Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
RetroTechGuy

Re: teen pup

#376 Post by RetroTechGuy »

ki_harding wrote:in the old version of puppy i only needed to click on the browser icon once to open seamonkey
this isn't the case in teenpup can i alter this?
I don't know absolutely about Teenpup, but generally you change the single click to open under Rox-filer. Point at any icon, right click and set Rox properties (single click occurs in 2 locations in the menu system).

prezent

lupu-501.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk

#377 Post by prezent »

First post here.
For 20 years with windows, for one week with linux.
The first try was ubuntu10 on a MiniDell 910 netbook and was an instant succes.
For 2 old laptops, I need to choose other linux and I choose Puppy.

Laptop1: Compaq Presario 1800 - PIII aprox 500mhz, 198 MB, DVD
Puppy5.01 run fine from CD. After that I install it on hdd and is working well.

Laptop2: ThinkPad 600e - PII 265 mhz, 224 Mb, CD-Rom
The same CD with Puppy5.01 is booting just a litle bit and after that stop:
"lupu-501.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console"
I wriite few cds, I try to install with wakepup2 from usb stick, hdd, cd-rom... no chance, the same message. :(
I try after with CD with puppy4.3.1 and it was not boot at all. I could not use Wakepup2 anymore, because the floppy is made with puppy lupu-501 and it is searching after lupu-501.sfs.

I see few other posts with the same problem and it is clear that some computer could not "see" this file. Strange....

Any suggestions are precious! Thank you!

prezent

#378 Post by prezent »

I continued to try to install Puppy on ThinkPad 600e (IBM).

1. I set from bios order for boot: floppy, CD-Rom, HDD; there is no boot with Puppy431 Live CD and Lucid Puppy 501 Live CD start booting and hang on with the same message as described bellow for wakepup2.

2. I write on disk drive, on fat 32 free partition, all the files needed for puppy install, even I duplicate the sfs file, one with default name and the second I rename in "lupu-501.sfs", but the same massage after boot with wakepup2 from floppy:

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives.... done
Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...lupu-501.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console....
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#

Not sure if in this message is any clue for my problem.
There is another way to try? Some help please?

Maybe I need to post in other forum section?

prezent

SOLVED wakepup2 problem: "lupu-501.sfs not found"

#379 Post by prezent »

Solved!
wakepup2 is case sensitive and in the puppy installation the files are in uppercase. I rename in lowercase: from LUPU_501.SFS in lupu-501.sfs and wakepup2 worked fine, can find the file... loading.

Suggestion:
The wakepup2 compiler should edit the software to look for LUPU_501.SFS file.

san-kernel

Lenguajes..

#380 Post by san-kernel »

Hola gente!
Ayer dí con puppy linux en su última versión. 5.0.1 muy buena sin dudas.
Instalé en un compaq deskpro p3 450mhz con 256mb y disco de 6gb.
Todo muy lindo... pero a la hora de buscar ayuda para instalar/modificar "algo", me encuentro que todo está en inglés.
La verdad, eso no me convence mucho.
De todas las distros linux que he probado, puppy es la que mas me ha gustado, tanto por su gráfica como por su comportamiento.
Creo que si no se implementa un soporte multi-idioma, mucha gente podrá optar por otras distros menos amigables, pero con soporte para otros idiomas, como debian, ubuntu etc.
Mi nivel de inglés es bueno, pero quería escribir en español para que se dieran cuenta de lo complicado que se hace "entender" un artículo.
Soy nuevo en linux, lo he implementado en pc's viejitas para router, ip-cop y smoothwall, y como so de escritorio actualmente me decanto por puppy.
Estóy corriendo la voz respecto a esta distro entre mis colegas, pero creo que si no se da soporte como mencioné, a otros idiomas, mucha gente no lo tendrá en cuenta.
Estóy teniendo varios problemas con esta distro a la hora de instalar software, pero voy a seguir indagando al respecto, ya que no soy de las personas que abandonan.
Saludos y suerte!
Los saludo desde Salto-Uruguay

prezent

Cann't install puppy with wakepup2 from ISO burn in Windows!

#381 Post by prezent »

Finally... I discover the wheel! :lol:

Yes, everyting about my problem (could not install puppy with wakepup2 because wrong named files) is old and solve already.
Here you can find all the story: http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm
The important part is this:

"Warning to MS Windows users
In the Puppy Linux forum, there are a few reports of the files on the Puppy live-CD or ISO-file being incorrectly named. Especially "PUP_430.SFS" (in the case of Puppy version 4.3) whereas the correct name is "pup-430.sfs". What needs to be understood is that this is not a new "bug", all prior puppies have it. The reason that you are seeing the wrong filenames is that Windows requires the ISO file (the CD image) to be created with Joliet Extensions. This is an extension to the original iso9660 filesystem. The Puppy ISO does not have Joliet Extensions as it causes problems with the multisession mode (saving sessions back to the CD/DVD).
The Puppy ISO has Rock Ridge Extensions, which is equivalent to Joliet Extensions and is the most common extension used in Linux.
The problem does not occur if you use a running Puppy to extract the files from the ISO or live-CD. With Puppy, all you have to do is click on an ISO file and it will be opened."

