Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
Zek23

Flash 10?

#106 Post by Zek23 »

Cool, so all I need is Flash 10... Is there a .pet for that? If not, I'm gonna need a little coaching. I've no idea what I'm doing as far as targz and command line are concerned. I am inclined to believe it is a software problem because I watch my RAM and CPU as I'm browsing, and it never gets near maxed out when the browser closes on me.

Tanx, Zek

James C

#107 Post by James C »

myst

check out /www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy

I've never had a problem with browser crashing either.

mikeb

#108 Post by mikeb »

puppyite

#109 Post by puppyite »

mystmaiden wrote:wishlist - sell me a usb drive with puppy already installed!
Your wish is granted. These vendors sell Puppy on USB:
OSDisc, Puppy 4.2 USB
On-Disk, Puppy 4.2 USB
I’ll wager it’s available elsewhere too if you prefer to shop around.

Edit: Upon viewing my reply I see James C has already answered your question. This can happen when a reply lands on a newer page (I didn’t read the whole thread, OOPS).

James C,

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy]http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy[/url]

mystmaiden

#110 Post by mystmaiden »

perfect! thanks folks!

myst

mystmaiden

#111 Post by mystmaiden »

Perfect! Thanks!
oops, repeating myself - sorry first post didn't go through until the second one did.
myst

Zek23

Flash 10

#112 Post by Zek23 »

Well, I downloaded the Flash 10 .pet, and my browser seems to be doing okay. I'll go to myspace and see if the browser holds up. Thanx again for the links.

Zek

Zek23

Bummer

#113 Post by Zek23 »

Nope, unfortunately my browser still doesn't seem to be able to handle myspace, yahoo, or any other site with banners and/or lots of info to transfer. In fact, it seems to be getting worse! Any ideas?

Zek

mikeb

#114 Post by mikeb »

Nope, unfortunately my browser still doesn't seem to be able to handle myspace, yahoo, or any other site with banners and/or lots of info to transfer. In fact, it seems to be getting worse! Any ideas?
bummer.
I don't think you mentioned which puppy version you are using

mike

stevesr0

From a permanent "newbie"

#115 Post by stevesr0 »

I have had experience with linux for a long time (since 1993 or 1994) , but always as a relatively nontechnical user not as a developer or programmer.

I wasn't able to make linux my main OS until I retired a few years ago.

I have been using Puppy as my usual linux distro for ~1.5 yr, probably. I remain a newbie, because I am primarily interested in using the computer to do things, and the "things" keep changing.

Obviously, there is a lot I like about it. Of course, like everyone else, I would like to be able to install any application that exists automagically, and I would like everything out there to work with puppy.

Now my feedback:

When I try something new, more than anything else I need a clear summary of the topic I am interested in.

Unfortunately, these have NOT been easy for me to find. Instead, there are many, many threads with different aspects of the topic I am interested in. It takes me weeks or longer to thrash through things and eventually either give up or find a way to accomplish what I want.

For example, I decided a few months ago to start using a webcam. I picked up a sale package with two cams (a Logitech for notebooks and a Labtec 1200).

I got the Logitech working with Skype (both video and audio) on my laptop and the Labtec with my wife's iMac.

Then, my laptop died and I started using a new one. On this one, the sound card used snd-hd-intel and as I found out, there is a general problem with USB microphone input from webcams. I eventually tried a microphone connected to the microphone input and Uh-duh, it works.

Then I gave the Logitech webcam to one of my grandsons, at my wife's request, so she could have video conversations with him.

I then went back to the forums to select a new webcam. Here I have become involved with the intricacies of different drivers, v4l (and v4l2), mplayer, livestreaming, xawtv, etc.

Interestingly, there is no summary that provides recommendations on selecting a webcam that will work easily under particular versions of puppy and what drivers and other utilities should be used and a simple step-by-step procedure.

I am retired, so I have the time to use and enjoy this, but I hope (in the next 20 years??) to become proficient enough with puppy to spend most of my time just using it.

Steve

Anniekin

#116 Post by Anniekin »

Puppy is commonly praised as being a lite, fast, and minimal distro. So I think alot of people come to it with the fear that it's features or programs might be limited. I'm afraid these fears are reaffirmed perhaps when they try the package manager for the first time. There aren't many major programs in there and what little there are may be difficult to install for the newbie user. Crucial programs such as Thunderbird, Skype, OpenOffice could be added, even though they are readily installable from this forum. It is actually easier to do so, as programs shared on this forum often come with specific instructions. If updating the petget manager is a hassle, maybe just do away with it, and have a comprehensive set of links to the best programs available on this site?

