Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
Diabo84

New User in Forum - New User in Puppy

#196 Post by Diabo84 »

Hi to all

For the first time i wanna excuse me for very bad english, i don't study this language in my life... But i can understand the technical english very well, so speaking very bad! LOL!

If this is not a problem, i need an help for first installation (i have a little xp - new Ubuntu 9.10 with Grub2) and i wanna installed Puppy near that systems!

Can i have support if i open a dedicated 3D? :D

dogle

#197 Post by dogle »

Welcome, Diabo84, and please do not worry about English.

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but if you mean to set up a system to boot XP, Ubuntu or Puppy that should not be a problem. (Of course if you have a burn-capable drive you could just run Puppy in multisession mode until you're hooked and don't want the other two ... ;-) ...).

If you still need help after trying the Puppy search engines, please open a new thread and be sure to give details of your computer and Puppy version so that it is easier for people to give you accurate information.

Diabo84

#198 Post by Diabo84 »

Ok, thank you for the answer!

I take a little time to prepare my netbook (Acer Aspire One - 120gb hd) then i open a 3D for install Puppy near Xp-Ubuntu

A question: with Grub2 can i have a problem to setup the boot?

rokytnji

#199 Post by rokytnji »

Kinda New. Not a puppy expert. Wrote a small Tutorial a while back below

http://yatsite.blogspot.com/2008/09/com ... ws-95.html

I don't post much here, but have been a Linux only user for some time. Hope I can contribute as I learn the ins and out of Puppy Dingo which I am running as a dual boot with Xubuntu 8.10 on a IBM A22. Happy Trails, rok

mikeb

#200 Post by mikeb »

A question: with Grub2 can i have a problem to setup the boot?
the syntax is different...there is a thread here about it (cutting edge?)

Grub4dos supports ext4 and 256 inodes and uses the original grub menu syntax

mike

vtpup

#201 Post by vtpup »

I believe 3D here means CD, too?

mikeb

#202 Post by mikeb »

I think 3D is referring to a partition

It's like the united nations in here :D

mike

Aitch

#203 Post by Aitch »

cue Aitch's thread calling for support for a non anglophone/multilingual beginner's sub forum, please read...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 149#361149

all visitor's comments welcome

thanks

Aitch :)

mikeb

#204 Post by mikeb »

cue Aitch's thread calling for support for a non anglophone/multilingual beginner's sub forum, please read...
ahhhhh this host is held together with duct tape as it is. :shock:

With other projects eg cms...it is common to have independant support sites in all different languages (there is a chinese and japanese puppy site I believe...I got some modules there once :) )...with a custom puppy with appropriate language support perhaps.

ubuntu has support on irc in many languages unlike one offensive english one lol

Theres definately enough interest around the world to expand this

mike

Woni

#205 Post by Woni »

well lets see , I am new to puppy I am running Retro I don't recall which one I think 3.01 anyways the good the bad and the ugly..

I am running on a 400MHZ 384 memory laptop hence Retro I tried puppy 3.01 and 4.2.1 on My good desktop it ran great there are a few things Id love to change on 3.01 so off the CD no problems

now the 400 MHZ had XP on it and 512 mem one of the simms messed up anyways I tried to get puppy to work it took some research and I kept getting bad errors , nope I don't recall them.. so being a Windows computer Tech I decided to Dfrag the drive and see if I could get it working I deleated all partitions and started fresh with puppy ..

after a little disagreement (errors on startup) puppy finally loaded fine , unable to leave well enough alone I then tried to upgrade to 4.2.1 well that was a failure for this machine and I had to wipe the drive and reinstall

so everything works fine now except it is hard to find programs to work on here I have one called zdesktop_1_0_build_1513_linux_i686.sh
I cant get it to work at all then again I don't know linux so it is probably just Me .. the one issue with puppy retro I have found is I have it on a 7 gig internal HD and once in awhile the memory will max out and I will have to restart the computer I am thinking it has to do with memory allocation but I could be wrong

but all in all I am very impressed with this lil program it will take some getting use to I know this as I have been using Computers since Win 3.11

so now I am off to try to find a viable YIM program ,, Oh I do have 1 question for you all what internet browser works best on retro I go into an HTML chat room and I have nothing but problems with seamonky and firefox so.. suggestions??

thanks
Woni
walking the dog

francisco88

#206 Post by francisco88 »

I'm running puppy on a notebook cpu celeron 466mhz ram 128 mb 5 gb hd and works great. Thanks for this distro!

PS Anyone know where to download icewm for puppy? I can't find it. :wink:

Francisco

Diabo84

#207 Post by Diabo84 »

mikeb wrote:I think 3D is referring to a partition

mike
Ops!! Sorry, 3D is for Thread. in Italy Thread is near 3 (TRE) - D :D

For the grub i resolve with... new system! I have an empty notebook (old Acer) for my experiment! Puppy 4.3.1 and i waiting for a free time to work

Conan

Very thanks for Puppy's Staff!

#208 Post by Conan »

I'm more one user with "macarronic" english.