Anyway, for a new user like me, coming from windows zone should be nice a little warning or a method to prevent this error to happen,
maybe in the future :wink:

vistadied

Great

#382 Post by vistadied »

For getting on the internet and charging my pebble but other than that I am lost I would LOVE to use it as my only OS but I just don't get it and where is this tutorial people speak of if its the main internet page I don't get it I love that I can F2 and use simple commands but like I said I want to use it permanetly and get rid of Vista completely but I just don't get it :cry:

Stripe

Hi All

#383 Post by Stripe »

After using windows in various forms for the last few years, I have returned to linux after some security issues (windows 7 sending personal information out) After looking around at the distros available I decided on using puppy 5.00. after a few teething problems, mainly a few applications not working (solved by reinstalling them from pets) and getting my head around the sfs file system (not being able to alter settings via the kernel) the ability to remaster the cd is a brilliant idea so that I can customise puppy to my needs. The speed is amazing and all this from a 100Mb. (well done barry!!)
The only drawbacks are no gui for removing pre-installed aplications (to keep the size down) and I cant figure out how to utilise any ram above 256 (The most I have seen is 254mb being used)
After using puppy for just 3 weeks I am well and truly hooked. Congratulations on building the best linux operating system I have ever seen
Stripe

camcb

Puppy love

#384 Post by camcb »

I'm running Puppy 4.2 on a USB stick that I downloaded at a friend's house after XP crashed the SSD on my EEE PC 900a. I really dreaded running another Linux OS after past experiences with problems installing programs using Apt/Synaptic and pinning, which was all very confusing to me. I desperately needed an OS though that I could run on a USB stick, since I don't have a CD rom or SSD anymore. Puppy runs so much smoother and faster than XP ever did. The Puppy Package Manager is godsend for Linux illiterate people like me. It was so easy installing programs like Gimp, Wine, and for once I was even able to get my HP printer to actually work in a Linux OS.

I don't know how the latest version of Puppy works, but the only thing I would change is the auto save at shutdown. Especially for someone like me that tends to mess things up really really bad and needs the option to only save when I want to. I did find on this forum though how to comment out the last 2 lines in 13) in etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown to prevent the auto save. I'd prefer not to have to click ignore at start-up though, but that's not really a big deal. Other than that, everything is working so perfectly in 4.2 that I'm hesitant to upgrade to the latest version.

Thanks to the person(s) that made this terrific OS and everyone here at this forum for their support. Whenever I would Google questions about how to do something in Puppy, the links always led to this site.

Sylvander

#385 Post by Sylvander »

1. "the only thing I would change is the auto save at shutdown"
See post #223 and post #224 of my Puppy Linux thread.

camcb

You are the best Sylvander!

#386 Post by camcb »

Works perfectly! Now everything is perfect. I've only been fiddling with Puppy for a few days , but I feel really comfortable with it already, and that's really something coming from someone that kept a shortcut to System Restore on her desktop. :)

It's so nice not having to always run Spybot, CC Cleaner, Virus scanner, defragging, editing the registry, or System Restore (which never worked right anyway). Now if I mess something up, I don't have to try restore it to the previous state, I can simply not save it. It's hard trying to maintain XP on a 4 gig SSD. I couldn't even install updates from Windows Update because the files took up my entire drive. I've also read that Windows wears down the SSD on the 901a from constantly writing to it, so I would def advise anyone that is running XP on 901a to have a back up.

pishta

taking over disk?

#387 Post by pishta »

Im new to Linux but lots of Windows and DOS experience. My XP dinosaur laptop (Dell inspiron 8000) XP crashed and Im fed up with the NTLDR not found error, so PUPPY! Well worked right off the "live" (do they use that term anymore) distro as well as the USB one that I made. OK, so far so good. It even found the R128 ATI M4 video driver that I needed (I think) that Ubuntu 10.04 LTS could NOT find, hence the Puppy install. It also found the WG111 wireless USB adapter that I had (sees my network) but I cant log on for some reason so Im using a PCMCIA ethernet adapter eth0 attached to a wireless router in WAP mode (see, I am a little PC savvy) So I have a nice screen thats a little slow in scrolling but at least has internet access and features. GREAT! SO..why cant I get Puppy to be the default distro that it boots up too? My GRUB has 3 broken Ubuntu distros (one locked me out, and the other 2 are identical. works only in graphic safe mode and neither see the WG111 adapter) 2 memchecks and 2 WINXP loaders that are both broke in about 8 partitions total. I just want Puppy to absolutely wipe the drive down to 0's ,MBR and everything and install on 1 whole 40MB disk partition. I used both grub builder and modifier but neither saved the puppy install, except the USB install that I used on my working XP desktop PC. even with the "load in RAM only" option, I couldnt delete the partitions as a few said they were in use..by who? Oh yeah, my laptop has NO floppy drive so no DOS boot disk and Fdisk/format nuke option, and no USB boot option (told you it was old) so any help would be appreciated. Im sticking with Puppy but if I could get Ubuntu 10 to work, I like the disk mount it has (seems they are all mounted from the start) and the auto upgrade feature. It also runs in 1400X1050 in safe mode, I think my puppy is just above 800X600. Thanks!