Aside from that it's pretty sharp. But it is not fast only because it has less rather because it was structured in a smart way. Maybe choose one of the derivatives for a "big featured" official release to complement the minimal one?

I agree for example with some of the other posts about Firefox over Seamonkey. Linux users deserve and have come to expect nothing less than the robust functionality of one of it's most famous prodigy. At least a link to getswiftfox.org in the package link manager suggested above?

Anyway the question itself may be irrelevant as puppy5 sounds as if it is on an entirely different plane...

Regards,

walter90

#117 Post by walter90 »

Overwhelmingly I am very satisfied with my Puppy 4.2. I don't like, however, that I can't just copy and paste as I could in Windows. I also would like to see a comprehensive manual included in the release. :D

Sylvander

#118 Post by Sylvander »

1. "I don't like, however, that I can't just copy and paste as I could in Windows"
If you install "X File Explorer" [Xfe], which can display a folder hierarchy PLUS 2 file panes [MUCH better than Windows Explorer]...
(a) You highlight say the left file pane [give it the focus by clicking on it], and then use the folder pane to navigate to a folder.
The contents of that folder [it might be empty] are then displayed in the left file pane.

THEN...
(b) You give the right-hand pane the focus, and use the folder pane to navigate to another folder [different to the 1st?]

(c) Then you might highlight [choose] certain contents of perhaps the right folder, and right click on those and choose either "Copy to..." or "Move to...", and you will be asked [by default] if you want the other pane [or folder] to be the destination.
Just OK that and watch the operation FLYING along at great speed.
[I'm always amazed at the sight]

2. The explanation above probably seems complex, but in practice it's really EASY, and a joy to do.
It feels so CERTAIN in operation.
In Windows Explorer I always feel like the files may go adrift, and end up in the wrong destination, but NEVER so in Xfe.

walter90

#119 Post by walter90 »

Thank you. I will give it a go. It does seem complex but I know once I've run through it a few times it will be easy.

rgoers

Impressive distro - but could use slideshow app.

#120 Post by rgoers »

First of all - I am relatively new to Linux. I've tried a few live CD's (Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc.) in the past. I set up my laptop to dual-boot WinXP and Ubuntu several months ago, since I was relatively impressed with Ubuntu.

However, my latest project - to turn a couple Toshiba Tecra 8000's into digital picture frames - led me to Puppy Linux. I'm working with a PII machine, with 128MB of RAM, and Puppy seemed to be what I needed. The install went flawless, recognizing my CF "hard drive" adapter, as well as my PCMCIA (Orinoco) WiFi card. VERY IMPRESSIVE (IMHO)!!! Especially on such old hardware...

Anyway, after lots of Google searches, I have noted that more than a few people are using Puppy as a platform for digital picture frames, and the common problem I keep seeing is that Puppy lacks a decent slideshow application.

Other than that - Puppy has more than exceeded my expectations. Excellent work... I've been chatting it up at work, and have a few colleagues who are going to be giving Puppy a try.

puppyite

#121 Post by puppyite »

walter90 wrote:Overwhelmingly I am very satisfied with my Puppy 4.2. I don't like, however, that I can't just copy and paste as I could in Windows. I also would like to see a comprehensive manual included in the release. :D
Try this: Open two ROX-Filer windows. Drag & drop files and / or folders between them.

TuxCommander and Xfe both two pane file managers ready for install by downloading, clicking the pet files.
Last edited by puppyite on Tue 15 Sep 2009, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

omskates

Beefing up PET and honing the How To section

#122 Post by omskates »

Puppy Linux is a great concept and has an excellent forum community. I love how snappy it has made our older Lenovo Thinkpad. The pop-up tutoring boxes are brilliant. I'd love to see the how-to videos updated to match newer releases. The PET package manager is brilliant as well and I agree with Anniekin that its to bad there's not more apps there. Is it a matter of difficulty compiling apps for the database, time, or willing participants?

I think when you are new and crossing over to a Linux Distro you're likely to have had experience with a machine pre-installed with Windows for you. Someone has already done all the work for your devices, adding drivers, codecs, players, video etc etc. and now you're faced with doing an OS install on your own. Except you're not really on your own because the community is there to make it possible for you. Has any one done a Vista or XP install from scratch on their 5 year old PC lately? (real question cause I don't use Windows, never have).