But Puppy is my first open door in Linux World. Fantastic.
I used Linux Puppy very well in this laptop.

Asus #8000
Pentium III 500
64mb ram PC66
HD 10gb (before was a 4.3gb)
video 2D 4mb
12.1" with 800x600x16

The older SO was a Win98se and was a Turtle comparated with the same note with Puppy.

The problems i have:

- don´t install my lan and pcmcia card... :(

- my keyboard is a part broken. "x" "c" "v" "b" "n" "m" in a QUERTY... but i don´t foud a VIRTUAL KEYBOARD. Exists? :)

- Exists a program to recover deleted data or files?

- My laptop don't shut down.... his stay HALTED.

It´s the litle things, but the SO is bigger, because it is the only of poor PC! :D
I am very grateful

diaeresis

#209 Post by diaeresis »

Hi conan
virtual keyboard here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=27792

shut down issues:-

find a file called menu.lst (I think!) and change this line:-

kernel (hd0,0)/puppy430/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=puppy430 psubOK=TRUE

to this:-

kernel (hd0,0)/puppy430/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=puppy430 psubOK=TRUE acpi=force

francisco88

#210 Post by francisco88 »

Dear users, anyone can tell me where to find IceWM for Puppy?

Thanks

Conan

#211 Post by Conan »

diaeresis wrote:Hi conan
virtual keyboard here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=27792
I downloaded to my pendrive and Puppy don´t install because is for old puppy file install format.

find a file called menu.lst (I think!) and change this line:-

kernel (hd0,0)/puppy430/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=puppy430 psubOK=TRUE

to this:-

kernel (hd0,0)/puppy430/vmlinuz PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda1 psubdir=puppy430 psubOK=TRUE acpi=force
menu.lst is the same from GRUB in boot directory ?

My PCMCIA is off :( http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 608#362608
thanks

Conan

#212 Post by Conan »

Sorry diaresis,
I just thought that here was a place to give our feedback.
So I wrote thanking have worked very well on my old laptop.
And I put what did not work. Only this.
be sending others to seek their problems would be very easy right? No one post any more and would use only the Help file.
And we still have the difficulty of the language and the different level of understanding of each other.
But anyway, thanks for your mp.

etude

feedback

#213 Post by etude »

Overall I have to give the install high marks. Got the iso, burned a CD and booted on an old K6 233 Mhz 256M RAM clone in about half an hour. I had a head start from experience doing same with Ubuntu/Xubuntu. As a mostly windows guy with some Sun Sparc end user experience, I have suggestions for helping the windoze-impaired:

1) A small explanation about what an iso image is vs file by file Cd burn would be helpful. Fortunately I had that behind me so I used the Ubuntu 9.02 Brasero to burn latest puppy to live CD. (Had to read wikis, download Express Burn, and experiment with burn speeds to get a live CD of Xubuntu.) This took a few days working around normal chores, so I was impressed when puppy took about an hour from the time I did a search on "small linux" distros to having it run in RAM. Kudos to all who contributed.

2) The full install using gparted is pretty good. I love playing with disk partitions for some OCD reason, I guess <g>. I ran afoul when I selected the frame buffer option, but could not get any video. Took brute force cure of rebooting windows, FDISKing the old partitions away and rerunning live CD. The install routine assumes you know what to do when trying to reinstall to a disk that can't be unmounted. I was lucky here but would an average user have the experience and confidence? SOme hints about how to recover if you guess wrong would help I think.

I also had to settle on a floppy boot as I could not figure out how to get grub to start from sda1, which has a dual boot windows config; the puppy system was on sdc1, IDE slave on secondary IDE channel BTW. Some mention of how to edit the menu.lst to change the default or where to find out how would be cool. This could simply be via comments in the menu.lst file IMHO.

Also, for some reason the live CD did not detect my adaptec SCSI card with 4GB disk and a scsi CDROM. So now I'm trying to figure out/remember if I need to manully edit an init.rc or whatever. Xubuntu found it with probes.

A bit of editing to get the little ambiguities out of the install hints would have helped me, as I tend to puzzle over things that are not nailed down tightly. But they are more encouraging and offer more background and anecdotal info than the Ubuntu couterparts.

Big challenge now is whether to persist with the intel pro 100 10/100 card that never did work at 100 Mb with win98 or win2000. Some help with the "resource not available" error code would be nice. Tried several inf files from various win versions but no good. Intel has some compilable code to roll your own but I'd rather buy a new card.

I used to do tech documentation so I would be interested in editing anything you have for dox before release.

Aitch

#214 Post by Aitch »

Hi etude

RE: SCSI

see here for SHS's tips on how he got SCSI booting to work in 4.1 alpha

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32108

Barry's original post here has 2 different SCSI enabled kernels, under 'Special puppies'

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -files.htm

Also see upup-466-SCSI.iso

Also ttuuxxx has just done a SCSI puplet, for testing....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=362752

Here's a search page for other queries

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29754

Aitch :)

etude

installation

#215 Post by etude »

Thanks. Can't believe I went to the distro page and didn't see the SCSI iso before.