Klunker

#388 Post by Klunker »

Huh? puppy? what's that?

ok all kidding aside. I'm happy so far as I'm Sgt. Schultz "I know Nooothinkk!" about Linux or puppy. It's been fun so far.

I'm doing the usb drive atm, n am a little lost on why I have to select all the install stuff every time I start puppy, like the Eng lang stuff n redo the video tests. Possibly it's me. And last night after spending a few hours installing stuff I didn't save my session. I forgot to mount a hd partition to save. So when i saw i was saving to my usbdrive I thought I could go back. O well.

Figuring out all the new things will be fun. I'm not a coder so I'm relegated to the operation of the system, and won't be making any programming changes.

Soon as I figure out all the other things I can do with puppy, like if I can update xorg to the new version and try a different driver for my lame intel vid solution. I have the loved 945 or 915, or whatever. I get a different number every time i look.

I'm not sending puppy to the pound.

zapp22

#389 Post by zapp22 »

My kudos to the Puppy team and contributors. No offense to others but to me Puppy has the user/client in mind more so than do the other distros.

One suggestion I have [and this coming from a PC hardware product manager of 20 years or so], is to consolidate the Puppy setup Wizardry into a sequence and step the first-startup user through each step.
I would let the technical guys decide what the most helpful sequence is.

Video
Sound
Network
Personalization
Mail
Attachments [big issues there... hotbays on laptops, mobile devices, etc].
Music/Mp3 player management [winamp would be great if Ipod support would ever gel there]

A word about Opera 2. This is probably due to some funk in Toshiba's LCD but Opera 2 itself looks a tad shabbier than does the static desktop on this distro. When I am feeling brave I'll mess with gamma etc settings. Videos, for instance, look to me like they are forcing very low resolution, like sub 380i but the screen is high def. Lots of artifacting.
I selected the Xorg face.

that all said, if it weren't for the fail on eth1 Wireless, I'd rate this distro a 9 out of 10.

a_santoni

Wonderfull Distro

#390 Post by a_santoni »

After trying Ubunto and LinuxMint ond my 4 year old laptops i am amazed at how easy it was to use Puppy Linux and set up my wireless network....would recommend to anyone.....

vvfrn3

Newbie - Ubuntu/windows converter

#391 Post by vvfrn3 »

:) I love the concept of Puppy being able to run on computers with no hardrive- A VERY BIG ADVantage!! THat is the reason I am converting because my hardrive failed :(. ANyways, I think Puppy should concentrate on fixing volume issues because I have had volume issues on both of my computters with Puppy/teenpup :( . I also think Puppy should concentrate on making their usb install better because I have tried many times to make it work , and it still doesnt work -_- thANKS FOR THE GREAT DISTRO :D

RetroTechGuy

Re: Newbie - Ubuntu/windows converter

#392 Post by RetroTechGuy »

vvfrn3 wrote::) I love the concept of Puppy being able to run on computers with no hardrive- A VERY BIG ADVantage!! THat is the reason I am converting because my hardrive failed :(. ANyways, I think Puppy should concentrate on fixing volume issues because I have had volume issues on both of my computters with Puppy/teenpup :( . I also think Puppy should concentrate on making their usb install better because I have tried many times to make it work , and it still doesnt work -_- thANKS FOR THE GREAT DISTRO :D
Have you repaired your pupsave so that it properly/cleanly unmounts on shutdown? This was my biggest source of "volume issues".

Read my post about 1/2 way down the page:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57072

The other thing that will help is to perform a "fsck" on every boot (this can be inserted into your menu.lst, or if you are booting from CD, you can patch the CD to perform a check on every boot).

The "fsck" takes very little time if the pupsave was cleanly unmounted. And is important if you didn't cleanly unmount...

Vegemite

#393 Post by Vegemite »

Some find programs intuitive and like to use trial and error to work things out over time.
Personally I don't have that luxury. I want an O/S that works and if it doesn't it should be easy to fix.
I need documentation on the programs in the distribution so I can get to the heart of it quickly.
[b]Bob[/b]

mwogden

how/where to ask for help

#394 Post by mwogden »

Hello everyone,
been using ubuntu and like it. want to try puppy.
my network-manager applet starts my
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 1410:2110 Novatel Wireless Ovation U720/MCD3000

but I don't know how to start that usb 3g modem in puppy

please tell me where to ask. I have searched and READ a lot in these
forums but still lost
thank you

One5860

#395 Post by One5860 »

Puppy was an excellent choice for me. I was trying to resurrect a Thinkpad R30 (not a bad computer, just the 8mb shared memory video card). XP was OK, but i wanted to try linux since liveboot of ubuntu 10.04 was too slow.

Boots up in about 1 minute.

Just one problem i have with it (being a windows "expert" but a linux newbie)
Some of the software you can get IS NOT THE LATEST version. For example, WINE. It is not working correctly and i believe that it could support my programs on puppy if Puppy could support the latest version (in the puppy package manager at least).

Also using Legacy GRUB. 1.98 is out, they may try that out, unless it craps up on older computers.