One thing that has kept me with Ubuntu is that I know I can always go to this maintained Ubuntu forum thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 by UBUNTU-FREAK who keeps it updated continuously and never fails to keep my Ubuntu OS running flawlessly. Keeping the "How To" section here in the Puppy forum updated and with clear Topics for easy reference I think is very important. I think it could be confusing as many of the "How To" threads seem to be discussion rather than clearly defined, step by step, instructions. If these could be moved to another section with a link like, "For discussion and questions on this How To Guide click here" and restricting the posts to being actuall "How To" guides intended for updating and maintenance. I noticed a lot of posts on this "Newbies" thread have concerns about this issue so I just wanted to bring it up.

I hope to be able to contribute more productively in the future.
Best Regards all!

mikeb

#123 Post by mikeb »

Is it a matter of difficulty compiling apps for the database, time, or willing participants?
Puppy focus is on making a selfcontained OS + apps that fulfills most needs rather than as a building block to build on. Plus since it changes significantly from version to version package compatability becomes a problem.
Has any one done a Vista or XP install from scratch on their 5 year old PC lately?
Yes ...It was easy..everything just worked. (9years old, XP SP3)

mike

puppyite

Re: Beefing up PET and honing the How To section

#124 Post by puppyite »

omskates wrote:Puppy Linux is a great concept
More than a concept, it's a reality.
I love how snappy it has made our older Lenovo Thinkpad.
It's snappier because it's no longer burdened with bloatware OS.
The PET package manager is brilliant as well and I agree with Anniekin that its to bad there's not more apps there.
Everything you seek is likely available in this forum or just ask and someone may make a pet to meet your need.
I think when you are new and crossing over to a Linux Distro you're likely to have had experience with a machine pre-installed with Windows for you.
And the world is a better place for it (sarcasm RE: Windows experience).
Has any one done a Vista or XP install from scratch on their 5 year old PC lately?
XP maybe but Vista? Why would they bother too? The result would surely be unsatisfactory.
(real question cause I don't use Windows, never have).
Real question: What've you been using?
One thing that has kept me with Ubuntu is that I know I can always go to this maintained Ubuntu forum thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 by UBUNTU-FREAK who keeps it updated continuously and never fails to keep my Ubuntu OS running flawlessly.
A thread like that for Puppy would be redundant since those things work right out of the box.
Keeping the "How To" section here in the Puppy forum updated and with clear Topics for easy reference I think is very important. I think it could be confusing as many of the "How To" threads seem to be discussion rather than clearly defined, step by step, instructions. If these could be moved to another section with a link like, "For discussion and questions on this How To Guide click here" and restricting the posts to being actuall "How To" guides intended for updating and maintenance.
Restrictions are not part of the Puppy vocabulary but I hear what you say.
I hope to be able to contribute more productively in the future.
Best Regards all!
Best Wishes to You!

TIP:

Code: Select all

[url=http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683[/url]
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

bones01

#125 Post by bones01 »

I haven't read through all the pages, but here are a few thoughts from someone who is persevering with Puppy, even though it really annoys me sometimes.

I love the live cd stuff. That I can take a cd anywhere and boot into a computer, do what I need to do (even on the Net) and then leave, is fantastic. The variety of programs is great too.

And the support on the forum is sensational.

Some of the things that make me want to give up:
.pup .pet tar.gz .deb and so on. These different file types are confusing to people who are used to looking for a .exe file. I know this represents an evolution of sorts, but I did get lost when I started. (Still not sure about tar.gz)

Grub - confusing.

Puppy Numbers. Is 4.2 in improvement on 4.0? Why are some people working on Puppy 5.0 and others on improving 2.17 or something like that. Is there an advantage to the old Puppy that I don't know about?

Computer Language - I still get lost, and this was what made it hard to start and keep going. When a newbie is confused, jargon really makes it hard.

The search - perhaps because the forum is so big, but the search results in either the forum or from the front page aren't so great. It would be great to be able to narrow them down.

(Why isn't there a link to puppylinux.org from the forum page?)

Anyway, there are a few issues. On the up side, I love the puplets, and have tried a few. And once I got over not understanding and just kept asking questions, I found the people who respond in the forums to be terrific.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB