Pizzasgood »

Mode 6 is a frugal install that saves directly to the partition rather than using a pup_save.2fs file.

I really should have remembered to mention that, considering that it's the very mode I thought you were using! :roll:

So to answer your question about why it doesn't work - see above where I said I didn't know. ;)

Try the link gposil gave to dejan555's sfs installer. Like I said, the full-install method will work on any install, it just isn't as modular as the "proper" way.

Kenny-M

#84 Post by Kenny-M »

Pizzasgood,

I down loaded the "sfsinstaller" and attempted to install devx_421.sfs with it.

It appears to work fine. I can compile C and FreeBasic programs and they work. Real world test I compiled mount.cifs and ran it to mount two filesystems. It worked fine.

Result is after devx_421.sfs installed I moved it to my NAS box with the other pet, iso and other related files to Puppy 4.2.1.

So I guess I have to install any future SFS packages using sfsinstaller which is OK so long as Puppy dosen't self destruct.

I think I can continue to use the setup I have being aware of the differences.

Thanks for your help.

Brown Mouse

Re: Final? But devx_421.sfs won't run.

#85 Post by Brown Mouse »

Kenny-M wrote:I have installed Puppy 4.2.1-k2.6.25.16 (from ibiblio) on a USB hard drive and it appears to work fine.

I set Puppy to save directly to sdb1 which is the USB hard drive. So I have no pup_save.2fs file.

I found this paragraph interesting and wondered if you might be able to explain in easy terms how you achieved this.
Thanks

Kenny-M

#86 Post by Kenny-M »

Brown Mouse,

I have since moved to a different target but if memory serves
what I did was

1. Boot from the Puppy 4.2.1 CD
2. Using gparted create an ext2 partition on the USB drive /dev/sdb1
3. Used Universal installer and installed to /dev/sdb1
4. At the first shutdown when asked where to save I used /dev/sdb1
and let Puppy assign the defaults. I did not specify a file name.

That could be wrong but it's what I recall.

Bob Dog

#87 Post by Bob Dog »

Thanks for all the work and putting up with the social strife which was of doubtful assistance.

As one of many quiet Puppy 4.2.1 final users, it been a very stable platform that has proliferated locally. Linux is getting a better hold with such successful intro footsteps, having been well trialled.

Trust is something based on successful experience. :D

WhoDo

#88 Post by WhoDo »

Bob Dog wrote:Thanks for all the work and putting up with the social strife which was of doubtful assistance.
You're welcome, Bob Dog. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your experience with Puppy 4.21 "Deep Thought".
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

nitehawk

#89 Post by nitehawk »

WhoDo,...
"DeepThought" is still one of my favorite Puppies. 8)
It was (is) not only very classy,...but very functional, as well.

WhoDo

#90 Post by WhoDo »

nitehawk wrote:"DeepThought" is still one of my favorite Puppies. 8)
It was (is) not only very classy,...but very functional, as well.
Thanks, nitehawk. In all the drama that surrounded the release, it was easy to get caught up in the negatives without realising how many found it a positive experience. I'm glad you decided to remind me! :)
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

nitehawk

#91 Post by nitehawk »

I'm glad you decided to remind me!
...yes,..there are others who think of "DeepThought" as their favorite Puppy (I believe Colonel Panic is still running it). Which reminds me,...as well as TEENpup,....I need to put DeepThought back on my main computer. I'm afraid I just don't care for the Ubuntu-ized Lupu. I'm sure a lot of very hard work went into it,....and it seems to be extremely popular (but it just isn't for me).

Colonel Panic

#92 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:
I'm glad you decided to remind me!
...yes,..there are others who think of "DeepThought" as their favorite Puppy (I believe Colonel Panic is still running it). Which reminds me,...as well as TEENpup,....I need to put DeepThought back on my main computer. I'm afraid I just don't care for the Ubuntu-ized Lupu. I'm sure a lot of very hard work went into it,....and it seems to be extremely popular (but it just isn't for me).
Hi,

I was, but owing to what appears to be a bottleneck at my ISP most of the time I can't get online with any version of Puppy at the moment without clicking on the Dial button for 10 minutes (the exception is first thing in the morning, if I'm lucky). It just isn't worth it, so most of my browsing now is in Mint since I can set Mint's ppp dialer to autoredial, something I can't do in Puppy's dialers as far as I know (and I have asked).

I agree with you about Lupo btw. I've recently downloaded Lighthouse 5 and like the look of it (though still have the dialer problem). Whichever Puppy I run though, I always seem to come back to either Deeper Thought or Turbo / Turbo Extreme (which are also based on 4.20 / 4.21).

Deeper Thought is a good piece of work, as solid as any Puppy I've yet seen. Turbo Extreme's got those great Icewm themes like Odelite and Sand which don't seem to import well into any other puplet.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#93 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just a quick update; by a stroke of luck I got online with the seventh or eighth time of dialling from WVDial, so I'm posting from Deeper Thought (and it's well into the day, one of the busier times).

Must find a way to solve this properly though.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

oligin10

Favorite Puppies

#94 Post by oligin10 »

Just another thanks to everyone involved with this puppy. Not a big fan of the newer pups, as I don't care for the look of them. Hopefully someone will someday do a remaster of this version of puppy linux. I also really enjoy TeenPup 2010 Mini, which is based on this version. There is also the remaster with the newer kernel PuppyLinux 4.20 rt & smp. I know there was some hard feelings between developers, but imho this is the greatest version of puppy linux.

WhoDo

Re: Favorite Puppies

#95 Post by WhoDo »

oligin10 wrote:I know there was some hard feelings between developers, but imho this is the greatest version of puppy linux.
Nope, no hard feelings between developers ... just one rabid User with the capital U. Glad you liked it. It makes the work and the grief seem worthwhile. 8)