Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 23:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 8 of 63 [939 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 61, 62, 63 Next
Zek23

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug 2009, 18:10    Post subject: Flash 10?  

Cool, so all I need is Flash 10... Is there a .pet for that? If not, I'm gonna need a little coaching. I've no idea what I'm doing as far as targz and command line are concerned. I am inclined to believe it is a software problem because I watch my RAM and CPU as I'm browsing, and it never gets near maxed out when the browser closes on me.

Tanx, Zek
James C

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug 2009, 18:25    Post subject:  

myst

check out [url]/www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy[/url]

I've never had a problem with browser crashing either.
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug 2009, 20:43    Post subject:  

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=27978&search_id=824140363

one flash 10 source..

mike
puppyite

PostPosted: Tue 01 Sep 2009, 08:21    Post subject:  

mystmaiden wrote:
wishlist - sell me a usb drive with puppy already installed!

Your wish is granted. These vendors sell Puppy on USB:
OSDisc, Puppy 4.2 USB
On-Disk, Puppy 4.2 USB
I’ll wager it’s available elsewhere too if you prefer to shop around.

Edit: Upon viewing my reply I see James C has already answered your question. This can happen when a reply lands on a newer page (I didn’t read the whole thread, OOPS).

James C,
Code:
[url=http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy]http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/usb/puppy[/url]

mystmaiden

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:40    Post subject:  

perfect! thanks folks!

myst
mystmaiden

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 10:44    Post subject:  

Perfect! Thanks!
oops, repeating myself - sorry first post didn't go through until the second one did.
myst
Zek23

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 20:13    Post subject: Flash 10  

Well, I downloaded the Flash 10 .pet, and my browser seems to be doing okay. I'll go to myspace and see if the browser holds up. Thanx again for the links.

Zek
Zek23

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 20:16    Post subject: Bummer  

Nope, unfortunately my browser still doesn't seem to be able to handle myspace, yahoo, or any other site with banners and/or lots of info to transfer. In fact, it seems to be getting worse! Any ideas?

Zek
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 21:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
Nope, unfortunately my browser still doesn't seem to be able to handle myspace, yahoo, or any other site with banners and/or lots of info to transfer. In fact, it seems to be getting worse! Any ideas?

bummer.
I don't think you mentioned which puppy version you are using

mike
stevesr0

PostPosted: Sat 05 Sep 2009, 18:34    Post subject: From a permanent "newbie"  

I have had experience with linux for a long time (since 1993 or 1994) , but always as a relatively nontechnical user not as a developer or programmer.

I wasn't able to make linux my main OS until I retired a few years ago.

I have been using Puppy as my usual linux distro for ~1.5 yr, probably. I remain a newbie, because I am primarily interested in using the computer to do things, and the "things" keep changing.

Obviously, there is a lot I like about it. Of course, like everyone else, I would like to be able to install any application that exists automagically, and I would like everything out there to work with puppy.

Now my feedback:

When I try something new, more than anything else I need a clear summary of the topic I am interested in.

Unfortunately, these have NOT been easy for me to find. Instead, there are many, many threads with different aspects of the topic I am interested in. It takes me weeks or longer to thrash through things and eventually either give up or find a way to accomplish what I want.

For example, I decided a few months ago to start using a webcam. I picked up a sale package with two cams (a Logitech for notebooks and a Labtec 1200).

I got the Logitech working with Skype (both video and audio) on my laptop and the Labtec with my wife's iMac.

Then, my laptop died and I started using a new one. On this one, the sound card used snd-hd-intel and as I found out, there is a general problem with USB microphone input from webcams. I eventually tried a microphone connected to the microphone input and Uh-duh, it works.

Then I gave the Logitech webcam to one of my grandsons, at my wife's request, so she could have video conversations with him.

I then went back to the forums to select a new webcam. Here I have become involved with the intricacies of different drivers, v4l (and v4l2), mplayer, livestreaming, xawtv, etc.

Interestingly, there is no summary that provides recommendations on selecting a webcam that will work easily under particular versions of puppy and what drivers and other utilities should be used and a simple step-by-step procedure.

