[TESTING]"puppy pfix=recycle" Boot Parameter

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Crash

#46 Post by Crash »

Yes, making the new .iso is as simple as replacing initrd.gz. I used the shell script I posted earlier to make it. I saw that other post and it generally agrees with my experience. Thus at present I'm shying away from IsoMaster and just doing the .iso assembly brute force.

I don't mind uploading a .iso file of this version, since it actually works. I already have one ready to go, since I made it to burn to a CD for testing.

To tell you the truth, I have never uploaded anything to an ftp site, just downloaded. If the information needed to access it is private, you can PM the information to me. I'll send up the .iso file along with its md5 checksum.

Let's see, three and a half months to produce the first working copy. Probably equates to one line of code per day! I guess I'd better not quit my day job.

ecomoney

#47 Post by ecomoney »

Crash has uploaded the full ISO to my server (cheers).

http://ecomoney.eu/puppy/recycle/

Testing required :D

Aitch, thanks for the post, but only one OS is installed with this, so GRUB isnt necessary. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

sidders

#48 Post by sidders »

I am keeping my beady eye on this post. I have a few things to look at, but i will get round to this.

Just to clarify Is it ok just to take the initrd.gz and stick it into any ISO (along with any other scripts needed)?

Sylvander

#49 Post by Sylvander »

At 1st post on this thread:

QUOTE:
"Simply burn the CD, and invoke the installer with "puppy pfix-ram" to start the installer."
Shouldn't that read:
puppy pfix=ram ?

Crash

#50 Post by Crash »

You should type "puppy pfix=recycle" when booting from a live CD.

GRUB v0.97 is indeed installed on the hard drive. However, only the binaries are copied. Kind of a GRUB install without GRUB.

The initrd.gz is specific to Puppy Linux V4.2.1. However, if you want to roll your own, it should work in a variety of releases. Just do similar steps as the README says, but modify your own init. The changes to init are minimal:

Code: Select all

diff init_orig init_new

179a180
>    recycle)    RECYCLE="yes";;         #do an install directly from Kernel (recycle old computers)
301a303,318
> # Added Recycle code:
> if [ "$RECYCLE" = "yes" ];then
>  echo " "  >/dev/console
>  echo  "Executing an install from the Kernel." >/dev/console
>  echo  "Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console..." >/dev/console
> # echo " "  >/dev/console
>  /bin/sh  fruscr_init >/dev/console
>   echo "Finished attempting install. Type anything to continue boot." >/dev/console
>   echo  "For developers type 'quit' to drop out to console." > /dev/console
>   echo  "Type ctl-alt-del to reboot, or hold down power button to turn off." > /dev/console
>   read drop_to_console
>   echo > /dev/console
>   [ "$drop_to_console" = "quit" ] &&  exec /bin/sh >/dev/console
> fi
> # End Added Recycle code.
>
/// Edited 10 hours later:
Oops, we'll get the command right yet. 'Course it shouldn't be too hard to forget - the name of this post is "puppy pfix=recycle"
Last edited by Crash on Wed 09 Sep 2009, 01:33, edited 2 times in total.

ecomoney

#51 Post by ecomoney »

Fixed - You have sharp eyes Sylvander...if your not a coder already you should be!
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!