I am retired, so I have the time to use and enjoy this, but I hope (in the next 20 years??) to become proficient enough with puppy to spend most of my time just using it.

Steve
Anniekin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Sep 2009, 22:28    Post subject:  

Puppy is commonly praised as being a lite, fast, and minimal distro. So I think alot of people come to it with the fear that it's features or programs might be limited. I'm afraid these fears are reaffirmed perhaps when they try the package manager for the first time. There aren't many major programs in there and what little there are may be difficult to install for the newbie user. Crucial programs such as Thunderbird, Skype, OpenOffice could be added, even though they are readily installable from this forum. It is actually easier to do so, as programs shared on this forum often come with specific instructions. If updating the petget manager is a hassle, maybe just do away with it, and have a comprehensive set of links to the best programs available on this site?

Aside from that it's pretty sharp. But it is not fast only because it has less rather because it was structured in a smart way. Maybe choose one of the derivatives for a "big featured" official release to complement the minimal one?

I agree for example with some of the other posts about Firefox over Seamonkey. Linux users deserve and have come to expect nothing less than the robust functionality of one of it's most famous prodigy. At least a link to getswiftfox.org in the package link manager suggested above?

Anyway the question itself may be irrelevant as puppy5 sounds as if it is on an entirely different plane...

Regards,
walter90

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2009, 12:34    Post subject:  

Overwhelmingly I am very satisfied with my Puppy 4.2. I don't like, however, that I can't just copy and paste as I could in Windows. I also would like to see a comprehensive manual included in the release. Very Happy
Sylvander

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2009, 13:03    Post subject:  

1. "I don't like, however, that I can't just copy and paste as I could in Windows"
If you install "X File Explorer" [Xfe], which can display a folder hierarchy PLUS 2 file panes [MUCH better than Windows Explorer]...
(a) You highlight say the left file pane [give it the focus by clicking on it], and then use the folder pane to navigate to a folder.
The contents of that folder [it might be empty] are then displayed in the left file pane.

THEN...
(b) You give the right-hand pane the focus, and use the folder pane to navigate to another folder [different to the 1st?]

(c) Then you might highlight [choose] certain contents of perhaps the right folder, and right click on those and choose either "Copy to..." or "Move to...", and you will be asked [by default] if you want the other pane [or folder] to be the destination.
Just OK that and watch the operation FLYING along at great speed.
[I'm always amazed at the sight]

2. The explanation above probably seems complex, but in practice it's really EASY, and a joy to do.
It feels so CERTAIN in operation.
In Windows Explorer I always feel like the files may go adrift, and end up in the wrong destination, but NEVER so in Xfe.
walter90

PostPosted: Thu 10 Sep 2009, 13:22    Post subject:  

Thank you. I will give it a go. It does seem complex but I know once I've run through it a few times it will be easy.
rgoers

PostPosted: Sun 13 Sep 2009, 23:47    Post subject: Impressive distro - but could use slideshow app.  

First of all - I am relatively new to Linux. I've tried a few live CD's (Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc.) in the past. I set up my laptop to dual-boot WinXP and Ubuntu several months ago, since I was relatively impressed with Ubuntu.

However, my latest project - to turn a couple Toshiba Tecra 8000's into digital picture frames - led me to Puppy Linux. I'm working with a PII machine, with 128MB of RAM, and Puppy seemed to be what I needed. The install went flawless, recognizing my CF "hard drive" adapter, as well as my PCMCIA (Orinoco) WiFi card. VERY IMPRESSIVE (IMHO)!!! Especially on such old hardware...

Anyway, after lots of Google searches, I have noted that more than a few people are using Puppy as a platform for digital picture frames, and the common problem I keep seeing is that Puppy lacks a decent slideshow application.

Other than that - Puppy has more than exceeded my expectations. Excellent work... I've been chatting it up at work, and have a few colleagues who are going to be giving Puppy a try.
Page 8 of 63 [939 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 61, 62, 63 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: